Page 1 of 2
I'm in the mood for some pickup taste testing, please name any rediculously hot humbucker pickups, either neck or bridge. I'm not talking like JB hot, I'm talking like Invader hot. I buy pickups used on eBay, and I like to swap them in and out from guitar to guitar, so any brand, whether currently in production or not, will do.

Also, it's gotta be passive. I am already well aquianted with all the active hot pickups out there, but I am wondering about all kinds of really hot humbucking passives, especially if they're not in production, since there is less of a chance I've heard of them, which is why I'm posting here instead of visiting manufactures websites.

It's gotta be crazy high output; name away peoples!
Dimarzio D-Activator X

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
I can't remember whether the SD Invader or Blackout is high output passive and the other is active. I think the Invader is passive.

Also, check out boutique pickups.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Warpig and Miracle Man.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
DiMarzio Super Distortion(got me one), Dual Sound, Evolution, Tone Zone(got one a them too) and X2N which is the highest output
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
bill lawrence LX-500 or whatever its called
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
bill lawrence L-500XL
Dimarzio Super Distortion
Bareknuckles
Seymour Duncan Invader

or you could go active and get the SD Blackouts

but why do you want so high of output? Most likely your tone will just end up really muddy, especially if you have a metal amp
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Mar 19, 2009,
Lundgren m5 (i think?)

its the ones meshuggah uses
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by lumberjack

Why?
And why?
Quote by davedoom
Why?
And why?

Because that's what the TS wants. It's a fair enough request; it's not like he wants us to choose between an MG and Spider for him.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Because that's what the TS wants. It's a fair enough request; it's not like he wants us to choose between an MG and Spider for him.

And I asked him - not you.....
Quote by shadow__666

HAHAHA!!

+1
Quote by davedoom
And I asked him - not you.....

And I'm saying that if the TS has a reasonably enough request, there's no need to second guess him.

Unless he plans to play these pickups through a Spider, MG or practice amp. Do you?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
And I'm saying that if the TS has a reasonably enough request, there's no need to second guess him.

Unless he plans to play these pickups through a Spider, MG or practice amp. Do you?

I saw you were a pussywillow on the other thread as well.

Can I ask this - to the TS - please.

Thanks.
I love EMG's, even though everyone hates them. Look at the 81 in bridge and the 60 in neck for good cleans.
flameshield up
Last edited by bulletrocks522 at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by pak1351
why does it matter?

Is it going to change the answer you give?

Quit being nosy

Thank you God.

davedoom- What the f*ck is up with you today? You're usually a pretty cool guy.

And no, I wasn't being a "pussywillow" on the other thread, I was merely voicing my opinion, which is widely held by most of the guitar-playing community, that both Marshall and Orange had, and still have, made some great amps.
Quote by Cathbard
Last edited by shadow__666 at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by bulletrocks522
I love EMG's, even though everyone hates them. Look at the 81 in bridge and the 60 in neck for good cleans.
flameshield up

Passive, man, passive
Passive
Duncan Distortion
Duncan Alt 8
Kent Armstrong Motherbucker
Lace Dually Red/Red
Duncan Invader
Dimarzio D-Activator/D-Activator X
Dimarzio Super 3
Dimarzio X2N
Bareknuckle Warpig
Bareknuckle Painkiller
Bareknuckle Miracle Man
GFS Power Rails
GFS Crunchy Rails
Gibson 500T
Gibson Dirty Fingers

Actives:
EMG 81
EMG 81TW
EMG 81X
EMG 60
Duncan Blackouts
Duncan Blackouts Metal
Duncan Livewires Metal
The Duncan "Metal" pickups will highly distort a Fender Twin on clean.
Quite a few more.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 19, 2009,
Seymour Duncan Blackouts AHB-2 Metal
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
I used to have a 57K Active Humbucker a while ago but it was stolen inside of a guitar...

Anyways, i know you want passive, but 57K is worth noting.

I cannot find a link to it though. Ill keep looking.
Quote by customisbetter
I used to have a 57K Active Humbucker a while ago but it was stolen inside of a guitar...

Anyways, i know you want passive, but 57K is worth noting.

I cannot find a link to it though. Ill keep looking.

that one was made by guitarheads or something, wasn't it ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Lace drop and gain
Lace alumitone (not high output, but the frequency response should be sweet for what your looking for)
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by customisbetter
i think so... its not on ebay anymore.

i found one on ebay. in gear ads ebay links are a i don't know about this forum so i'm just gunna be safe and not post it. here's a picture of it though,

http://home.comcast.net/~guitarheadsnet/ActHBb.jpg
Quote by al112987
WCR Hercs, Icebuckers, Iron Man

Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Teh GIR
Lundgren m5 (i think?)

its the ones meshuggah uses

This is EXACTLY the reason I made this thread; I have never heard of those pickups. They look like loads of fun, keep your suggestions coming guys!

Quote by Jake911
Q-tuners.

