Hey guys.

I have my MIA Tele deluxe, and I love it to death, but I really want to some surf-esque bends. The first idea that came up immediately was attaching a bigsby, due to convenience and the fact (FACT) that it looks awesome. I was thinking retrofitting a Joe Barden bridge (3 brass saddles) and cutting grooves into the bridge, like this.

Now, the problem is that I am not very familiar with the bigsby system, so I have a few questions about it before I take the plunge.

The thing with me is that I am a very heavy handed player. With hard strumming, is it easier to break strings with a bigsby? Will hard picking and palm muting put other strings out of tune, like a floyd rose? If I broke a string, would it put the others out of tune? How will the Bigsby effect my over-all tone?

And o'course, feel free to post pics of all bigsby-fied guitars to add a little sizzle to my thread.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I THINK that it wouldn't mess with your tone too much and would make a change in your sustain(it might not be noticeable though)

I don't think they break strings faster than other trems. I don't have one but I've read a bit about them so take what I said for what you want it to be.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
There is a specific tele style Bigsby that comes with a new bridge. I've been thinking about going that route for a long time.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
There is a specific tele style Bigsby that comes with a new bridge. I've been thinking about going that route for a long time.

Yes, but the thing is that the bigsby you are thinking of utilizes a jazzmaster bridge, which I am not the greatest fan of. I just think that the tele bridge looks so cool, and it is rediculously comfortable for palm muting (as apposed to my charvel's floyd).
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp

The thing with me is that I am a very heavy handed player. With hard strumming, is it easier to break strings with a bigsby? Will hard picking and palm muting put other strings out of tune, like a floyd rose? If I broke a string, would it put the others out of tune? How will the Bigsby effect my over-all tone?

And o'course, feel free to post pics of all bigsby-fied guitars to add a little sizzle to my thread.

Heavy strumming =/= breaking strings with a bigsby.
I have had issues with shallow saddles that the strings ride on at the bridge. (Mine has shallow saddles). But the one you show in the pic looks fine. I doubt you would have an issue.
I don't have a problem with strumming/muting putting strings out of tune at all. As long as I stretch the strings out a lot when I first put them on it's fine for strumming and surf like dives etc. With floyds the bridge "floats" so if you rest your strumming hand on them it moves some, especially if you are a heavy mute/strummer. With a bigsby style trem, the saddle point "bridge" is fixed to the guitar, so palm muting doesn't "bend" the trem and bridge.

doitnao, tele's are the secks with bigsbys!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I am a Bigsby who! As some of you may know, I have a Gibson Les Paul DC with ****loads of mods, one being a Bigsby. It sounds amazing for surf, among other stuff, and I haven't broke a single string on it in all the time I've had it, and I pick rather hard.

EDIT: here's some pr0n:

Last edited by Aidy Damage at Mar 20, 2009,
Awesome! All I am worried about is the lack of stability of a tremolo system, but it seems like these are pretty rock solid. Will a bigsby fit in a gator style hard case? Is the arm removable?

Also, Aidy, that is one sexgasmic guitar.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke