I got a cheap epiphone speacial2 from guitar center as my first guitar, about 3 weeks ago.

And i have no idea what im doing, so ill post some facts about what i can do, so maybe someone can tell me what i should do to improve (it feels like im not getting any better)

-my goal is to be able to play most metallica songs (minus the solos for a while)

-i can do the blues scale (i think its called?) at around 270+ BPM. im guessing that number since the online metronome i found only goes to 240 BPM.

I CAN PLAY (that i can think of, but u get the idea -i suck-)

- intro to "one" untill it gets to the fast pull off part.

-the intro to "...and justice for all"

-intro to "water under the bridge" by red hot chili peppers

-intro to "master of puppets" but im alternate picking and i beleive its sposed to be downstrokes?

THINGS I THINK IM DOING WRONG

when i pick i think i dip the pick too far in the strings and it slows me down alot. like i can strum the beat of "eye of the beholder" intro, but when i try to do the chords i get all messed up.

my pull offs sound bad

chords are my worst enemy. i cant even play "smells like teen spirit" cus i cant move the chords fast enough

thats all i can think of. sorry for crappy grammar, im tired.

any and all help will be greatly appreciated. sorry if i dont reply alot, i am busy with work alot.
lol you've been playin for 3 weeks, sounds like your makin good progress to me, figure out whats wrong (looks like you already have) and tackle these problems with a metronome and practice alot
this took me awhile to perfect, when it comes to metallica songs... downpicking to Master of Puppets will give you pain in your arm and wrist. also, do u leave your pick with much material left over?

or how do u hold the pick? do u hold it towards the bottom or more towards the top?
Quote by Anthony92

-my goal is to be able to play most metallica songs (minus the solos for a while)

well, that's your first problem. when you first start playing, its a good idea to start with a broad range of music, then specialize once you start getting good. have a friend who only played thrash metal when he first started, and now he sucks at every other genre except thrash when he plays
i hold it with about half of the material out. when i hold it with less coming out my fingers hit the strings from the dipping up and down motion i make when im playing too fast. idk how to help it cus its awkward to rest my hand anywhere so my hand is always floating around
haha, yea I mainly play metallica cus the intros are easy to some songs. (exept for blasted "eye of the beholder"
hmm
I love Metallica, but you gotta play other stuff too
Try some Nirvana, easy stuff. And it also makes you feel good to actually play an easy solo when you first start.

edit: my bad, I missed the chords part. But if your gonna want to play Metallica your gonna need to play chords fast. Even "For Whom The Bell Tolls" has some fast-ish chords.

post-edit: SMOKE ON THE WATER!
I'm FAT!
Last edited by tatatotfolife at Mar 20, 2009,
I agree with the other guys - expand your horixons past Metallica into other stuff you're into or just some well known guitar stuff
Quote by tatatotfolife
hmm
I love Metallica, but you gotta play other stuff too
Try some Nirvana, easy stuff. And it also makes you feel good to actually play an easy solo when you first start.

i learned "all apologies" and "come as you are" intros, but i keep skipping songs when i get to the chords in the tab since i get discouraged about playing single notes 400 times faster then i can get my fingers in place for a chord.

and how do i play a chord like this?

-0-
-0-
-2-
-2-
---
-0-

mute the blank sting with my finger?
I have to go to bed now, ill read comments tomorrow sometime. thanks to all the people already helping me out.

leaving note: can you guys post tips about how to get past this "no chords" slum im in?

on "master of puppets" the slide then open E is killin me.

FAVORITE BANDS:
Metallica
Pantara
slayer
lamb of god
GnR
The first solo to Metallica's One (Pull Off part) is really easy just take it note by note and put it together. Great job also!
Have:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
Ovation Celebrity
B-52 AT-112

Want:
N/A
Learn open chords first.
Then barre + power chords.

Leave the fiddly stuff for now.

That's all.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Learn open chords, then barre chords (shouldnt really need to learn a power chord, its just a retarded barre chord).
Once you kind of have these down, learn some songs which only use them. A great one to try is knocking on heavens door, 4 chords and not too hard a strum pattern once you get the hang of it.
Quote by Anthony92
i learned "all apologies" and "come as you are" intros, but i keep skipping songs when i get to the chords in the tab since i get discouraged about playing single notes 400 times faster then i can get my fingers in place for a chord.

and how do i play a chord like this?

-0-
-0-
-2-
-2-
---
-0-

mute the blank sting with my finger?
Yes, you mute the blank string with your finger - or any bit of your fretting hand thats free and can reach easily really.

Don't try and play fast - try and play accurately. And for chords, its just practice. If you're having trouble switching between two chords, then practice that movement slowly until you get it smooth, then gradually speed up. Make up your own little riff just using those 2 chords to stop it getting too boring. Then throw another chord into the mix, until you can eventually change smoothly between all your open chords.

