but I need some homework help.

I really need to know what kind of sentences these are (simple, compound, complex, compound-complex)

1. I believe that our own experience instructs us that the secret of Education lies in respecting the pupil

2. It is not for you to choose what he shall know, what he shall do.

3. By your tampering and thwarting and too much governing he may be hindered from his end and kept out of his own.

Any help is appreciated.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
Quote by Ironbodom

I really need to know what kind of sentences these are (simple, compound, complex, compound-complex)

1. I believe that our own experience instructs us that the secret of Education lies in respecting the pupil COMPLEX

2. It is not for you to choose what he shall know, what he shall do. SIMPLE

3. By your tampering and thwarting and too much governing he may be hindered from his end and kept out of his own. COMPLEX

Any help is appreciated.

Not sure, but, whatever...
I think that T00l is right, but I really don't know...this is weirdly embarrassing...and I think I spelled embarrassing wrong...arg
Quote by acoginthesystem
Yeah man, fourth grade sucks, huh?

Thats the sad, part. This is A.P. English homework We have just been focusing on intrepretive stuff so long that I forgot the fundamentals.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
Quote by Ironbodom

1. I believe that our own experience instructs us that the secret of Education lies in respecting the pupil

Complex. One main clause (see bold)

Compound I think. The comma serves as a conjunction between two clauses.

3. By your tampering and thwarting and too much governing he may be hindered from his end and kept out of his own.

Compound

Any help is appreciated.

That was tricky.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by Ironbodom

Any help is appreciated.

1. Complex "I believe that experience instructs that secret lies"
2. Complex "It is what he shall know, what he shall do"
3. Simple (despite what everyone else says there's 1 subject and a compound verb).

"He may be hindered and kept out"

BTW that's a horribly awkward sentence.
Last edited by Timothym at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by Timothym
3. Simple (despite what everyone else says there's 1 subject and a compound verb).

By your tampering and thwarting and too much governing he may be hindered from his end and kept out of his own.

Not simple!
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
By your tampering and thwarting and too much governing he may be hindered from his end and kept out of his own.

Not simple!

It's a compound verb, not sentence. It's a lot more clear if you diagram it but I can't here so:

He and I did this and that <- simple sentence, compound verb and subject two verbs with two subjects.

He did this and I did that <- compound sentence, two verbs with independent subjects.

Would you classify "I did this and that" as a compound sentence?