So my band is touring in june and I want to get a decent rack system going.
I know it sounds bad, but I have absolutely NO experience in racks..
I play through a 5150 head and Mesa Recto 412 cab
My budget is around $650
This is what I'm planning on getting so far:
(If I am leaving anything out, even cables, cords, etc., tell me please!)

*Gator GR ATA 4-Space Shallow Rack Case
*Furman M-8X Power Conditioner (dont even know what these do, i know i need one)
*Korg DTR-1000 Rackmount Digital Tuner
*Noisegate (my 5150 is noisy as hell..i dont know what to do here)
*Eq (what is a good rack EQ, or should i go with a pedal?)
you don't need all that ****...

-you don't need something you don't even know what's for
-get a tuning pedal... that simple
-gain under 6 and boost it w/ an OD (if you really need to suppress it, get a decimator)
-get an EQ pedal

you are throwing your money. kid
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai

-gain under 6 and boost it w/ an OD (if you really need to suppress it, get a decimator)
-get an EQ pedal

yeah, i totally agree, racks really aren't necessary. just get a tuner pedal, a good od, a noise gate, and save yourself a ton of money. the best tone is always guitar-into-amp
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I disagree with ya'll here. Racks have their place if you want a VERY high-end rig.

*Furman conditioner (gives your rack consistant voltage)
*Crybaby Wah
*TC Electronics 1210 for chorus/flange
*TC Electronics 2290 for delay
*Eventide Harmonizer
*Palmer PDI-03 speaker simulator (eliminates a mic)
Racks are awesome if you want superior sound. Its just a fact that all the good stuff id rack mounted.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Thanks Beer, but I don't ever use mod effects like flanger/chorus, so I wouldnt need those.
So then your saying I should keep my noisegate and tuner on the floor as pedals?
Last edited by Th3_Failsafe at Mar 20, 2009,
i'd say you're wasting money getting a rackmount if you don't really use lots of effects and aren't using a preamp-poweramp setup. howbout you just get:
korg pitchblack pedal tuner
isp decimator (the g-string version if you gotta switch channels)
mxr ten band eq
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
yes. invest in a decent noisegate pedal like the ISP Decimator and a Tuner such as a peterson strobe tuner or a bit cheaper a Boss tuner unit. those should easily run you under $400 or maybe $500 (i have no clue how much these items cost individually so you should check with stores and stuff)
Ahh, alright thanks guys. I guess I don't NEED a rack, afterall, i am on a tight budget.

I think I'm just gonna go with a pedal board including:

Korg Pitchback Chromatic Tuner
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-Band EQ
Ibanez TS9
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Analog Delay (Need help deciding on a good one)

Just one question about this:
Will having the tube screamer and the maximizer on at the same time sound ok?
The main reason I got rack gear was for the effects you wouldn't use. You can go EQ, power conditioner and noise gate for under your budget. With that set up you wouldn't really need a pedal to turn anything on or off. Being you are going to tour you may want the rack gear as opposed to pedals, which is your choice and money. But also remember, you may want to have back up units depending. Same with pedals if you went that route so keep that in mind.

Edit: Argh, we posted at the same time.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 20, 2009,
I think that everyone saying that you don't need a rack obviously doesn't play shows where getting in and out quickly is very important. I use pretty much no effects, but I use my rack to simplify my setup/teardown. I have everything all wired up, all of my pedals are vecro'ed to the bottom of my rack and I only need to plug into my rack tuner and into my amp. I'd definitely say go for it. Here are some picks of what I have going on.

Quote by ihatepigum
I think that everyone saying that you don't need a rack obviously doesn't play shows where getting in and out quickly is very important. I use pretty much no effects, but I use my rack to simplify my setup/teardown. I have everything all wired up, all of my pedals are vecro'ed to the bottom of my rack and I only need to plug into my rack tuner and into my amp. I'd definitely say go for it. Here are some picks of what I have going on.

I can both agree and disagree with this. Rackmounted rigs can definitely ease up a setup/teardown in some situations. Two rigs ago, my pedalboard got so complicated it wasn't even funny and I still needed to add a few things. As a result I ended up building a mid-sized Midi controlled rack rig and effectively cut down on my workload by about half. Of course now, going to another rack rig would be the very definition of "pointless". All it would do is add several hundred extra bucks worth of gear and an extra (and large, and bulky) case to carry around.

To the threadstarter: You don't need a rack rig with needs that simple. My advice is to drop the Sonic Maximizer all together, exchange the Ibanez TS-9 for a Maxon OD-9, and look at the Tech21 Boost D.L.Y. for the delay pedal. I'd put the Decimator after the OD in the signal chain, but before the delay. I would use a daisy chain for the power for everything, and skip out on fancy pedalboards and use a 1"x8" board.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by touji-za-nai

-get an EQ pedal

I agree. People want **** just to be getting it because it looks cool. If you don't know what something does or you have to ask what to get then YOU DONT NEED IT. Now if you find a reason to get it then get it. For example I have reason for a rack tuner, I don't want to look at the ground to tune. So I got one. I decided to go with a noise gate pedal instead of the rack. I have tried the rack version and it wasn't any better than the pedal. The pedal got rid of all the noise so I saw no reason to throw more money out. A power conditioner to plug your amp in maybe something you need.

Theres plenty of things i can think of certain people would need. But if you don't know then like I said you don't need it.

Edit: If you want a noise gate get one. With the 5150 it sucks playing without one the thing is just to noisy. Plug it in front of the amp to eliminate feedback. If you plug it in the fx loop it just kills amp hum. Some do both.
Last edited by hcsn2008 at Mar 20, 2009,