hey guys i got a question. i'm writing a new piece and for a few measures i'm having trouble. now the notes are all doted in the measure and i put it in 23/16 times

their are five notes in each measure and its a doted quarter note, a doted half note, then three doted eigth notes, now my question is did i use the rigth time signature or is there something simpler for me because i think 23/16 is a little bit bizzare.

thanks.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Hm, a dotted quarter would be 6 16th notes, a dotted half would be 12 16ths, and a dotted 8th would be 3.

6 + 12 + 9 = 27 -> you're not in 23/16, you're in 27/16.

Is there any reason you're using 23/16? It might be easier just to write in 4/4 and change the rhythm around so it fits.
Listening to that, you could do what Laminated pig said and put it in 4/4 and change the note values, but keep them proportionate.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
you see i'm really not that good at it what i'm doing is playing them on my guitar. then i use Guitar Pro and put the corresponding notes in, then i fiddle with the values of the notes till it sounds right then when i have done that i put the time signature in so that it doesn't exceed the measure or fall short. which is why i have it in 23/16 and not 27/16 because that is what GP says is a completed measure.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Hm, if Guitar Pro says it's 23/16, you could just try adding a 16th note/rest onto the end of the measure, then it'd be straight 6/4.

You could upload the file if you're still confused
yeah i used to be really bad at tabbing* and had really crazy time signatures so my riffs would fit in

you just need to change the tempo/pace. use the mix button at the bottom right or the one at the top.

this fixed my crazy time signatures, and i put my stuff in GP the exact same way you do. change the time signatures back to 4/4 and use simple note values (i try not to use dotted or -n- numbers other then like 3). just use simple note values and don't worry if its slower/faster then the way you play it**, just increase or decrease the BPM to compensate.

i think being able to count notes helps alot, but i dont know how to do it. i also try and memorize certain patterns, like galloping rhythms i know are 16th 16th 8th.

*not that im trying to imply that you're bad at anything, just that i was in the same place and thats how i describe how i was.

**of course make sure the ratio of the note duration is still right because the bpm won't fix that.
Last edited by SpeedLives at Mar 20, 2009,
If GP says it's 23/16 then you do not have a dotted 1/4, a dotted 1/2, and 3 dotted 1/8ths. You've got something else going on - take another look.

That would give you 27.

There's nothing wrong with 27 or 23 time, as long as you can play it. A lot of people would fall apart for sure.

When you play the part without the aid of GP, are you tapping your foot or anything to determine a steady time? Does the timing of what you've done in GP correspond exactly?
I'm guessing you're just playing 4/4 or 6/8 and are just tabbing it wrong. It's really hard playing in 23/16... Can't you record it and post it or something?