Forgive me for anything n00bish I may say in this post, but I'm a guitar player coming to the bass forum to ask a few quick questions

Anywho, so I've finally managed to get my hands on a basic recording set-up, minus a few things. I've decided I should look into a cheap bass to record direct in with, just because from my experience, it's possible to get a pretty decent sound this way, and the results are MUCH better than using bass samples or MIDI sounds.

What I'm wondering, is if I need a humbucking pickup? (is that even the correct term for bass?)to get a good, punchy bass tone for metal, and maybe some punk or other stuff too? I like the classic Ampeg bass tone, but also enjoy the punchy character of say, Steve Harris's bass tone. Do pickups make a big difference? I'm not too picky about what bass to look into as long as it plays decently and sounds nice enough (within realistic expectations of course)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Can't wait till a guitard idiot replies to this one...

Who's that bass player that uses a Marcus Miller Jazz? Opeth?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
you do not need a humbucker. I believe Juan Alderete of Racer X used a jazz bass on stage.

I would myself suggest getting an Ibanez or Schecter, they make wicked metal tone, or even a Fender or Squier VM, though that would be try then buy for any of them.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
You can use literally any bass with a working neck and pickup for metal. There are so many different styles of metal, and so many bands with different sounds, that anything from a T-bird (insanely muddy) to a Rickenbacker (insanely bright) will fit in.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Mar 19, 2009,
Hmm. Well I guess I would say I'm mainly into Melodic death, thrash, and classic metal styles, along w/some power metal and metalcore.

I think what I'm after then might be a fairly balanced tone? (Something deep, but still cuts through well enough to be distinct over roaring guitars and drums)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Quote by FlightofIcarus
Hmm. Well I guess I would say I'm mainly into Melodic death, thrash, and classic metal styles, along w/some power metal and metalcore.

I think what I'm after then might be a fairly balanced tone? (Something deep, but still cuts through well enough to be distinct over roaring guitars and drums)

got a price? because the first thing that popped into my head was a 1500 dollar Warwick, the second was a 300 dollar Squier, and the third was a 600 dollar Schecter.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Oh sorry. Uh, the cheaper the better, lol. Probably nothing more than a couple hundred or so. I have no problem going used.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

then a Squier VM fretted jazz bass. it has a maple body with Duncan designed single coil pickups, so you can load the heavy bass on it and drop the treble and it will still punch like a freak.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Humbuckers or soapbar pickups add that extra crunch a lot of heavier bands want in their music due to the active electronics. This is why you see so many thrash, death, grind whatever bassists with single or double soapbar pickup basses.

In saying that, its not essential to use active electronics in metal. As the first reply mentioned, Martin Mendez of Opeth uses a Jazz bass almost exclusively in all his Opeth recordings which I'm sure, if you have heard or will hear them, sound destructive. The main difference is his style which is somewhat of a mellower, groovier and jazzier way of playing that fits well with the rest of the music despite its nature.
Quote by InvaderTSN
There's tons of bassists who don't use humbuckers for metal.

Like me. My two main basses are a Kramer DMZ 6000 (one p and one j pickup) and a Spector NS4-2J (2 single coils). Cliff Burton used a Rickenbacker 4003 on Kill Em All, and thats about as un-humbucker as you can get. Humbuckers aren't really necessary for metal bass because, unlike metal guitar, you don't use a ton of distortion. In fact, I prefer a really bright tone because you cut through better, and single coils are great for that.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I play metal and I have a Spector Legend which has two Soapbar 'buckers, provides enough deep tone but also has the high end zing that helps to cut through.
signature
If you want something for a few hundred bucks, then a Ibanez SR300 would fit the bill nicely.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
I'd get a Jazz Bass. Deep, trebly, and plenty of growl. I love to use my jazz bass for metal. The VM or the CV Squier Jazz is something you should look into.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by kugelspot
Cliff Burton used a Rickenbacker 4003 on Kill Em All, and thats about as un-humbucker as you can get.

Your point being? Cliff Burton most times was about as un-heard as you get.

Saying that, it is very possible to use single coils in metal, and I agree about not using extreme distortion in most cases.
And we're also pretending that Cliff didn't stick a Precision bass pickup on his Ric.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
A guitarist recording some bass... ooh this may have a interesting ending...
Anyway you dont really need humbuckers, I like them personally but it depends if your trying to cut through the mix or just back up the guitar. I find humbuckers seem to cut more especially actives. You could use single coils too. I say a lot has to do with ur amp settings strings and what bass you have. As for a bass id go with an Ibenez, its pretty cheap and good if your starting out.
Quote by thefitz
And we're also pretending that Cliff didn't stick a Precision bass pickup on his Ric.

he didnt

it was an EB humbucker(topical no?) and a jazz in the bridge.
the pickup swaping incidently happened AFTER he recorded KEM with it.
Quote by 2112pk
he didnt

it was an EB humbucker(topical no?) and a jazz in the bridge.
the pickup swaping incidently happened AFTER he recorded KEM with it.

I heard he put a thunderbird pickup in the neck position.... but i could be wrong never was a huge fan of him

TS, you dont need humbuckers ,but i just prefer them over everything else. I say go the Squier/ used Fender Jazz or Precision route.
It's a lot more EQ than pickups, but 'Buckers or splits will generally better than jazz (single) pups will. Basses also sometimes use soapbar pickups, I'm not really sure what the difference is, but that's what my schecter has and it's supposed to be a perfect metal bass.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.