Hey all,

It's been a while since I've been on the forums - It's good to be back

I just have a quick question.

My little brother is looking at buying a new amp suited towards metalcore/death metal styles (Think Job for a cowboy, veil of maya, whitechapel etc...) but he does not have a lot of money.

He can't afford a tube stack, nor a tube combo for that matter...

I came across a person selling a metal head stack the other day and thought to myself, "I bet that's rubbish..."

BUT after some of the reviews I read on harmony-central, it actually didn't sound as bad as I imagined...

I used to own a 6505 which I thought was one amazing amp, and some of the reviewers were saying how it was better than mesa's, 6505's etc.

Are they pulling my chain or what? An SS Fender better than a Mesa?

I was thinking about trying it out, but wanted to get some advice on it first...

Can anyone back these guys up and say how good it is? Or is it terrible?

Thanks everyone,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
People write reviews praising MGs and Spider amps all the time. Definitely try it but I'm pretty sure it's not better than a Mesa or 6505.
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
A guitarist in a band I was in for a couple of years had one. Extremely over priced brand new, you can probably find them at a good price used. Honestly it wasn't bad, did metal pretty well imo. But there are other things you can look at too, like the ampeg vh140c, bugera, 5150, etc
Thanks guys,

I can pick this up for a little over $700AUD...(Maybe even less...)

Whereas a 6505 is $2000AUD and then plus a cab on top of that price...2nd hand lucky to get one the head for $1500AUD...

Thank you for the advice anyway!

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Last edited by danastasi at Mar 20, 2009,
550 watts? That's nuts! Haven't tested one yet. Looks worth a test dude!
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
I can tell you that it is uber-br00tal. If you don't need anything else, go for it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Thanks guys,

I'm just wondering if it is a worthy upgrade, or just a waste of money and time...

Methinks I may have to go and check it out

Thanks everyone,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Quote by shadow__666
I can tell you that it is uber-br00tal. If you don't need anything else, go for it.

This.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I heard they were total crap (?)
I dunno, if you can try it then DEFINITELY make sure you do that first.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I say try to find an Ampeg VH140C or a Crate GT3500H, but if there are none of those available to you then try out the MH.
For that price, snatch it up.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Well, my take on it since I own one of these badboys and actually snatched mine up a couple of months ago.

List price is ridiculous. $1800!! I would have never thought of even trying this amp out with that kinda price tag..too steep for me. And with that price tag, you can find a good used tube head and a nice cab instead..

I was able to find somebody on Craigslist that was selling the half-stack for $600US. Read the reviews..some were yay..some were nay. That much of a cut off of list price, I had to take a look.

Never tried one before. Drove 100 miles .. plugged in my Jackson .. went straight for the loose drive .. 2 minutes later their neighbors came a knockin.

It had the raw tone I was looking for even with quick adjustments to the EQ. Very sensitive knobs so you get a good range of tones.

Like all the harmony-central reviews .. noise gate is awesome, but should have been separate from the other effects. The cleans can get high and not distort. I'm not much of an FX guy, but I tried some on this and they were pretty cool. Good chorus sound on the clean tone.

No need for a dist pedal with this. The loose drive should be enough. I live in a loud @$$ neighborhood, so I have cranked this thing plenty. I love the reversal of roles. My drummer is complaining now because he cant hear himself..

Overall, a good amp for that price. I would snatch it up. But like always, try it before you buy it. We all can say stuff to persuade you or keep you from buying something .. and can only give our experiences .. YOU are the one who decides what tone you like.
No, definitely no. Horrible sounding amps.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
no experience with this but you might be able to afford a decent tube amp. what about a bugera?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Its not going to be better than a Mesa or 6505. That said, it is a decent amp if you snag one used. I'd also look into Bugera. If you do your research and have a tech give the amp a once over, they are great amps for the money. I'd rather have the Bugera over this Fender.
If I were playing 100% metal, I'd take the Fender MH over virtually any tube amp on the market (except maybe a Soldano Avenger or a Bogner Uberschall). It has just about everything you need to cover any end of the metal spectrum: lots of adjustment, TONS of power amp headroom, and a preamp section that distorts nicely while retaining a crisp response that most tube amps can't duplicate.

If I were playing 99% metal and 1% anything else (at all), I'd look elsewhere.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
It sounds like a 550-watt metal zone, but at least you can keely mod those...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by Say Ocean
A guitarist in a band I was in for a couple of years had one. Extremely over priced brand new, you can probably find them at a good price used. Honestly it wasn't bad, did metal pretty well imo. But there are other things you can look at too, like the ampeg vh140c, bugera, 5150, etc

+1