Simply put, I'm considering purchasing a guitar with a Floyd despite being a lazy bastard. A few simple questions though.

1. How easy is it to muck up intonation and setup, especially if I change string gauges(I'm a cheap and poor old fellow, so I often find myself improvising with strings instead of buying new sets, taking the .11 from a set of .09's I've used the top string on already, using .10 strings on guitars set for .09 and vice versa, so on so forth)?

2. Question for owners; How long did it take you to restring the first few times and was it frustrating? I'm a terribly easily annoyed little bastard, so this does matter.

3. Is there anything I should know?

4. Is it worth it?

Any and all answers are much appreciated as always UG.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
ive never had a floyd but from what ive heard
its fair hard and frustrating to restring and if you change string gauges you might have to re configure it
wouldnt it be easier to just buy new strings of the same gauge
and it would be worth it if you do a lot of divebombs and sutff on the whammy bar

Edit from what ive heard its like a girlfriend
some times you love her to bits
some times you want to throw it underneath a moving train
Last edited by satcre3 at Mar 20, 2009,
Floyds are for geeks that enjoy meticulously tinkering with their gear, like me.
Will the Floyd be setup to float or flush mounted?
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Will the Floyd be setup to float or flush mounted?

I've never felt a need for backwards divebombing, so probably flush mounted, though the guitar may be routed so that's not possible.

Quote by necrosis1193
I've never felt a need for backwards divebombing, so probably flush mounted, though the guitar may be routed so that's not possible.

it's called a pull-up

Quote by necrosis1193
Simply put, I'm considering purchasing a guitar with a Floyd despite being a lazy bastard. A few simple questions though.

1. How easy is it to muck up intonation and setup, especially if I change string gauges(I'm a cheap and poor old fellow, so I often find myself improvising with strings instead of buying new sets, taking the .11 from a set of .09's I've used the top string on already, using .10 strings on guitars set for .09 and vice versa, so on so forth)?

2. Question for owners; How long did it take you to restring the first few times and was it frustrating? I'm a terribly easily annoyed little bastard, so this does matter.

3. Is there anything I should know?

4. Is it worth it?

Any and all answers are much appreciated as always UG.

1) Fairly easy if you take off the saddle screw that holds it down. Try not to do this.

2) It was very easy with my dive-only trem. Just a bit of a bugger to have to lock/unlock everything. Probably didn't help that i didn't have a tuner crank either. On my ibanez, it was actually pretty easy. I had to set the whole thing up which took a couple hours but i think just changing the strings wouldn't have taken that long.

3) DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN ANYTHING! Thumb pressure is enough.

4) If you use it enough, yes.
If you flush mount it, you'll have no problem putting higher gauges on there, just tighten it a little bit.
As for restringing, it shouldn't be too hard, and should take about half an hour, maybe more. Thats not including stretching the strings.
If you don't care about pull ups then buy a guitar thats not routed for a floating Floyd. Yes you can always block it in the future if it is setup, and the body is routed, to float but why? You'll get better sustain and tone out of a guitar with a Floyd thats flush mounted and its ass has contact with the guitars body. How much you willing to spend?
Preferably under $700, but if my summer job works out, budget is about $2,200.

Quote by DSOTM80
http://www.garykramerguitar.com/CrusaderDeluxe.html

...and no that $500 price tag with an OFR (although the Asian made variety) is not a typo. Its made overseas in Korea I believe. Thats what I'd look into if I was you.

Holy shit. Plus if I end up hating the Floyd, since it used to be $1,000 I may be able to sell it to someone for at least what I payed. DSOTM(What does that stand for by the way?), I love you for liking this, especially if I manage to get it.

DSOTM80....Dark Side of the Moon (should be self explanatory)

Check out the Gary Kramer Custom Shop models, I got a guitar build close to being finished but if I was to ever buy a brand new guitar off a manufacturer his Cathedral model would be the one

The OFR isn't sh*t, its an actual OFR by Schaller except made in Asia. The $1000 Charvels have the exact same OFR. He's selling direct off his site thats why its so cheap, he's kinda screwing over his dealers in the process. If you check out some of his dealer links you'll see the real retail prices.
*Clicks to the Cathedral's page* Damn, that thing is beautiful, and if that's the same Gary Kramer that originally started Kramer, I trust it's as good as it looks...makes me wish I had the cash. ><

Click on his History link up top, its a good read.

Here's a better shot of the Cathedral, sorry about the large images they're not mine.

...These guitars are beginning to make me think it was a good thing he left Kramer.

He left the original Kramer long before they made it big in the 80's, while they were still making aluminum neck instruments. He only started Gary Kramer Guitars a few years ago, in '05 or '06 I believe. Went to the Kramer Convention and the bug hit him, listening to the fans and here's the result. Kinda wish other guitar manufacturers would do that huh. For me his guitars are what Kramer Guitars were all about back in the 80's.
Well, with any luck, I like the Floyd-equipped guitars I plan to try tomorrow, and I get that thing. It's a steal at $500. Again, much appreciation for the link. ^_^

No problem man, post some pictures when you get it.