Page 1 of 2
I just did a thread on this butt am going to try again.

I have about $180 USD for a overdrive pedal that does JCM type of gain I want it to be a good clean boost but a better OD.

I have a Tweed Blues junior (on the way) and really need a good overdrive sound that has more gain than the Blues junior has on it's own.

I might do OCD but it's to overdone so maybe not, so don't suggestion OCD please.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Crunch Box?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah thats in my top 5 right now but it's really dark I've noticed, but I do like the tone
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
hmm...whats wrong with overdone?...if it sounds goos then who cares

anyhow...Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
^I Just didn't want OCD suggestions over and over, I know about it.

My top 5 right now are

Lovepedal Purple Plexi
MI audio CB
Barber direct drive
Voodo Lab Sparkle drive
Tonebone Hot british

I"m also considering a Tech 21 british and liverpool (are these any good?)
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
yeah OCD would probably give you the most gain, but its transparent, so it wouldn't voice the amp differently.

And condering you want a British voiced overdrive, and your running through your Blues Jr. you're not going to get that sound.

Talk to Kevin Saale, he was running a fulldrive 2, but he realized that it was transparent and he was looking for something to change the voicing.

Also maybe a darker voiced pedal like a crunch box would work with a pretty bright blues Jr.?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
^maybe I want to hear about teh tech 21 pedals how are they?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Heard my guitar professor play a Tech21 "British" pedal through his Blues Junior (with a Vintage 30) and it sounded pretty freakin sweet.

No exaggeration, Tech21 is good stuff and might be the answer to what you're looking for.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
I'll definatly take a look then
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
catalinbread dirty little secret
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White) (retired)
Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash studio
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Tobacco Burst)

Bass
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
^ I will take a look....

I like it alot I'll defintaly consider it
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Scott, I completely forgot about indy guitarist I learned alot about making pedals there I'll have to look into those.

acdc, I traded the laney for the blues jr I have on the way now. now before you flip out let me tell you about it.

Limited edition tweed
NOS tubes
less than 10 hours playing time
original box and papers.
Jensen C12n Ceramic speaker.
$680 brand new.

so I can turn around and sell it for 500 bucks if I don't like it. The laney wasn't what I wanted, it was close but no cigar kind of.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
eventually I was lucky enough to get close to a 14 an hour job so sometime later this year
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
eventually I was lucky enough to get close to a 14 an hour job so sometime later this year

Wow awesome man, I'll keep on the lookout for a totally awesome NAD later.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
EHX English Muff'n is easily the best choice here.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Whats up Brett? I'm pretty much lookin for the same thing.

The CB can be a dark pedal, but if you crank up the internal presence control it really brightens up. Check out the tonerider british distortion. The clips I've heard sound great. I'm considering one since they're only 80 bucks brand new.

Before I do anything I'm gonna get a DS1 and mod it to keeley specs and see how I like it. I'm tryin to get a MIJ one cheap on ebay.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I'm actually really liking the brian wampler pedals.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I'd definitely look at EHX English Muff'ns.
Tube overdrive pedals are definitely worth it, if they run at the proper voltage.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nudwRzogNJU&feature=related

it's pretty hard to beat that Wes. + it's through a Hotrod deluxe (alot like a Blues jr) and it sounds GREAT
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nudwRzogNJU&feature=related

it's pretty hard to beat that Wes. + it's through a Hotrod deluxe (alot like a Blues jr) and it sounds GREAT

I didn't say that they owned every normal overdrive pedal out there, but tube overdrive pedals are definitely worth the price if they run at the right voltages and such.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I believe and agree, but man, that pedal is intruging
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Make sure to keep your eye out for one of these:

Factor 2 will definitely get you JCM amounts of gain.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Mar 20, 2009,
Will do!
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Wes, that is one sexy pedal.

Brett- I can't help you much bro (my expertise lies in fuzz and chorus pedals, not overdrive as you know) but I was wondering:
- if I get the AOR (and that's a big if), what do you think 6L6s would sound like through it? I don't want to lose the hotrodded JCM tone because, as I said earlier, I'll probably use it for leads, but if it breaks up at a bedroom level I might look into it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I don't think you can get 6L6's in it without a big mod, you can do a really easy mod (I almost did) and but KT66s in it though, with 6L6's you would probably lose the marshall hotrod sound though.

it will NOT break up by cranking it at bedroom levels, but the AOR channel is nice for leads and "metal" type gain. and the normal channel if you crank the preamps has a great hotrod plexi sound if you have something with HB's
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I thought 6L6s and EL34s were pretty much interchangable? Oh well. If it stays clean at bedroom levels and I can record clean (which will be anything between 2 and 5) I won't bother even with the KT66s.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
^It can be done as long as the bias has enough play to allow for the adjustment and the tubes can handle the voltage from the amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Thanks Kevin. If I feel a need to, I'll get her checked out first.

End my threadjacking, let's help Brett now.
Quote by Cathbard
myX I'll look into them, they sound pretty nice.

Right now my top 5 look like this now.

SuperPlextortion
MI audio CB
EHX English Muffin
Tech 21 British
Tonebone Hot British.

I really like the Superplexitortion but the CB and Tech 21 are still in the running and cause of all the recs so is the English muffin
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I tried an English Muff'n and a Blues Jr just a few minutes ago for you.

It's a pretty nice combo, I would probably still rec the Crunch Box though.
Quote by Cathbard
okay, the muffin is gone.

Whats it sounds like shadow, I think it's a bit to thick isn't the word but it's like to muddy maybe I don't know what it is I tried one once it was good it just didn't do it for me
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
That's about it. If you tend to crank every dial as far to the right as it can go (which I tend to do with distortion/OD pedals) it does get a little muddy. It sounds best when either used as a boost, or at that small point just before it gets too muddy where it has a very nice, think British distortion - think Orange Rocker 30 or something like that.
Quote by Cathbard
see I don't like R 30s that much, I want plexi not orange you know
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Then it's not for you.
Quote by Cathbard
lets vote on it...

superplexstortion or...

MI AUDIO crunch box
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Page 1 of 2