Alright, I just want to start off by saying that I love my band members like my brothers and they are all awesome people. Now, with that out of the way, time for ranting.

My band members can be really ignorant about certain things, and sometimes it makes me really mad. Here's what I have to deal with:

1. Metalhead lead guitarist. Every song has to have blazing leads, or else it sucks. I told him one day that I wanted to expand my playing and learn classical, jazz, and blues and he started to laugh and make fun of me.

2. A bass player with really crappy gear but won't upgrade bass stuff (he says he doesn't want to waste his money) so he buys guitar stuff and insists on playing guitar on all of the songs.

3. I'm having a serious amp issue right now. The amp that I'm playing through is a Line6 Spider III 75Watt Combo amp (please, take a moment out now to laugh at me). When I first got it I knew nothing about tone or how bad it was. Also, I'm a big fan of combo amps. They're easier to carry around than stacks. Anyways, the bass player that I mentioned above owns a Spider III 75Watt Stack amp.

Basically he thinks that the sound from a Line6 is like an angel singing. I hate it. So I told them a while ago that I want to upgrade my amp to a Peavey Valveking (does anyone know if this is a good metal amp?) because I want a tube amp. Problem is, it's only 50Watts. I've been trying to convince them that a 50Watt tube will be loud enough to play with the band, but they don't believe me. They are also telling me to get a half stack because "I look like a grom (made up word, basically means stupid)" when I play onstage with a combo.

Please, help me deal with my band members. They are very single minded about stuff and every idea I have or riff I write they shoot down instantly. I don't know what to do anymore.

tl;dr: How to deal with a metalhead guitarist, bass player who only upgrades his guitar stuff, and how to convince both of them Line6 sucks and a 50Watt Tube amp is loud enough for a band.
TBH i think the best thing you could do is having a serious talk with and if that dosn't help, leave the band. They might be good friends but as it seems you don't belong together (xD)
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
My two cents!!

1. What does it matter to the lead guitarist what styles you want to play on your own time?? I'd say learn what you want and you can start adding those influences to what you play with the band.

As long as the band as a whole is happy with the music you're producing it shouldn't matter overly what you choose to enjoy on your own time. If, however, you're a metal band and you've decided you've had enough of the genre and want to be jazz band you might have issues...

2. Key words here were 'bass' and 'player'. If he's the current bass player in your band he should be doing what is required as such. If your band line up is good with the guitarists you have he can either a) enjoy playing bass with you guys or b) find a band where he can play guitar if he would prefer to play guitar (there is another option here if you want to swap him into a guitar role...)

3. If you aren't happy with your gear and want to upgrade, again, it's your call. It doesn't matter whether they think it's crap or not, it's your tone. If you were upgrading to gear that wasn't right for the style of music or didn't do what you needed it to do on a band level then imo they can have input, if not then you should be cool.

I wouldn't try and change their minds about thigns like this tbh. You need to compromise on things that are relevant at a band level, if something is going to influence everyone then they get a say, if it's something like what you want to play on their own time or what brand amp you want to buy imo they shouldn't really get to weigh in.
As what I have learned from these forum 50 W tube amps should be enough :S But I think this is nto so much a band problem as a peopel problem man. Perhaps yrou band is seriously just plain ignorant and in fact, suck.

I myself have nto yet found otu ways to deal with such ignorance, but I think a serious talk should have to do the trick. If they start making fun of you, replace the entire band.
1. Tell him playing guitar isn't all about playing shreds and crazy lead parts. Also you could take a classical song and put it into some crazy lead stuff for him aswell :P

2. Your bassist seems not to be taking it serious to be playing bass. I recommend talking to him about this.

3. I am using a Line6 Spider Valve 212 Bogner (40 watt) tube amp. I was jamming with friends who had Guitaramp that was 75 amp (not tube) and a bass amp (100 w), I could get the most volume with just moving the volume knob on the amp by a few millicentemeters.
Line6 Spider Valve 212 Bogner is really good. (Bogner is one of the leading amp makers in the world).
my tube amps 40 watt is like a normal amp that is 120 watt
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Last edited by Gulli05 at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by NearDissent
Alright, I just want to start off by saying that I love my band members like my brothers and they are all awesome people. Now, with that out of the way, time for ranting.

My band members can be really ignorant about certain things, and sometimes it makes me really mad. Here's what I have to deal with:

1. Metalhead lead guitarist. Every song has to have blazing leads, or else it sucks. I told him one day that I wanted to expand my playing and learn classical, jazz, and blues and he started to laugh and make fun of me.

2. A bass player with really crappy gear but won't upgrade bass stuff (he says he doesn't want to waste his money) so he buys guitar stuff and insists on playing guitar on all of the songs.

3. I'm having a serious amp issue right now. The amp that I'm playing through is a Line6 Spider III 75Watt Combo amp (please, take a moment out now to laugh at me). When I first got it I knew nothing about tone or how bad it was. Also, I'm a big fan of combo amps. They're easier to carry around than stacks. Anyways, the bass player that I mentioned above owns a Spider III 75Watt Stack amp.