It looks like you could power nuclear reactors with those pickups

Quote by daviddoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack

Why?
And why?

Quote by bjovi400
but why do you want so high of output? Most likely your tone will just end up really muddy, especially if you have a metal amp

To bjovi400: If high-output pickups + metal-minded amplifiers = muddy tones, why on earth do guitarists in heavy genres that also require articulate tones always use high output pickups, hmm? Hotter pickups have a greater propensity for muddying up than do lower output pickups, but that doesn't mean just because I'm using hot pickups I'm going to get a muddy sound. There are some hot pickups that are muddier by nature than others, but if anyone out there is playing on at least decently articulate high-output pickups into a high gain amp and they can't dial in a tight sound, it can safely be assumed that they are A) playing with poor technique, B) are too inexperienced to tell the difference between a muddy tone and a well defined one, C) are ignorant of the methods involved in attaining articulate tones when using high output pickups and high gain amps, D) are morons.

To the both of you: I just love high output humbuckers. I love the way they sound, I love they way they sustain, I love the note definition ( or lack thereof depending on the model ), I love the grown, I love the bark, I love the scream, I love the way they make amps catch fire, I love driving tube pre-amps with a hot signal, I love saturated high gain tones, I love the way they can be used to annihilate diminutively proportioned woodland creatures....need I go on? Ok I will.

I just LOVE hot humbuckers, I can't put it any simpler than that. I have been playing for quite a while, and I've just grown to adore the things: I like to swap them in and out of different guitars and see how they respond to different species of wood, and to find which species matches which pickup best. I like to see which ones "take" to different kinds of string alloys, and I like to see which ones work with lacquer finishes and which ones with polys. I like to see which ones sound better with different potentiometer and tone-resistor circuit values; I like to see which ones "take over" an amps tone, which ones add too it, which ones leave it the same. I like to see which ones sound better direct mounted and which ones ring mounted, I FLIPPIN' LIKE 'EM!!

I believe I have made myself clear.

There have been a few really great suggestions, and as far as I'm concerned this thread is rockin'. The longer this stays up near the front of the forum the more chances I'll have at having someone drop in to mention a pickup I haven't heard of, thereby adding to my repository of high-output pickup knowledge.

Along those lines, what about discontinued pickups by mainstream companies? Obviously we can't go TOO far back in history, or else the pickups won't be "crazy hot" like I'm looking for, but I think we can head back to the 80's if need be. Wrack your minds people, I'll take any and all suggestions, or even just a name, model, or company title ( or even a part of one ) that might come to your mind. If you can throw out even a word or part of a pickup's name, I might be able to do some digging and unearth the beast.

For example: do you guys know anything about these pickups?

Duncan Performer Detonator

Seymour Duncan MegaDrive

As far as I can find via google and eBay, the MegaDrive was a hot pickup discontinued in the 80's, and the detonator used pole pieces like the Invader does, but that's about it. I'm still diggin' for info on those bad boys, but that gives you an idea.

Thanks for all the posts/suggestions, keep them coming!
Quote by lumberjack

For example: do you guys know anything about these pickups?

Duncan Performer Detonator

Seymour Duncan MegaDrive

As far as I can find via google and eBay, the MegaDrive was a hot pickup discontinued in the 80's, and the detonator used pole pieces like the Invader does, but that's about it. I'm still diggin' for info on those bad boys, but that gives you an idea.

Thanks for all the posts/suggestions, keep them coming!

the duncan detonator isn't actually a duncan, but a knock off that is absolutely terrible.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Duncan-Performer-Detonator-Pickup?sku=300134&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26021436

an invader clone that is worth looking at is the GFS crusader. i currently have it in the bridge spot in my viper and they seem to have corrected everything the invader always gets bashed for. pretty well balanced pickup, nice and clear under heavy distortion, and no sign of mud in sight.
Last edited by mikeyElite at Mar 20, 2009,
i gotta tell you right now that the Dimarzio D-Activator X has less output than a JB so whoever says it's extremely high output is wrong. I had both in the same guitar and that's what happened. maybe the X2N is high, but i doubt that it is extremely high output. EMG's are pretty much the highest output. Or Duncan Dimebucker. Bill Lawrence L-500 XL. Duncan Invader (iono about the tone on this one, i dont like.) duncan livewires/blackouts.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I think Dimarzio made the Megadrive and that is is similar to the look of a D-sonic.

and the Duncan performer detonator is sold at guitar center.
Joe Barden's get really mean and still remain articulate and extremely harmonic.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by ethan_hanus
EMG 81 hoked up to a car battire, can't get more hotter than that. I know its not passive, but its never been done on a active pickup, if it can be, to my knowlage.

I'm looking for recommendations, not insults.

ok can i ask one thing? do you just want us to reccomend ridiculously high-gain pickups (many are very bad), or are you looking for us to suggest a good one that you'd actually find good in your guitar?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Page 1 of 2