I don't normally use pedals because I like the natural tone of my guitar and amp, but I've decided to break down and buy a couple. The gain on my amp's drive channel is lacking and I'm looking for an overdrive/distortion pedal that can give me smooth, moderate to high gain Marshall-esque distortion.

I've been leaning towards the Fulltone OCD, but I wanted to see if you guys would recommend something else. Chances are I'll ebay or order online so my testing capabilities will be limited.

I play a strat through an Epiphone Blues Custom tube amp. I usually play classic rock, 90's rock, and blues; But I like enough gain to take my leads close to a metal sound.

*true bypass pedals only.
MI Audio Crunch Box? It's a distortion, but don't be fooled; it's gold.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Rock Glenn
I don't normally use pedals because I like the natural tone of my guitar and amp, but I've decided to break down and buy a couple. The gain on my amp's drive channel is lacking and I'm looking for an overdrive/distortion pedal that can give me smooth, moderate to high gain Marshall-esque distortion.

I've been leaning towards the Fulltone OCD, but I wanted to see if you guys would recommend something else. Chances are I'll ebay or order online so my testing capabilities will be limited.

I play a strat through an Epiphone Blues Custom tube amp. I usually play classic rock, 90's rock, and blues; But I like enough gain to take my leads close to a metal sound.

Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive (CM2)!!!!!!!!!! and yes its true bypass!
It also has a "Classic" and "Modified" toggle switch which basically sounds like a TS and a Modded TS!

I STRONGLY Reccomend it!
Crunch box is impressive. That might be just what I'm looking for. Some reviews say it's nothing for low gain, but my amp can handle that as it is. Thanks for the advice.
Quote by Rock Glenn

I Would try the Keeley mod of the Ibanez ts-9 Baked Mod its transparent enough to hear your tru amp and guitar but about 100% more grit than a regular tube screamer has
Do any of you own the Crunchbox? I'm just wondering if it has a solid true-bypass. I play clean about as much as I play with distortion in a set and I don't want to lose ANY tone. I've played 'true bypass' pedals that still manage to cut out some of the higher frequencies.
It is true bypass. I owned one and can vouch for this.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
It's only real weakness is that the knobs are very sensitive, so don't knock them.
Quote by Cathbard
I wish I hadn't gotten rid of mine. It was a bit too Marshally for me at the time, but now I reckon I'd have plenty of use for it.

My HM-2 probably does as good a job though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Skierinanutshel
*raises hand*

yes, true bypass. i'm not sure what "solid" true bypass is, but it is true bypass.

it has never made as much of a whisper in the bypassed tone.

addendum: foiled again by the shadow!

I guess solid is slang for good that managed to slip in there. I apologize for any confusion.

I liked the sound from the youtube video I watched and I think this hits the Marshall tone better than the OCD.
If you go for one, see if you can order one directly from Mike Ibrahim. With the strength of your dollar against the Australian dollar right now, you might be able to get a better price for one than you could from Pro Guitar Shop or somewhere.

Wait, why am I helping the Seppos get better deals when they rape us on our prices? Oh f*ck it...I'm just a nice person.
Quote by Cathbard
because the OCD, as many OD's are, is a somewhat transparent pedal. It does what it does very well though.

The crunch box is supposed to give you that heavy-british sound, thus why it nails the tone better than an OCD. now, that doesnt mean you'll get this generic-sound, your guitar and amp both color the tone as you would normally expect.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
because the OCD, as many OD's are, is a somewhat transparent pedal. It does what it does very well though.

The crunch box is supposed to give you that heavy-british sound, thus why it nails the tone better than an OCD. now, that doesnt mean you'll get this generic-sound, your guitar and amp both color the tone as you would normally expect.

Yeah I'm not that concerned with getting an actual Marshall sound. That just best describes the sound that my amp can't hit, that I want it to hit.

And Shadow_666 thanks for the advice. I'll check and see what Australia has for prices.