i want to buy a tube amp and my dad is insisting that tube amps are horrible and are going to be giving me a lot of trouble.

what do you think, i know tube amps are very good.
50watt carvin nomad
edit: im using a line 6 spider3 15 watt
everything purple tastes like grape
everything blue tastes like blueberry
everything pink tastes like watermelon
everything red tastes like strawberry
everything orange tastes like orange
everything yellow tastes like lemon
Last edited by pwnagegnome at Mar 19, 2009,
uh... tube amps are good?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Tell your dad that hifi equipment and guitar amplifiers are two different things.
Also tell him to look at the equipment of pretty much any professional guitarist nowadays.
funny, cause tube amps are usually considered high end amps in comparison to ss
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
tube amps have the best tones, but they do require a bit more maintenance, but will be more than worth it

your dad is probably thinking along the lines of radios and stereos, where tubes are outdated
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Show him a few tube amps that you're interested in, and compare them to SS amps. That worked with my folks
Quote by justinb904
funny, cause tube amps are usually considered high end amps in comparison to ss
Irrelevant statement if you'd have read the first post.

His dad is right. They are going to give him problems compared to SS amps. He'll be playing one day (in a few years) and he'll then have a tube die. Then he's going to have to buy replacements and have them installed.

SS = plug and play with no maintenance (basically).

The trade off is sound. There are some alright sounding SS amps out there. Then there are a bunch of really affordable, really great sounding tube amps.
Last edited by ch0 at Mar 19, 2009,
i have a fender twin, and its amzing and it has full tubes. you may have to change them after a while but dude its worth it
For how often you need to replace tubes and how easy it is to do.. your guitar takes more upkeep than a tube amp.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by ChrisN
For how often you need to replace tubes and how easy it is to do.. your guitar takes more upkeep than a tube amp.

how much does it usually cost to replace?
everything purple tastes like grape
everything blue tastes like blueberry
everything pink tastes like watermelon
everything red tastes like strawberry
everything orange tastes like orange
everything yellow tastes like lemon
about a hundred dollars give or take
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I forget which way round it is; pre-amp and power-amp tubes but generally you change one set every year and the other set every two years. It depends how often you use the amp and how much you crank it. For mine it's roughly £60-75 every two years. I spend a helluva lot more than that just on strings.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by pwnagegnome
how much does it usually cost to replace?

I just swapped 2 Power Tubes and 3 Preamp tubes. Total cost including shipping was $81.00
Gear:
Ibanez Prestige 1421F
Epi Les Paul Ultra (With SD JB/Jazz pups)
Bugera 120w 333xl 212 combo
Peavey ValveKing 50w 112 combo (Eminence Texas Heat 12" speaker)
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
MXR M108 10 band EQ.
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah.
pre amp tubes last longer than power tubes. it isnt very expensive in comparison to tone, time, and difficulty of installation
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
i prefer tube amps and i dont accept that lamb of god is metalcore and if they are then metalcore is good.
I don't accept Lamb Of God as being metalcore either, that's just a statement made by dickhead elitists who go "OMGZ!)! TEH LAMBZ OF GOD ARE POPULAR WITH TEH N00BZ0RZT EHY AREN'T BR00TALZ ANY MORE!!!"

I've wanted to reply to that statement in Holy-Diver's sig for a long time.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
tube amps are great i have 3 1. a Peavey 5150 2. a Fender Supersonic and 3. a Vox AC30/6tb , the vox is the only one that i had to work on replace the rectifier tube and the 500ma fuse but thats it, all the rest i have had no problems, the sound quality of tube amps are far superior to solid state amps that and i like amps that only do 1 thing not a bunch of bells and whistles
Quote by pwnagegnome
i want to buy a tube amp and my dad is insisting that tube amps are horrible and are going to be giving me a lot of trouble.

what do you think, i know tube amps are very good.
50watt carvin nomad
edit: im using a line 6 spider3 15 watt

Trouble can be fixed... A blown SS amp usually can not be or its not worth the expense... And SS amps go down far more in retrospect. Just a heads up to your dad.

And I know people that have been running the same tubes for years in there amps. Its all in how the amp is biased and how much its played. Its not like changing the oil in the car and its a guaranteed replace ever 3 months. I know of preamp tubes that have lasted for upwards to 15+ years and power tubes to last 10+ or so.
IbanezPsycho speaks the truth there...

My general commentaries:

Tubes last a lot longer in a head than a combo. Combos vibrate tubes a lot and they fail mechanically before they fail electrically.

Generally (reread that word before jumping on me) tube amps will break more often (mostly tubes breaking) as compared to SS amps. BUT, when a SS amp goes down, it's usually dead for good as SS is a pain to troubleshoot.

In most cases, tubes sound better...there's also something about them from a "feel" point of view when you play, hard to describe really but they just seem more "organic" in feel. Most people like tubes more because of this and sound qualities.

The question is basically this: are you OK with an occasional monetary expenditure for something that sounds and feels better, or do you want something that has zero continuing cost but then doesn't sound ro feel as good?
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by shadow__666
I don't accept Lamb Of God as being metalcore either, that's just a statement made by dickhead elitists who go "OMGZ!)! TEH LAMBZ OF GOD ARE POPULAR WITH TEH N00BZ0RZT EHY AREN'T BR00TALZ ANY MORE!!!"

I've wanted to reply to that statement in Holy-Diver's sig for a long time.

actually they are metalcore. i am not being an elitist. i have this in my sig because of everyone thinking log is the greatest metal.
on that note, since when is being metalcore a bad thing?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I've had 3 Tube amps and never had a problem with any of them.

(Blew a fuse once, but took two seconds and a new fuse to fix)

ch0 nailed it... The trade off is sound, and if you are prepared for the 'maintenance' associated with a tube amp, you will be rewarded with the sound.

Go and compare and you'll see mate.

(btw, your dad does have a good point, but they won't give you 'problems' as such. Just require a little more upkeep)

Good luck,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Last edited by danastasi at Mar 20, 2009,