I've read a few posts that mentioned reamping, and I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept. I have a Blackheart Little Giant head, and a Weber Mini Mass attenuator on the way. As I understand it, to reamp I would take the line output from the attenuator and run it to the input of another power amp, and adjust that amp to the volume I want. Is that right, or am I way off?

If that is correct, then the obvious question is - why? Why do that instead of just using the attenuator normally? Does it "color" the sound less to do it that way?

What are the requirements for the second amp? It doesn't seem like you would need anything special, just something that can do really clean tones at low volumes, right?
Kevin Saale just did this with a Crate PowerBlock and a Blues Jr. Ping him. But you've got the concept I think. I couldn't find his thread on it but I did find this

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055989
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 19, 2009,
I've seen it done by using an amp Direct Output that some amps have....and then you can also do it by setting the attenuator as a dummy load and connecting the line out to a power amp...

the first option i understand why it would work...the second one, im as curious as you are as why it works....acording to kevin sale it works wonders and i trust his word but i just dont get why...wouldnt the attenuator color your tone anyway?
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
oh that reamping.

i thought you meant re-amping in the recording sense, where you record a dry signal from an amp head and then use VST plugins to deal with cabinet simluations and other FX, should the mic sound be unoptimal or for the purpose of sound blending. (mic'd cabinet sound + simulated sound)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Basically reamping allows you to use the full power and tone out of the power section of your head. Essentually, your head becomes a glorified preamp.

You use the speaker outs into something like a Palmer PDI-03 (dummy load), and this brings the speaker signal down to a line level. From here you run your signal into your rack or FX instead using your FX loop and you get all the glorious power section harmonics driving your FX.

From your FX chain, you run the signal directly to a mixer, recording consol or "reamp" the signal into something like an H&H power amp to your guitar cab.

Your tone will be absolutely SPLENDIFIC!
I don't know how it works from an engineers point of view, all I know is that attenuators suck a lot of tone at bedroom volumes, my reamping rig doesn't. You can listen to the clips in my profile (all the newer ones are reamped). All the reamped recordings are at approximately standard tv volumes.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not