I read, in a guitar magazine i believe, that hendrix stuck a match/toothpick in his pickup selector switch somewhere and achieved a different tone or something to that effect. can anyone enlighten me on if this could hold your pickup selector in a weird/specific spot or something to that effect?
He probably put in in his neck spot, because he used the neck/mid a lot. It's alot easier to have the neck stopped so you can just switch right to the one you want.
Up until 1977(one of the few good things to come out of CBS-era Fender), strat switches were three-way, not five-way. Hendrix stuck the match in to get the mid-neck position you can now easily get with your five-way switch on a modern stratocaster.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
Up until 1977(one of the few good things to come out of CBS-era Fender), strat switches were three-way, not five-way. Hendrix stuck the match in to get the mid-neck position you can now easily get with your five-way switch on a modern stratocaster.

^+1
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
With a 5 way switch as on a strat, it is possible to use the points halfway between each selector to acheive a slightly different sound too.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
Quote by necrosis1193

post is made of win

George Harrison used to do it too...in fact he may well have been doing it before Hendrix.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
how does wood conduct the to contacts together.... someone enlighten me...
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

It don't. It jams the switch in the position where contact is being made to two pups at the same time.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

The old 3 way switch can be put in neck/mid or mid/bridge position. But being spring loaded with detents didnt take much of a bang to the guitar body to make it drop into the detent. So a match stuck in the slot where neck position is the detent/spring would hold it against the match and keep it in mid/neck. Toothpick would tend to fall out being so small a match stick jams in rather well. There wasnt really an aftermarket like we have now. Back then you bought a guitar stock and that was about it. Its why Iommi didnt keep using a strat was replacement pickups were really hard to get so when it broke during recording he couldnt just go down to the shop and get a replacement dropped in.
Last edited by Tackleberry at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
post is made of win

George Harrison used to do it too...in fact he may well have been doing it before Hendrix.

Plenty of people did it before Hendrik