I want a decent tube amp and I'm on a budget, so I was thinking the Valveking or the 333XL. Which one has better cleans? I run my effects through the clean channel or the effects loop (just depends on the situation), so i need a decent clean sound.

I know the VK needs to have a graphic EQ thrown in.

I know Bugeras have had some reliability issues in the first runs.

So which one?

EDIT: There's also the Peavey Windsor, Bugera 333 (not the XL), and the soon to be Bugera 1990 (JCM 800 copy)

This is for grunge to metal/metalcore
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Last edited by CullenT at Mar 19, 2009,
I like my Bugera 333XL's cleans more than the VK's...they're a little warmer and thicker.

both the amps I played were combos (2x12), so IDK how the heads will do.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Mar 19, 2009,
depends on your style, the bugera, in my experience of amp-room-jamming, has jazzier, warmer cleans, while the VK has more sparkle
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I've got the VK212, and what I have read and experienced finds little fault with the clean channel. Guys who want a heavier tone are doing mods to get the distortion tone they want, with tube and speaker swaps, with the effects loop equalizer, and with pedals. and like all questions, there will be a few who vehemently disagree with this statement.

I got my Peavey used, shipped to my door, with the accesory footpedal included, from a Guitar Center for 400 bucks. Hard to beat.

Good luck.
Play what ya like, like what ya play
Besides QC issues, the Bugera does get some great tones out of it. I'd suggest it as the warranty on it is pretty good. Maybe get an EQ and an OD as well and you should be good to go.
I can get a sweet metal tone out of my VK100. I just threw on the patch cable mod today and it worked wonders. I love it.

Haven't played any Bugeras though. Guess that makes my opinion void =/

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

I played a VK a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed by the tones I was able to get for such a great price. I was able to get a sweet bluesy tone as well as a great metaly crunch as well. I was using a Gibson BFG so maybe that had something to do with it sounding so great but I still think it would sound great using any half decent guitar.

Sorry haven't played Bugera
i have the bugera 333xl and the peavey valveking 212 combo.... id take my bugera any day. i cant wait to get rid of my valveking. the bugera sounds so much nicer, both clean and distorstion, then again its comparing to the 212. i say bugera.
I have both in head version (Bugera 333xl). Tested with Eminence Governor 2x12 cab. Althought the Valveking is a good amp, for my taste and ears... Bugera is the best!!!!
I say ValveKing. The head is without the worst feature of the combo (the crap stock speaker).

One thing I've noticed with the Valveking is that, while it has very nice cleans and is capable of quite high gain (if, ultimately, not as br00tal as the Bugera) it actually sounds best at about mid gain, trying to do a Marshall crunch impression, only it's American voicing giving it a somewhat distinctive and very nice tone.

I'd love to hear a VK with EL34s and see what that sounds like. It might mean it loses a bit of its (very good) clean channel, but it might bring out the best in the amp also.

/end rant.

TS, go for the VK.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I'd go with the bugera. If you do your research about the Bugera you will know how to fix the problems. Most of the problems have to do with the plastic clip melting or loose connections...both are easily fixed by an amp tech from the get go if you just want to avoid the problems all together.
The bugera is much better tone wise. Although mine hasn't worked in months I'm sure they aren't all like that.
Quote by eyebanez333
I'd go with the bugera. If you do your research about the Bugera you will know how to fix the problems. Most of the problems have to do with the plastic clip melting or loose connections...both are easily fixed by an amp tech from the get go if you just want to avoid the problems all together.

i'd rather take my new amp home and play it............rather than fixing all the factory's mistakes.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=135595
Last edited by mmjohn at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by mmjohn
i'd rather take my new amp home and play it............rather than fixing all the factory's mistakes.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=135595

Its a simple fix...and most people that have any soldering experience can fix it themselves. I didn't say you needed to fix it immediately either, you can wait until it fails (if it ever does)...most of the bugera problems are the clip burning up. For the price of these amps, you can't really get a better tone unless you go used.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by eyebanez333
Its a simple fix...and most people that have any soldering experience can fix it themselves. I didn't say you needed to fix it immediately either, you can wait until it fails (if it ever does)...most of the bugera problems are the clip burning up. For the price of these amps, you can't really get a better tone unless you go used.

I soldered mine and it still didn't work. But it's still the same thing messed up on it. The molex connector burnt. I heard you could solder it to the board and it'll work. I did so and it did not work. But maybe someone else can fix it.
Quote by eyebanez333

i'd rather play than fix when i buy NEW!!!!!!!!
Quote by mmjohn
i'd rather play than fix when i buy NEW!!!!!!!!

OK, great. Good for you. Some people don't have any problems with their amps. But in TS's case...the Bugera is going to sound better than the VK hands down.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Mar 27, 2009,
I know you'd rather take it home and plug in and play, but like some other guy said, for the VK to sound good you'd have to switch out the tubes, get an EQ, get an OD pedal, etc. Which IMHO you don't have to do right away with the Bugera. Either way both amps would have a slight cost to getting them to their peak performance.
Quote by shadow__666
I say ValveKing. The head is without the worst feature of the combo (the crap stock speaker).

One thing I've noticed with the Valveking is that, while it has very nice cleans and is capable of quite high gain (if, ultimately, not as br00tal as the Bugera) it actually sounds best at about mid gain, trying to do a Marshall crunch impression, only it's American voicing giving it a somewhat distinctive and very nice tone.

I'd love to hear a VK with EL34s and see what that sounds like. It might mean it loses a bit of its (very good) clean channel, but it might bring out the best in the amp also.

/end rant.

TS, go for the VK.

I plan on trying to mod my VK with EL34s over the summer, just as a fun experiment.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.