Anyone know of an acoustic electric that has great volume unamplified. I've got a sweet Martin but it's small so it's quiet without an amp. What's a good acoustic/electric guitar with semi-low action and great volume and tone? I play acoustic blues and country, southern rock etc.
I didn't think we would ever make enough money to pay rent by playing music.
-Gregg Allman

*Insert sarcastic, ego-boosting quote here*
Tekamine or Washburn IMHO. I don't believe in acoustics with internal electronics but my friend uses a Tekamine A/E and it sounds as good as my straight acoustic Washburn unplugged.
What is your budget? Oh and Taylor.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
I got the Epiphone EJ 200CE and its seriously the nicest sounding acoustic electric or in general acoustic ive played.
Quote by Led man32
What is your budget? Oh and Taylor.

nonexistant right now. I need a job. Just toying with the idea right now. My guitar is too sharp and not loud enough. I need the electronics for gigs.

Quote by deadheadwookie2
I got the Epiphone EJ 200CE and its seriously the nicest sounding acoustic electric or in general acoustic ive played.

You're kind of confirming what i already thought. I've heard those were great guitars. How loose are the strings? Can you make some nice bends without destroying your fingers?
I didn't think we would ever make enough money to pay rent by playing music.
-Gregg Allman

*Insert sarcastic, ego-boosting quote here*
Quote by Surfside
nonexistant right now. I need a job. Just toying with the idea right now. My guitar is too sharp and not loud enough. I need the electronics for gigs.

You're kind of confirming what i already thought. I've heard those were great guitars. How loose are the strings? Can you make some nice bends without destroying your fingers?

String tension has nothing to do with the guitar.

Strings are at exactly the same tension on almost all guitars.

As for the person recommending 'Tekamine,' firstly, it's Takamine, and secondly, don't just list brand names. That is useless advice

Edit: But the information below is good.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Mar 19, 2009,
^ well, it depends on the scale length of the guitar -- the shorter the scale length, the less tension on the strings. The less tension, the "sweeter" the sound and the easier it is to get the big bends. Most guitars that I see have a 25.5 inch scale -- that Epiphone included, I think. What kind of Martin do you have??
Quote by milagroso
^ well, it depends on the scale length of the guitar -- the shorter the scale length, the less tension on the strings. The less tension, the "sweeter" the sound and the easier it is to get the big bends. Most guitars that I see have a 25.5 inch scale -- that Epiphone included, I think. What kind of Martin do you have??

That's true of electrics but in the acoustic world you aren't going to find very much variation at all.

Good point though.

And was that Martin comment aimed at me? If so, I don't have a Martin
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
That's true of electrics but in the acoustic world you aren't going to find very much variation at all.

Good point though.

And was that Martin comment aimed at me? If so, I don't have a Martin

Sorry -- the Martin question was for the TS, I should've specified. As for the lack of variation, you're right -- especially when you're talking about guitars that most of us can afford. Anyway, I was thinking that since the TS said he had a small Martin, that he may have a shorter scale guitar and the playability of that Epiphone would be a lot different.
Last edited by milagroso at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by milagroso
Sorry -- the Martin question was for the TS, I should've specified. As for the lack of variation, you're right -- especially when you're talking about guitars that most of us can afford.

You were right to bring up scale length though - thanks for reminding me. I only ever play acoustics and sometimes forget that electric guitars exist