I am looking for opinions on the Boss RV-3 reverb/delay peedal. I have had it for years, but I am not super happy with it. I play a Gibson LP through an original Marshall 1987 50w head that has an effects loop added.

I love my tone, but I am not stoked with my reverb. It just sounds too digital for my tastes. I was told the EH "Holy grail" is the best reverb pedal, but it too is digital, and I am just wondering if anyone has any insight to how they might compare.

I also understand that the RV-3 is somewhat well though of, and I could actually sell it for more than I could buy a used holy grail. I do not use the delay on the RV-3. I miss my old real spring reverb from my old amp, that is the sound I like. Is there a pedal that can nail it that isn't a fender spring reverb?
Last edited by Chetbango at Mar 20, 2009,
well im not a reverb expert but i dont think that the EH Holy Grail is the "best" reverb pedal...but i have had experiences with the RV-3 and i was also unsatisfied with it so i went and spent a little extra cash $$$ and got myself the Tech 21 Boost R.V.B. Analog Reverb Pedal and it is freakin amazing...in my opinion it for sure beats out any reverb pedal in its price range and with its Boost function it really helps out with any solos and just makes it sound that much better...hah sorry if i wasnt any help but there was my opinion...and yes it does nail spring reverb quite well...
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD MH-1000 String Thru w/SD's (brown ftw!)
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Amps/Pedals
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Tech 21 Boost R.V.B. Analog Reverb Pedal
Line 6 Spider III combo
Quote by Astray57
well im not a reverb expert but i dont think that the EH Holy Grail is the "best" reverb pedal...but i have had experiences with the RV-3 and i was also unsatisfied with it so i went and spent a little extra cash $$$ and got myself the Tech 21 Boost R.V.B. Analog Reverb Pedal and it is freakin amazing...in my opinion it for sure beats out any reverb pedal in its price range and with its Boost function it really helps out with any solos and just makes it sound that much better...hah sorry if i wasnt any help but there was my opinion...and yes it does nail spring reverb quite well...

Awesome, this is just the type of feedback I am looking for. I will check that out.
yea man no problem just check it out on youtube...there is a really good demonstration of it on the tech 21 website
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/boostrvb.html
its on the left side of the page that said "Video Reviews" just click on it and yea...good luck man!
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD MH-1000 String Thru w/SD's (brown ftw!)
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Amps/Pedals
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Tech 21 Boost R.V.B. Analog Reverb Pedal
Line 6 Spider III combo
Check out a Danelectro Spring King also. Spring reverb on a budget.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
+1 on the Spring King if you're on a budget. If not, go with the Tech 21 Boost RVB. The Holy Grail is okay, but it really muddies up on higher mix settings.

The RV-3 is meant to be digital sounding - it's highly regarded by post-rock/ambient bands who use lots of immense decay times and thick washy reverbs.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com