Hey all in UG bass land. I have made the jump (temporarily) to playing bass and had a question. I had to borrow a buddy of mine's bass for church this week, but I wanted to play before then. All I've got is my 50W Randall guitar amp, can I play the bass on that amp as long as I dont turn it up super super loud? Or can I play it really loud on there. I just dont wanna blow my amp up by playing bass on it.

Also, another question that hit me while I was typing...is there any reason why I couldnt plug it into my GT-10 pedal and play it on there as well? I know they make a GT-10B but since I'm borrowing this bass I cant really drop a grand on a bass amp and a MFX pedal.

Thanks for the help folks.
Elitists and Hypocrites
You're good w/ that amp, just don't play too loud. All pedals work interchangeably between the two, the effect just doesn't sound exactly the same is all.
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
dont turn it up, and your bottom end might sound a bit lacking
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
It would sound like complete crap and there's always a small chance to blow out the speaker, but it would probably be fine. The pedal would also kill the lower frequencies, but it would work.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
As long as it's low volume it will be absolutly fine.
People have the opinion that a bass will immediatly destroy a guitar amp on sight.
It won't.

If it's only practising for a week you'll be fine.

Also, second bass/guitar amp thread today. We seriously need to sticky one.
Quote by CSUTremonti777
Lol the first two responses contradict themselves...awesome

Playing basses through guitar amps is a question that has many contradictory answers. Some amps do ok, some don't. Even the Fender '65 Twin Reverb claims it to be a "perfect match for guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, vocals, accordion, and the electric violin among others." in the manual.

General rule of thumb is avoid using guitar amp unless you know that there is some kind of band pass filter in there to save the speaker. Also keep in mind that bass frequencies require crap load more power to the drivers for the same perceived volumes, over heating some amps very quickly.

My rule is "bass through bass amp only" just because I have blown speakers in the past.
Quote by Casketcreep
People have the opinion that a bass will immediatly destroy a guitar amp on sight.
It won't.

I think there is something about this in the FAQs sticky but it seems like a lot of people overlook it.
^ Ya, seriously. People act like if you so much as plug a bass into a guitar amp, the amp will explode with the intensity of an H-bomb. I've even played through a 10 watt guitar amp before. I don't think I've ever heard a worse bass tone, but the amp survived.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by Casketcreep
It won't.

if you are going to be the bass in a band setting, you will need a bigger amp preferably a bass amp, because you may survive a weak drummer with a cheap 50 watter, but the amp won't survive if it's a guitar amp.

and on the pedal, you can, but it will not sound very good, however bass is commonly played clean, so you don't really need the sounds that'll give you.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've played through my 200w Randall head pleanty of times. Sounds fine on the clean channel, sounds pretty neat on the crunch if you set it right. Just don't crank the volume and you'll be fine.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by the humanity
if you are going to be the bass in a band setting, you will need a bigger amp preferably a bass amp, because you may survive a weak drummer with a cheap 50 watter, but the amp won't survive if it's a guitar amp.

and on the pedal, you can, but it will not sound very good, however bass is commonly played clean, so you don't really need the sounds that'll give you.

Well I am going to be the bass player in a band setting (this week anyways) but I just plug into a DI box so no amp needed.

But thanks for the info folks I appreciate it
Elitists and Hypocrites
Quote by CSUTremonti777
Well I am going to be the bass player in a band setting (this week anyways) but I just plug into a DI box so no amp needed.

But thanks for the info folks I appreciate it

way more fun with a couple stacks of 4x12's.

just sayin...

but that's cool, use your headphone jack when you can.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
way more fun with a couple stacks of 4x12's.

just sayin...

but that's cool, use your headphone jack when you can.

If I win the lottery this week, I'll go out and buy me a big ol' Ampeg stack. I dont know if thats the best bass amp or not but I see everyone and their brother using them...

Hell if I win the lottery I'll send everyone that replied to this thread a check for 5,000 bucks
Elitists and Hypocrites
Quote by CSUTremonti777
Lol the first two responses contradict themselves...awesome

Lol nice

I used to use my guitar amp when i started, i was pretty much in the same position as u, i eventually got a bass amp and guitar dist pedal. Ive tried pretty much all combinations and all ive blown was my bass amp ironicly
Quote by Garou1911
I've played through my 200w Randall head pleanty of times. Sounds fine on the clean channel, sounds pretty neat on the crunch if you set it right. Just don't crank the volume and you'll be fine.

The head wouldn't get damaged, it's the actual speaker that can break

Quote by CSUTremonti777
Hell if I win the lottery I'll send everyone that replied to this thread a check for 5,000 bucks

also, replying just to be one of those people
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by capslockisnton
The head wouldn't get damaged, it's the actual speaker that can break

The head runs through a 4x12 Marshall cab if that makes a difference
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
As long as the guitar amp's below 30w it won't be a problem, but yours is a 50w, so I dunno... Wait, why doesn't your bassist friend have a bass amp???
Gear:
Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass
Kent Videocaster
Tech 21 SansAmp VT Bass Pedal
Quote by Punk P-Bassist
Wait, why doesn't your bassist friend have a bass amp???

+1
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H