I've been teaching myself guitar for a little over a year now, and although I've been making great progress I feel as though I've hit somewhat of a dead end. I am going to seek lessons soon, but until then, what's my next step? I don't know a lot of music theory, as I have taught myself solely from tabs. For an idea of where I am, I play a lot of Metallica (considering I have a FR setup and they play in mainly Standard E tuning) but the only solos of theirs I know are the one to Enter Sandman and the intro solo of Fade To Black. A lot of the songs or song pieces I know aren't really worth listing because they're easy things that I learned for fun. I guess I would say I'm in the early Intermediate range, but obviously there is no way to gauge that so I don't really know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Time to learn some penetonic scales I'd say. This was the hardest, and most rewarding thing for me.

I used this site a lot, but there are other places as well. http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

For me, it was a lot like work playing scales over and over and committing them to memory. But then I found myself improvising within the scales, and it sounded good! That's when guitar got to be fun for me. When I could express myself, and not just play someone else's notes.
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Learn about some theory and chord construction from the lessons on UG. Then you can learn pentatonic and your major scale and modes and understand how they work.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.