engage
Quote by Julz127
I don't actually use toilet paper, I use sweet chili sauce and sandpaper, cause I'm a man.
Quote by Timothy O.
I was looking at a tab and saw something about a killswitch in the solo. What exactly is it and how would you go about getting one (or if its just a technique how do you do it?)

I could be wrong but I think its a switch on the guitar (the Gibson Dark Fire might have one) that kills the sound. Used in parts where the music cuts out suddenly.
a killswitch is basically just a switch that you flip and it turns your pickup off until you flip it back up. tom morello uses it alot in many of his effects. you can do it without installing a killswitch with any guitar that has 2 pickups and a volume knob for each pickup. what you do is turn the volume of 1 pickup all the way up and the other pickup to 0 then just flip your pickup selector switch up and down and there you go sounds cool with alot of feedback
Quote by metalmlitiachaz
a killswitch cuts out the sound. switchin it on and off fast will give a cool effect.

and it can be a button or a switch. check out Buckethead's guitar, its the red button by the knobs
You can do this easy if you have a guitar with a 3 way switch and independent volumes, set on pu to 0 and the other up. And just toggle through them fast on the 3 way, or you can wire your guitar up with a killswitch, searchthe forums and you will see how to do it.
A killswitch is a technique that you can only do with gibson guitars or guitars with the right pick ups. You need individual volume knobs for all the pick ups on your guitar. You switch one of the pick ups off, then strike a note, then switch the toggle back and forth. I don't think u can do it with a PRS or a fender.
tom morellos "arm the homeless" guitar is a modified strat so yea you can do it with fenders
Holy Diver!!!!!
If everything could ever feel this real forever,
If anything could ever be this good again,
The only thing I'll ever ask of you,
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when.
Quote by ferreira25
A killswitch is a technique that you can only do with gibson guitars or guitars with the right pick ups. You need individual volume knobs for all the pick ups on your guitar. You switch one of the pick ups off, then strike a note, then switch the toggle back and forth. I don't think u can do it with a PRS or a fender.

Thanks for giving TS a blatantly wrong answer after 10 other people have given the right one. Way to fail, ferreira25.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
disconect one of the pickup wires >< then switch it to that pickup
Quote by ferreira25

Alternatively: You can do it with any guitar, but some may require some knowledge of amateur electronics.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Why not just put a switch on the output wire? Seems to make sence to me, just install another button or switch next to the pickup selctor and hit it real quicke or something.

Stick 40
I've seen people make killswitches on their guitars via the actual cable, where the button somehow cuts the signal going to the cable when the button is pressed. I would love to have a killswitch made for my guitar :O.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by CliffIsAngry
I've seen people make killswitches on their guitars via the actual cable, where the button somehow cuts the signal going to the cable when the button is pressed. I would love to have a killswitch made for my guitar :O.

planet waves makes a cable with a button that does this, never tried it as a killswitch though.

EDIT:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-Circuit-Breaker-14-Straight-Instrument-Cable?sku=335277
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by eyebanez333
planet waves makes a cable with a button that does this

Link to it on musiciansfriend or such?
Gear:
.Fender Classic Series '70s Stratocaster
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
.Washburn WI-24 (first guitar )