About a month ago my G string started sounding more like 'plonk' than 'riiiinng' . I changed strings, it didn't help. It's sorta OK open, but as I fret it further up the neck it sounds worse and worse. A lot like those $4.99 guitars people buy their 4 year olds at Toys-R-Us.

I'm pretty sure my tuning is OK. I tried tuning the string to the next G up, but stopped when the G string was higher pitched than my B string.

Any advice on what might be wrong, and how I can fix it? I've only been playing a few months now, so down-tune your answers appropriately
check the bridge, nut, and tuner around the g, there might be something obstructing its natural vibration
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by guitarsftw
check the bridge, nut, and tuner around the g, there might be something obstructing its natural vibration

What guitar is it? It's most probably just the setup

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

the neck is probably warped

btw, most guitars cant take going up very much more than standard tuning at all, not yet a whole octave jump. watch out for that, its a good way to break a string, im surprised yours didnt snap
Last edited by reelbigfish2020 at Mar 19, 2009,
Bridge, nut, and tuner look OK to me. I took a good look while the string was off and didn't see anything. I was also pretty careful tightening the string, I didn't want to mess things up more than they are.

It's an El Cheapo guitar, all I could afford. But it's getting me through my prolonged unemployment, so I'm getting my money's worth. But if anyone here feels like donating a decent guitar to the cause I'll take it

The neck's never been to a concert, so I don't see how it could be Warped. (that's a joke son. get it? never mind).

Neck looks straight to me, how do I see if it's warped, and what do I do about it?
Last edited by Snotnose at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by Snotnose
Neck looks straight to me, how do I see if it's warped, and what do I do about it?

Your neck being warped is the last thing you should try to diagnose.

The person who suggested it only has half a cell for a brain. He shares a whole one with a pissed off amoeba.

There's no way you can diagnose your neck being warped just because one string is a bit dull. There was a thread on this earlier today. Make an effort and search for it. It's still on the first page for gods sake.
hey man. i would definetely get it looked at by a professional. it may just be a fret that isnt set into the fret board well enough. take it to ur local music store and they'll probably look at it for free or for a minimal charge.

they may also may see something with the nut or bridge that ur not seeing.
Last edited by malachi12286 at Mar 19, 2009,