Basically he thinks that the sound from a Line6 is like an angel singing. I hate it. So I told them a while ago that I want to upgrade my amp to a Peavey Valveking (does anyone know if this is a good metal amp?) because I want a tube amp. Problem is, it's only 50Watts. I've been trying to convince them that a 50Watt tube will be loud enough to play with the band, but they don't believe me. They are also telling me to get a half stack because "I look like a grom (made up word, basically means stupid)" when I play onstage with a combo.

Please, help me deal with my band members. They are very single minded about stuff and every idea I have or riff I write they shoot down instantly. I don't know what to do anymore.

tl;dr: How to deal with a metalhead guitarist, bass player who only upgrades his guitar stuff, and how to convince both of them Line6 sucks and a 50Watt Tube amp is loud enough for a band.

Direct them to UG and we'll straighten em out. You should buy the VK and bring it to practice and show them how loud 50 watts tube is. They probably don't understand the basic rules of amplification in that tubes amplify many more harmonic frequencies than solid states so they sound louder, and generally sound better. I honestly think you should tell your band mates to grow up, becuase that sounds dridicouls. A that metalhead who is laughing at you for wanting to increase your versatility will not be the one laughing when you simultaneously integrate those different styles into your playing to sound better. That bassist sounds like he wants to be a guitarist rather than a bassist. Find someone who actually wants to do thier job.
The Line 6 75 Watt isn't that bad for pop-punk which is what my band plays. I have one. Just saying...

And my friend has a 50 watt Mesa Boogie. It over powers my amp when its most of the way up and his is only on like 2 or 3. It might have a more powerful preamp or power amp or something than the Peavey would though though. I don't really know too much about that kind of stuff.
Thanks for the help. And firesprite, I probably worded that situation bad (it was late at night) but he plays bass in our band, but wants to play guitar on most of the songs and have me play bass, which the rest of the band is against.
If you wanna get the Valveking, get it, it's your gear, not theirs. Plus, you will be able to show them that it can easily overpower the Line 6 Spider III
First off, show your guitarist Atheist - Unquestionable Presence and Cynic - Focus, and he'll never make fun of jazz+metal again, the bassist, I don't know, you might want to direct him to an amp that'll work as a bass and guitar amp, like a Sunn or Sovtek MIG, both which work nice for guitar+bass IMO. As for the VK question, 50 Watts of tube power will overpower the Line6 amps no problem and will be just fine for you situation.
Please leave the band, I HATE ignorant cunts like that. Talking to them about it normally just gets them to nod along and go back to their normal selves. Your call, they could be close friends.

Surprised no-one has brought up anything about the valveking (NO GET THIS AMP, normally 20000 times more than your budget but NEVERMIND!)
Guitar Gear
Marlin 2 Single 1 HumBuggy
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
V-Amp2
Marshall MG10CD - Microwaved
Line6 Spider III 30w - Put it in the oven
On the whole gear situation...

You have to live with what you buy, not them, if you are really confident in that amp then get it. Just remember, if the amp turns out to be horrible then it's YOUR ass in the deep fryer.
No means maybe
Quote by NearDissent
Thanks for the help. And firesprite, I probably worded that situation bad (it was late at night) but he plays bass in our band, but wants to play guitar on most of the songs and have me play bass, which the rest of the band is against.

If, generally, you guys are happy with your current guitarists and he wants to play guitar he's going to have to find another band. He can't just expect you to step aside because he's decided he would rather play guitar than bass. Sorry to be so blunt about it, but if he's not getting what he wants out of the band (pretty obvious because he doesn't seem to into his role) then it's in his best interests to move on as well.
1. Tell him no solos. That's what band did to me (just for this one song though, don't worry :p) and it works.

2. So what? Is he poor? Can afford new bass ****? Just lay off of him.

3. Buy it. They can't tell u what to do.

In conclusion:

They all seem like dicks anyway, except the drummer, haven't heard anything about him. Leave.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
your lead guitarist just sounds like a douche it is your choice what genre's you play
and jazz blues and classical influences in music can make it much better sometimes
i even use flamenco influences

get the rest of your band to tell that bassist that he is a bassist, and that if he wants to play guitar then he should leave and find a new band. if you've played any gigs he should realise that crappy equipment can make you sound horrible

if you like the valvekings sound then go for it 50w from a tube amp is definately enough
1. He laughed at you when you said you wanted to broaden your musical ability and blend other styles into your playing? Yes, what a terrible idea, nobody likes variation, only br00talz.

2. He joined the band to fill the role of bass, so unless you're cool with swapping off guitar roles with him, he's useless if he refuses to play what he's there to play. You can't have 3 guitarists, somebody needs to round out the low end, especially since they're all tone-deaf and probably try to out-volume eachother.

3. First of all, a 50-watt tube is MORE than enough for both practice AND gigging, even without mics a 50-watt tube can get LOUD.

"They are also telling me to get a half stack because "I look like a grom (made up word, basically means stupid)" when I play onstage with a combo."

This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard, are your band-mates in junior high? Honestly. If they don't know the difference between a good tube amp and a Spider III half stack then you're probably just wasting your time, because chances are they're just as ignorant as they are unintelligent.

My 2 cents

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner