I bought my first tube amp, a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI, a little while ago, and I'm having a couple problems with it.

First, whenever a turn up the volume past a certain point (around 4-5 for humbuckers, 5-6 for single coils) and turn my guitar's volume on full or play hard so a lot of signal is going through, I get a really nasty, out of place distortion from the amp. At really low volumes it sounds fine, but when the amp is cranked the noise is awful. It doesn't sound like natural distortion at all. Could this be caused by bad tubes? If so, preamp or power tubes? Could it just be a single tube that's giving me trouble or would I need to replace all of them?

Second, if I turn the reverb on my amp anywhere above 1 and a half, it becomes obnoxiously loud. I've seen videos of people playing with the reverb around 6 or 7, so I know there must be some sort of issue there. Anyone heard of this issue before?

Thanks in advance.
I think there have been a few issues on this amp FYI. Did you buy it new?

Yes a preamp tube could the problem you are describing. I would just buy 1 for now at GC or something and swap it thru all positions to see if you find the problem that way.

Also, are you 100% sure it is not your guitar/grounding? See if you can try another guitar in your amp.

Are you somehow related to me :stickpoke?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era

Goolz, was your mum friendly with teh mailman?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by imgooley
Are you somehow related to me :stickpoke?

I dunno, but I do love the Black Keys. Family in New York?
Quote by gooley
I dunno, but I do love the Black Keys. Family in New York?

My Dad was born in Long Island
Quote by shadow__666

Goolz, was your mum friendly with teh mailman?

Gooley is my surname via my father's side of the family :stickpoke

So if anything, it'd be mah dadday that was a little to familiar with teh locals.
Wow. Maybe I should mention this in mah essay also.

"As well as being a tool for collaboration when used effectively, Ultimate Guitar.com also has the potential to locate long lost family members!"
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by imgooley
My Dad was born in Long Island

My dad's family is from upstate New York, near Troy. Interesting.
Quote by gooley
My dad's family is from upstate New York, near Troy. Interesting.

Hey, you never know. I've never met anyone with the same surname before, but I guess it wouldn't be unheard of.

Oh, and to address your problem: Post clips if you can. Deluxe reverbs have low head room, so it could just be that you're overdriving the amp

I couldn't really say if I can't hear it.
I did a little poking around with a pencil eraser last night and it turns out i have 3 microphonic tubes, one of which is in the reverb circuit. I guess that's my problem.

You guise have to be related. "There is no such thing as coincidence". If you both know where that statement came from - it's a lock. I know imgooley does.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gooley
I did a little poking around with a pencil eraser last night and it turns out i have 3 microphonic tubes, one of which is in the reverb circuit. I guess that's my problem.

Tada! Problem solved.
Now next on the agenda...WHO ARE THE PARENTS?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
this is hilarious ,goolz has a long lost brother
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by Bostonrocks
this is hilarious ,goolz has a long lost fourth cousin thrice removed

Fixed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62cFaucr0b8

I think we should all celebrate the reunion of the long lost brothers/fourth cousins thrice removed/whatever.
Quote by Cathbard