I've only recently started paying attention to scales and theory.

What is the most efficient way to learn scales, and what is the ultimate goal?

I've been told to learn the entire scale, on each string (individually), then bridge them onto the other strings. This is preferred over learning box patterns. The difficult part for me is remembering all the scales in all the different keys, and it's tough for me to derive them on the fly at this point, even if I know the intervals.

What is the ultimate goal?? Is it to simply memorize all the scales, in all keys, or learn how to derive them on the fly? Neither? Some other method?

I just want to go about this the right way. Thanks for reading.
You should try memorizing where all the notes are in your fretboard and then, you should develop your ability to quickly know the notes which are useful for what you're playing, which will usually be the notes in a certain scale.
Quote by Jam3V
The difficult part for me is remembering all the scales in all the different keys, and it's tough for me to derive them on the fly at this point, even if I know the intervals.
I'd say learn how they are constructed, and get used to hearing them. Then you should find it a lot easier to work them out on the fly. I'm a noob at playing, but my teacher thinks I know my scales a lot better than I do, cos if he asks me to play one I can work it out by a combination of ear and intervals (or fret counting lol)

Learn the intervals, and learn your key sigs (Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle sort of stuff...or the circle of fifths)

Quote by Jam3V
What is the ultimate goal?? Is it to simply memorize all the scales, in all keys, or learn how to derive them on the fly? Neither? Some other method?
The ultimate goal is to be able to use those scales to make music! Scales on their own aren't much use - you need to know how and when to use them. Imo scales basically tell you what notes are 'safe' to play over a said backing - normally a chord progression.

EDIT: and yes,definitely learn the notes on your fretboard if you don't already.
+1

you don't play scales, you understand them and ultimately make stuff with them. Where they appear on the fretboard is simply a means to an end. Being able to play the notes of a scale is pretty useless on it's own, you need to understand when, how and why you can use that scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks for the replies! I may have been a little unclear with my question.

I wasn't asking what scales are used for. I understand the theory behind scales. I was asking what the best way to learn them is. I know some people memorize the patterns of the different positions, and others will learn the entire scale across every string, then derive the 'box patterns' on their own.

One thing I lack definitely is knowing where all the notes are. I'm getting there, though... Using FretBoard Warrior should help to meet that end. Maybe once I've done this it'll become easier / more intuitive.
Last edited by Jam3V at Mar 20, 2009,