Is it ethical or not?

I found myself drunk the other night at a big party, and proceeded to smashing the **** out of one of my older guitars. I gotta say it was one of the most liberating moments ever, flailing my instrument through the air and smashing it onto the ground.

I don't regret it.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Sure it is, it's for a good show, if u have problems, smash it and the crowd loves it. Dave Mustaine says on his gigantour 2 dvd that he smashed one because his playback guy put it too loud in his earphones, he said it was the best he could do without throwing the guitar at him, lol. commas.
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
no its not ethical. unless its a First Act from Wal-Mart. i wanna make a youtube video where i walk in and smash EVERYTHING with "First Act" on it.... it would be a "smash" hit hahahaha
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
unless you are sentimentally related to your guitar, then it's wrong.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by MetalMegaMan
Is it ethical or not?

I found myself drunk the other night at a big party, and proceeded to smashing the **** out of one of my older guitars. I gotta say it was one of the most liberating moments ever, flailing my instrument through the air and smashing it onto the ground.

I don't regret it.

Congrats.

I wouldn't do it, I'd rather not destroy something I worked hard/paid money for. Of course, you were drunk, so...
Quote by RU Experienced?
Well, unless you're playing guitar by thrashing your dick around the strings I see no application of guitar technique to sex.

My band, Two Days In February
I've always wanted to throw a guitar through a tv screen, it seems so insanely fun.
If I were to ever start using a new guitar, and I had nothing special to remember about the previous one, I would want to smash it into tiny bits in the most fantastic way possible, to give me something to remember about it.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Quote by GODhimself37
no its not ethical. unless its a First Act from Wal-Mart. i wanna make a youtube video where i walk in and smash EVERYTHING with "First Act" on it.... it would be a "smash" hit hahahaha

it was a guitar similar to that with seymour duncan pickups installed. I salvaged the pickups
Quote by sg_chris
I've always wanted to throw a guitar through a tv screen, it seems so insanely fun.

The symbolism is what I like. Ruining the idiot tube with your instrument.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
If you're just doing it because you're thinking, "Hey, I should smash this" then you deserve to have it taken from you.
If you're doing it in a fit a passion, because the emotion of the song overtook you, then yes, it's fine.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by MetalMegaMan
it was a guitar similar to that with seymour duncan pickups installed. I salvaged the pickups

then smash away .

i was thinking if i ever got big i would smash my Squier.... but i scalloped the higher frets myself AND put EMG's into it... so i might wanna switch out the pickups first, and scallop my peavey... hmm....

Quote by sg_chris

i was extremely tempted to impale my drummers floor tom and send it flying through the air with my guitar, but i don't think he would have been too amused

Quote by wtf290
If you're just doing it because you're thinking, "Hey, I should smash this" then you deserve to have it taken from you.
If you're doing it in a fit a passion, because the emotion of the song overtook you, then yes, it's fine.

that's EXACTLY what happened. I can't explain how exhilarating it was. You should have seen the look on some of the people's faces.
Last edited by MetalMegaMan at Mar 19, 2009,
Lol i dropped my first electric and the body snapped in half....
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
I HATE people who smash guitars. I don't care how good the music is - I'm not interested if they smash guitars.

I can only dream of owning a real Fender Stratocaster, and would murder to own one. Yet, oh look, it's Pete ****ing Townshend smashing them up right in front of my face.

It pisses me right off.
I'd love to beat the crap out of some livestock with a flute.

Now that's rock 'n' roll.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
if i could only throw a fender stratocaster through a tv, i'd do it. But only if it involved the tv.
Quote by EJD
I HATE people who smash guitars. I don't care how good the music is - I'm not interested if they smash guitars.

I can only dream of owning a real Fender Stratocaster, and would murder to own one. Yet, oh look, it's Pete ****ing Townshend smashing them up right in front of my face.

It pisses me right off.

if it makes you feel better i would never smash my strat
Quote by EJD

It pisses me right off.

Yeah but he is the almighty pete townshend
I think its good. I like the sound it makes and the sound + stage show looks awesome and frantic.
Quote by GODhimself37

Destroying a Wal-Mart First Act is very ethical indeed. You can hear them talking to you if you are willing to listen. They say, "Kill me... Please."
Quote by Deliriumbassist
*looks down at his warwick*

You can bugger off

I'd never smash a guitar or bass. It just doesn't seem right. I'd much rather donate one than smash it up.

way to make me feel remorseful

nah, I still don't regret it
I suppose if I knew it was gonna be binned soon anyway I'd do it. But that's the only way. It's such a waste. I don't really like licking over of amps, either.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Trefellin
Destroying a Wal-Mart First Act is very ethical indeed. You can hear them talking to you if you are willing to listen. They say, "Kill me... Please."

They were once beautiful Gibsons before they became infected by the Wal-Mart disease... now they have gone from being played by the likes of:

Slash
Thomas Erak
Les Paul himself

to being played by little 10 year olds who try to learn immediately from guitar hero, or kids that wanna play, but eventually leave them in the closet to rot.

This is the stroy they have told me...

Quote by Rhoads_1096
Yeah but he is the almighty pete townshend

I don't exactly give a ****.
i would never smash my guitars
but if i got my hands on a piece of crap then why the hell not?
It's have to have some symbolism to it, but yes, I certainly would given the right circumstances. For example, I've always wanted to play a particularly crazy bass solo on a pete wentz p bass, then drive my point home, London Calling style.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.