I just bought a used SCXD off eBay and it came in stellar cosmetic condition... until this.

Here's the SOS message I sent to the eBay seller:
Hey I got the amp, it was packaged well, but there is a problem with it. I played it yesterday for about 4 hours and didn't notice it, but I played it today and noticed this annoying sound. It is especially noticeable on the overdriven voicings. When I play certain notes in this case C# D D# E it makes a weird whirring, humming, hissing, or whispering that seems in the background or overlapping the notes. I have tried changing the EQ and the effects but it does nothing to change it. Did you have this sound when you owned the amp and/or do you have any idea what this may be caused by?
This was the message I sent to the eBay seller who does have a 100% feedback rating. He is definitely a trustworthy seller, but I can't seem to place my finger on the cause of this weird almost mechanical hiss or whisper. It is not the typical hiss of an amp which the SCXD has too (not as bad as my SS amp).
Please help... I'm desperate.

Other than that there is something else about it that I don't like so far:
How come many of the overdriven/distorted sounds sound very muffled to my ear? Is it the pickups in my guitar or is it the amp. I've heard youtube videos on the same voice setting which sound very sweet and overdriven but for me its quite muffled.
Compared to the sound from this video: Don Anderson Samba Pa Ti
Dude, you bought the thing on eBay. If it didn't have any technical problems with it it'd be a miracle. Even if the seller has 100% positive feedback, there's still a big chance it got badly handled during shipping or something like that. Take it to a repair shop.
It is a risk you take when shipping amps. First thing I would do is check the preamp tube and make sure it is seated well and you can always get another one and swap it in there. They are like 8 bucks at GC. Otherwise, my fear would be that there is a problem with the solid state circuitry which would be hard to diagnose and fix. If it is a bad knob pot, that might be able to be fixed.

Also check over on the fender.com forums on this amp. It's a great amp so I hope you get it resolved.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
It is a risk you take when shipping amps. First thing I would do is check the preamp tube and make sure it is seated well and you can always get another one and swap it in there. They are like 8 bucks at GC. Otherwise, my fear would be that there is a problem with the solid state circuitry which would be hard to diagnose and fix. If it is a bad knob pot, that might be able to be fixed.

Also check over on the fender.com forums on this amp. It's a great amp so I hope you get it resolved.

+1

First thing to consider is if the tubes got jarred during shipping and reseat them again if you think this is an atypical noise.

As far as the tone on some of the voices goes it does sound a bit blanketed (on 3 for example), but that really opens up and goes away some when you plug the speaker out into a cab with bigger speakers. When I got a cab for mine it turned into a really really great amp that was just pretty good through the stock speaker.

According to others reports this amp can make some strange noises through the stock speaker and tubes and sometimes just replacing either or may take care of it. I would suggest plugging into an 8 ohm cab and seeing for yourself if any of your problems go way or get better. Maybe, you have access to one.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Mar 24, 2009,
also, if you have a different guitar and cable you might want to plug it in and try it.

because if he messages back, he'll first ask you if you know for certain that it's even the amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Sounds like a tube. Could need reseating or maybe replacement. One other thing, it could be a loose speaker, the SC XC are known to need tightening of the speaker ring, they can work themselves loose. Although that sounds more like a blown speaker or rattle.