I'm in a musical rut. I don't know where to go to next. I haven't learned anything in the past few months. Once I'm done warming up, I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions on what to learn. I'm open to anything.
Learn new songs.
Learn theory.
Tab a song that hasn't been tabbed, by ear.
^ If unable to do so, train your ear to be able to play what you hear.
Apply theory and your ear to make your own songs.
Practice technique (I have such issues with doing pinch harmonics quickly... I can't play a lot of my favorite songs (Dead Memories-Slipknot) because of it....)
All of the above.

Hope I helped?

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Invokke_Havokk

what he said
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
what he said. focus on theory and learning a song you couldnt play b4 as your number one thing though
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
just do something new or weird to you
tune to a different or odd tuning, mess with your amp settings and do something weird with it, just change it up somehow, and make it feel fresh
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by guitarsftw
just do something new or weird to you
tune to a different or odd tuning, mess with your amp settings and do something weird with it, just change it up somehow, and make it feel fresh

That won't get him out of his musical rut, that will make his warmups sound different. Hence why I didn't suggest it.

My tutor is already starting theory with me, but I'm at an early stages(memorizing melodic intervals, etc...) and not much of the work he gives me is playing the guitar like having to write the forms of different chords(7ths, Triads, Diminshed and Augmented). He does this to start a good foundation for when we get into deeper theory. I'm really tired of learning songs by ear cause I've been doing that basically since I got my first guitar. I do that when I can't sleep in the middle of the night. I'm looking for more of a program or exercises that will improve speed, improv, fingerstyle, ear training, etc... Is there something like that out there?
Quote by epiphonesg94
My tutor is already starting theory with me, but I'm at an early stages(memorizing melodic intervals, etc...) and not much of the work he gives me is playing the guitar like having to write the forms of different chords(7ths, Triads, Diminshed and Augmented). He does this to start a good foundation for when we get into deeper theory. I'm really tired of learning songs by ear cause I've been doing that basically since I got my first guitar. I do that when I can't sleep in the middle of the night. I'm looking for more of a program or exercises that will improve speed, improv, fingerstyle, ear training, etc... Is there something like that out there?

When you write and form those chords, play them.

Construct a major scale and derive all the chords in that key, then mess around with chord progressions.

Learn a new song, and as you play it state the note being played, and if you want determine the key then from the root note say the interval being played.

Apply your theory practice to playing and practicing, makes it funner, less of a chore, and you're learning and making new things WHILE sticking to your theory practice, in a funner way.

Ok. Wasn't clear enough(my bad). I want some good things to practice OUTSIDE of my tutor work. And I know most everything is based on theory, but I just want to get better. For the past 5 months I feel like I've been sitting still and not moving forward at all. (btw,I love playing blues, alternative/indie rock, and new wave/grunge.) I L-O-V-E improvising, but I'm tired of being tied to one scale of the key of C. And I know, theory is my key..... but I don't know. I'm confused.
Transcribe a neat rap song!

lol, that's something I'm planning to do...
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by SilverDark
Transcribe a neat rap song!

lol, that's something I'm planning to do...

Yeah, and make a "Punk Goes Crunk 2!" album. God no.
Quote by epiphonesg94
Ok. Wasn't clear enough(my bad). I want some good things to practice OUTSIDE of my tutor work. And I know most everything is based on theory, but I just want to get better. For the past 5 months I feel like I've been sitting still and not moving forward at all. (btw,I love playing blues, alternative/indie rock, and new wave/grunge.) I L-O-V-E improvising, but I'm tired of being tied to one scale of the key of C. And I know, theory is my key..... but I don't know. I'm confused.

You can get better, while improving on theory at the same time....

For example:

Rise Against - (Pretty much any song) - Practice at slow speed. - Say note names/chord names as you play them - slowly raise speed until its at the speed its played at. - Learn the chords played (aka: Rythm Guitar) and the lead guitar parts.

I try to learn new things, while improving on that I already know. For me it's the most efficient way of keeping "old data" and learning "new data" because I'm just taking what I know, and throwing new stuff in.

Quote by epiphonesg94
Yeah, and make a "Punk Goes Crunk 2!" album. God no.

God, its just transcribing the vocal line and the drum beats. Not ALL rap is crap...

If you want, get into some Jazz. Lots of melodies waiting to be played by ear and/or read and great conduit to get into improvisation. Well, Blues anyways.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Only thing i have against jazz guitar is the over use of 7th chords. Now, playing jazz on my saxophone, God I love it. Blues is always fun to play on guitar.
Quote by epiphonesg94
Only thing i have against jazz guitar is the over use of 7th chords. Now, playing jazz on my saxophone, God I love it. Blues is always fun to play on guitar.

Pshh, learn some 13th chords and some 9th chords then! Jerk around with them to make sus chords and really neat harmony under a melody. You can transpose some of your sax melodies into guitar, no? That'll give you some theory practice as well as learning some cool melodies and licks on your guitar.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Quote by epiphonesg94
I'd love to do that, but would that sound ok? Saxophone is an Eb instrument and guitar is C.

And the method of making those songs on sax into guitar is called transposition. If songs on sax are played in Eb, transpose them a minor third to Concert Key, which is C. This is where writing sheet music comes very handy.
Quote by DiminishedFifth