I'm due to get an Orange Crush 30R this Saturday, and I'm not sure if the overdrive (would be getting a footswitch if I like it) is what I'm looking for in the music I play.
The overdrive/distortion sound I'm looking for is from the emo, progressive, "hardcore" genres.
(The Fall of Troy, Chiodos, Dance Gavin Dance, LoveHateHero, ect..)
If I'm not happy with the built in dirty, what pedals should I look for?
A couple video searches got me looking at the Boss DS 1 and 2, big muff pi, and the jekyll and hyde.

Any help?
tube screamers usually go the best with amps, weak on their own but can give tour amp's od a big push
check out Maxon 808, Fulltone OCD and Ibanez TS
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
EHX Metal Muff, used Boss HM-2, maybe a Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion.

DS-1 is OK if you get the Keeley mod done to it also. Don't know much about the Jekyll and Hyde, but while the Big Muff is a great pedal it's not for that style at all.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Thomas Erak from Fall of Troy uses a Boss DS-2, an EHX Big Muff, and an Ibanez TS-9 DX if that helps you out any.
you are going to want to get a distortion. as the crush is solid state, an overdrive will sound wonky on that amp.

the DS-2 is good, the muff may be too "loose" for what you want. although it would be enough gain-wise. what is your running budget at this point?
Don't get an overdrive for a solid state amp. Overdrives are made to drive tube amps, and it won't sound very good through the Crush. I suggest looking only at distortions.

(btw, I know an OD won't break his amp and will still work, but it sounds bad. No one tell me how I'm wrong and that an OD will work. It WILL work, but won't sound as good.)

I wouldn't know what to use since I don't play that genre. But I know a DS anything or a Big Muff won't work.

Quote by Skierinanutshel
you are going to want to get a distortion. as the crush is solid state, an overdrive will sound wonky on that amp.

the DS-2 is good, the muff may be too "loose" for what you want. although it would be enough gain-wise. what is your running budget at this point?

Alright.
$100 or less.
with that budget, the DS-2 sounds good. i've heard nothing other than positives about the newer digitech hardwire series, but i havent tried them myself.

do you have the ability to try out these pedals before buying them? you should strive to do this whenever anyways.
Skier, I'm here and already rec'd the HM-2, but I don't really know if it's right for the TS. It's really more of a classic metal distortion that, when pushed, turns into the ultimate wall-of-sound distortion. It's not really good for that modern metalcore stuff.

I suggested it though because with a few mods, it can.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I bought it mostly for My Bloody Valentine tones. It's not for modern metal (I mean, it was discontinued what? 15 years ago?) though, unless you run a boost with it.
Quote by Cathbard
I'm just wondering when everyone here on UG will realize that overdrives can work every bit as well on a solid state amp. At unity gain an overdrive doesn't "drive" anything, it clips the signal in a way that emulates the clipping in the preamp section of a tube amp. Also note that you can use a distortion to "drive" something in exactly the same way that everyone here is convinced that overdrives work. In order to "drive" something in that sense, all you need to do is boost the signal.

It really comes down to the amp. A good OD through a great SS amp will sound better than a good OD through a crappy tube amp.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by justinb904
tube screamers usually go the best with amps, weak on their own but can give tour amp's od a big push
check out Maxon 808, Fulltone OCD and Ibanez TS

Quote by egen18118041
buy a metal zone pedal it will solve all of your problems for an $80 price tag

Don't listen to these guys.

Look at a Metal Muff, should do what you want well.
Last edited by JilaX^ at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Thomas Erak from Fall of Troy uses a Boss DS-2, an EHX Big Muff, and an Ibanez TS-9 DX if that helps you out any.

he also has an expensive orange tube amp (rocker 30 maybe?), not a cheap crush.
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Mar 21, 2009,
try the line 6 uber metal.
it's really underrated, but it does that style REALLY well
(i also listen to chiodos and fall of troy and they're on the heavier side, especiall TFOT)
with a SS, you're not looking for an overdrive, but more of a distortion that will basically cover the sound of your amp.
the uber metal has a LOT of tonal ranges, and can play some hardcore metal too, along with emo/punk music.
DEFINITELY try it, and good luck with it!
Gibson Les Paul Studio (Alpine White w/ Gold Hardware)
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal