I get so burnt out trying to play with chord progressions and this is why. If anyone can help me over this brick wall I will be a satisfied man. Ok if I want to created a minor progression of just arpegiated basic chords such as Am C G. Ok it sounds great, but me being a diehard Metallica fan of coarse I need to... I want to now turn my crunch on and play something dark heavy and metal. I'm lost I don't understand how powerchords work with regular chord shapes. Its like I can feel how I want it to be but I am lacking the knowledge to create it. I can hear it in my head but I want to be able to right it and understand whats going on at least a little. Also I have another question how do I know when I was to use a shape such as

|
|
|

or

|
|
| x
|
Last edited by rebel624 at Mar 20, 2009,
Power chords are chords that are neither major or minor since they don't contain the third of the chord.

You can use them anyway you want to tell you the truth... It just depends on the context you want to use them in.

Quote by rebel624
Also I have another question how do I know when I was to use a shape such as

|
|
|

or

|
|
| x
|

These are totally different shapes. the second shape is just an octave of your root. you can hear kirk hammett use this shape in the beginning of the day that never comes (the intro solo)

The other shape will give you the kind of sound (chord wise) that James uses for his rythem playing. These are "full" powerchords. the contain the root and the fifthe of the chord.
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Last edited by crimson moon at Mar 20, 2009,
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/html/id50_en.html

and

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/circle-of-fifths.php

and you have all the common progressions you will ever need....

EDIT: in terms of adding power chords into the progression, they are a-tonal so neither minor or major, just make sure they're in the same key and they will sound badass and heavy
Quote by Bubban
I once had a sudden urge to rape sheep in Scotland after watching CNN, that was pretty freaky.
Last edited by metalimaster at Mar 20, 2009,
I have another question and thank you very much for the response. Say Im playing a lick like this just not particularly chords. When I go create my rythm riff what do I need to consider about those notes in order to create my progression?

|----------------------------------------------------
|-----------------------9-----10------9------10-------
|----8-7--5-7---8-7--8-7---8-7---8-7----8-7--
|0-0----0-----0------------------------------------
Last edited by rebel624 at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by rebel624
I have another question and thank you very much for the response. Say Im playing a lick like this just not particularly chords. When I go create my rythm riff what do I need to consider about those notes in order to create my progression?

|-----------------------9-----10------9------10-------
|----8-7--5-7---8-7--8-7---8-7---8-7----8-7--
|0-0----0-----0------------------------------------

You need to consider which scale these notes come from. Once that is done, you know what chords will work for the lick above for sure.
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
A power chord is just a root and 5th, so anytime you've got a chord that you want to reduce down just remove the 3rd.

This is why I always tell people not to bother specifically learning powerchirds, there's no point. Learn your chords, then just learn what a powerchord is and how to make one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by rebel624
I get so burnt out trying to play with chord progressions and this is why. If anyone can help me over this brick wall I will be a satisfied man. Ok if I want to created a minor progression of just arpegiated basic chords such as Am C G. Ok it sounds great, but me being a diehard Metallica fan of coarse I need to... I want to now turn my crunch on and play something dark heavy and metal.
First off, just because you're playing 'metal' does not mean you need a 'crunch.' Write with your creativity, not with the stereotypes a genre of music prescribes you to write.

Also, that's not a minor progression. Am isn't really established as the tonal center, which is what's needed for a progression in Am. Depending on how each chord is voiced, that progression could either be in C or G. It's very unlikely (but not impossible) for that song to be in Am.
Quote by rebel624
I'm lost I don't understand how powerchords work with regular chord shapes.
Contrary to popular belief, powerchords are NOT chords on their own. You cannot form a real chord progression with powerchords, as the parallel fifths cause the mind to only hear one note. There's as much tonality established in a 'powerchord progression' as there is in the same notes but without the fifth and octave.

To form a progression using powerchords you need to imply the progression, which means the main melody (whether sung or whatever) or the bass completes a full chord on stressed beats. There's more to it than that, like in a measure of music (think sheet music) a melody with an implied chord of D would move different than if the implied chord was Gm, but that's a bit out of the scope of one thread post.

My advice to you is this; stop trying to write music based on other music. Just because metallica does something and you think metallica are so cool does not mean you need to do that something. Write a simple melody for a singer or a lead guitar and accompany it with some simple powerchords (hopefully implying progressions) or a very simple riff.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
First off, just because you're playing 'metal' does not mean you need a 'crunch.' Write with your creativity, not with the stereotypes a genre of music prescribes you to write.

Also, that's not a minor progression. Am isn't really established as the tonal center, which is what's needed for a progression in Am. Depending on how each chord is voiced, that progression could either be in C or G. It's very unlikely (but not impossible) for that song to be in Am.
Contrary to popular belief, powerchords are NOT chords on their own. You cannot form a real chord progression with powerchords, as the parallel fifths cause the mind to only hear one note. There's as much tonality established in a 'powerchord progression' as there is in the same notes but without the fifth and octave.

To form a progression using powerchords you need to imply the progression, which means the main melody (whether sung or whatever) or the bass completes a full chord on stressed beats. There's more to it than that, like in a measure of music (think sheet music) a melody with an implied chord of D would move different than if the implied chord was Gm, but that's a bit out of the scope of one thread post.

My advice to you is this; stop trying to write music based on other music. Just because metallica does something and you think metallica are so cool does not mean you need to do that something. Write a simple melody for a singer or a lead guitar and accompany it with some simple powerchords (hopefully implying progressions) or a very simple riff.

Isn't that what you do? Write your music according to what you like? I guess I should just used metal as a example instead of Metallica. I was just trying to give an Idea on the genre of music that I'm trying to compose.