If you can't strum the rhythm and change chords at the same time yet, don't worry. Try practicing each separately, until you are comfortable like that, then put them back together again - so practice the strumming pattern on muted strings (this will help you stop digging the pick in too much too), and then practice the chord changes, but only strum each chord once, or just strum on each beat, then when you are confident with both slow it down again and put them back together.
+1

you're not going to be able to play the stuff you want to after 3 weeks, and unless you start yorself off the right way you'll never be able to.

You need to step away from what you want to learn and spend a few months learning to paly the guitar. Like people have said, spend some time on your chords, you'll be making frequent use of basic chord knowledge for the bulk of your playing life so you need to get learning it right from the start.

Seriously, the stuff you think you can play fast at the moment...you can't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i've played since november and i cant play the intro to justice for all!!! but then i havent tried very much either. i find playing system of a down songs very handy since i've been gotten much better since i started listen to them. maybe 2-3 months ago.
Quote by Lars
Hey guys. What is this new amp we got today? it says M... Ma... Mars something. Marshall!!!
i think it says MG here on a little note too
Quote by Kirk

Quote by James
RUN LARS!!!

lulz
Quote by steven seagull
+1

you're not going to be able to play the stuff you want to after 3 weeks, and unless you start yorself off the right way you'll never be able to.

You need to step away from what you want to learn and spend a few months learning to paly the guitar. Like people have said, spend some time on your chords, you'll be making frequent use of basic chord knowledge for the bulk of your playing life so you need to get learning it right from the start.

Seriously, the stuff you think you can play fast at the moment...you can't.

alrighty, ill try learning all the chords and being able to switch between them fast and faster.
leaving note: can you guys post tips about how to get past this "no chords" slum im in?

Yup!

Take chords, and play them slowly enough that you CAN play them, and your fingers will memorise the movements for you. That's actually the basis of all practice for guitar.

Take a section from what you want to learn - slow it way down until you can play it perfectly and focus, then keep playing it until it's effortless. Then you'll probably be able to pick up the tempo a little. Check my correct practice vid for an example of this.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i__1_introduction_-_the_guitar.html

I highly suggest following this. It really helped me get started. At least follow it midway into the second part. Also try practicing chord changes and memorization. And really try to learn whole songs. If you get stuck on a part of a song you want to learn, keep trying it out until you get it. You'll develop new skills that way.
Quote by guitar zerp
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i__1_introduction_-_the_guitar.html

I highly suggest following this. It really helped me get started. At least follow it midway into the second part. Also try practicing chord changes and memorization. And really try to learn whole songs. If you get stuck on a part of a song you want to learn, keep trying it out until you get it. You'll develop new skills that way.

yea I started learning chords. my friends kept buggin me "why dont you play a whole song" and ive just been like "well all the songs i wanna play are impossible to swich chords fast enough as a beginner"

Im now memorizing the major chords and then minor.
^ probably a whole song isn't the best idea right now - the best thing you can do is feed yourself a varied diet of lots of fragments (choruses, intro riffs). That will get you exposed to a whole wide variety of techniques without getting bogged down on one song.

Since it sounds like we like the same music, here's some of the stuff that I can remember learning on during my first few months (this was sometime during the dark ages!) -

- intro to Crazy train
- intro to Metallica's Seek and Destroy (first few riffs)
- intro to Iron Maiden's Phantom of the Opera ( a bit harder due to the triplets)

Chords - yeah, it is hard to get all your fingers to move into place at the same time at first. I'd attack this one on two fronts in parallel.

1) changing shapes. Work on open position chords for this at first. Each week pick two open chords, for example C and D, and practice changing between them every day for that week.
2) movable bar chords. First you want to get shifting them around down, without worrying about changing shapes. So for example, you could practice going between a D minor chord in the 5th position to a E minor chord in the 7th position. Or heck, before even that, work on shifting power chords around.

After a while doing this, you should be ready to start attacking combining the two techniques (changing shapes and changing positions).

About the metronome work you mentioned, it sounds like you are playing one note per click. A great next thing to work on is subdividing the beat - playing more than one note per click, but at slower tempos. Start out with 8th notes (that is two notes per click - or 8 notes per 4 clicks which is a bar in 4/4 time - hence the name 8th notes). Always tap your foot in addition to the metronome (this is how you "feel" the rhythm and get it internalized), and concentrate on landing solidly on the click - you should aim to "bury the beat" - ie land on it so precisely that you can't hear the click.
learn what you want, just make sure its diversified. Alot of people spend an entire year learning one song or one band and then they can't play or learn anything else without starting completely over.

Take some time to learn the chords like many have suggested on here and make the guitar personal for you.
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
im kinda like you when i first started playin a year ago, a couple weeks in i was playing all metallica songs and for some reason after a couple of months i was actually playing solos (theyre good too). the thing i need to work on is downstroking too so what im doing is get a metronome if you dont have one just search "metronome" on google and theres tons of free websites. take a master of puppets riff and play it half speed with all downstrokes for a long time and gradually keep picking up speed. id say move up by one click when you can play it 5 times in a row perfectly. do this every day for 3 weeks and i guarantee you will see amazing improvement at the end

DKMEDIT: read this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210172
Last edited by DKMfreak410 at Mar 22, 2009,