hey guys,
long time reader, first time poster here.
Basically i want to buy a new amplifier as the one i have now is beyound rubbish, its some 10W squier amp i got ages ago.
Budget-wise i have at most $600AU which in american dollars is about $420US i think?
Ive been told that the roland cube range is really good, and i can pay $429AU for the roland 30x amplifier from www.billyhydemusic.com.au, or can go $600AU for the roland cube 60.
But im not sure if thats the right amplifier for me..
I have a MiM Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, play a lot of Radiohead, Muse, Strokes, Blur, White Stripes and other music like that, mainly altern-rock.
Can you guys help me with what type of amp i should go for?
Thanks in advance
For your styles, you probably want a Vox Valvetronix.

Are you gigging at all or just for the bedroom?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Man you guys are quick!
Nah im not gigging at all (should have posted that! knew i forgot something!), i occasionally jam with mates though.
Maybe a peavey classic? that may get too loud though for your liking.

Any preference between solid state and tube?
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
I'm in New Zealand, so I'm awake at this hour. Most of the other regulars aren't, so this is my shift.

And I'm drinking, but even when drunk I can tell you that if all you need is something for the bedroom and occasional jams with mates, you should go with a Fender Champ 600, plus a USA Big Muff for White Stripes/Muse fuzz stuff (well, Matt Bellamy uses a Fuzz factory but you can't afford one) and a Boss SD-1 for Radiohead (Jonny Greenwood uses one).
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
k7apex- tbg i dont know the difference between solid state and tube.

shadow__666- who isnt drinking downunder right now man!
yeh i looked into fuzz factories but got nowhere near the money for them

thanks for the replies so far guys
i should add that along with the tele and amp i have a MI audio crunch box distortion pedal, if it helps
OK, let me give you the crash course in SS vs tube.

Solid state amps, like that Roland Cube you mentioned, use transistors to amplify their sound. Tube/valve (in Australia the terms are interchangable) amps use old style tubes to amplify. While tubes are out of use in most audio products today, they are still preferred in guitar amps for various reasons, one of them being that tube amps are generally believed to produce a sweeter tone.

99% of artists use tube amps both in studio and on stage. There are a few (Dimebag Darrell being the best example I got on my head right now) who use SS, but for the most part it's tube.

Jack White uses old and new silverface Fender Twin Reverbs, Jonny Greenwood and the guys from the Strokes (I'm not 100% on them) use Vox AC30s, I think Blur used a combination of AC30s and some Marshall Bluesbreakers and Matt Bellamy has used a lot of amps in his career which I can't track.

The Fender Champ I suggested earlier is a small tube amp that'has a very clean sound, it's great as a platform to build on with pedals and the like.
Quote by Cathbard
cheers mate for the awesome reply, still got some research to go it seems!
yeah tube amps seem to be the favoured amps for guys on here, its jsut that there are so many options, dunno where to start!
I notice you have a Crunch Box, that's a good start and if you like it, don't get the Cube or the Valvetronix. Both of them are SS modeling amps, which means they use digital processors to model different well known amp sounds. However, for some reason amps like this don't like pedals of any kind and don't sound good with them at all.

Can you wait and save a little more? The Vox AC4 is coming out soon, and that's almost as good as the Fender (I've played one).
Quote by Cathbard
yeah i love the cruch box, was a good buy.
ive read that SS amps dont like pedals on here i think..
how much more would i need to save up?
some SS don't like pedals. From experience i can tell you that you shouldnt stick pedals into a line 6 spider III. Another amp you should maybe look into is a Blackstar HT-5 combo or ministack. They should both be in about your price range and accept medals nicely. You can also crank them to get good natural distortion and breakup, but not kill your ears or neighbors.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Not all SS amps hate pedals, just modelers.

Allans Music has the 5w Champ at $370, that'll leave you money aside for an SD-1 for some 90s Radiohead tones and maybe even a Big Muff if you want.
Quote by Cathbard
Don't hate all Line6 products, just the solid state Spider amps. All their other stuff I've played has ranged from good (Spider Valve) to brilliant (DL4, FM4 stompboxes).
Quote by Cathbard
yeah thats what i meant bout line 6 sorry. didnt mean all their products would be bad.

would the 5W be powerful enough? i guess yeh for practising, but i mean i have a 10W now.. (then again, its a squier amp...)
I forgot to mention. While there is no real difference in volume (in decibels), whena tube amp and a solid state amp of the same wattage are played next to each other, the tube amp will always be considerably louder than the SS amp. It's something to do with the frequencies they produce...I don't know.

Point is, a 5w tube amp will be the equivalent of something like 15-20w SS watts, which is loud enough jo jam with friends unless you have Kevin Shields and Dave Grohl as friends. If so, please introduce me to them for I worship the ground they walk upon.
Quote by Cathbard
hahaha nice one

but if a 5W tube = 20W SS, wouldnt me spending $430AU on a 30W roland tube be more beneficial for me?

it may sound stupid to you, but to me it makes sense... lol
Everything I've given you is my opinion, ultimately it's your decision. I would honestly suggest you take your Crunch Box and guitar into the store, play the Cube and fiddle with all it's settings until you're heart is content, then go to your nearest Allans (if you're in Sydney I can tell you where to go) and do the same with the Vox Valvetronix and Fender Champ, although the Champ doesn't require much fiddling. Hell, if you can find a Peavey Vypyr along the way, give that a go too.

It's your ear 'for tone you're buying for, not mine.

I will tell you, though, that often volume (especially when it's about ss vs tube) =/= tone. Another rule is that tube amps generally sound their best when fully cranked, where as SS amps don't really like being cranked much.
Quote by Cathbard
And the Cube is solid state, not tube.
Quote by Cathbard
yeah i meant roland cube* my bad..
thanks a lot for your help, im gonna have to go out and test em all now.
I live in melbourne btw, but im sure ill find stores
again, thanks for all your help
No problem bro, just make sure you keep us up to date on the search.

And whatever you do, DO NOT BUY A SPIDER, MARSHALL MG, IBANEZ TONEBLASTER OR CRATE SS WHATEVER!!!! (Also avoid the Fender Frontman for the sanity of the rest of UG. I personally like them, but no one else does).
Quote by Cathbard
And if you're in Melbourne, check out Music Swop Shop in Carlton. They often have some kick arse deals on used stuff.
Quote by Cathbard
yep, from all the reading on here its pretty obvious what i need to avoid
My work is done. Time to get drunk...alone

Stupid crap fake IDs.
Quote by Cathbard
haha yeh, hard as to get a fake id, in melbourne anyways..
ull love it when u hit 18 though, i know i did
I am 18. But I lost my wallet. That had my drivers licence and student ID. My only other ID is my passport, and who the hell uses that as a form of ID to get pissed?

Cause it was going to take me two weeks to get a new licence and about as long to get a new ID, I managed to score a very bad fake one. I couldn't get into the bar with it.
Quote by Cathbard
Ok bit of an update
havent gone to a store yet (i know i should, effing uni's killin me)
what are your guys opinions on the Fender FM212 R Amplifier?
Can get it at billyhyde for $549AU
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=511

Or allansmusic for $599AU
http://www.allansmusic.com.au/Product.aspx?c=F4E52A19-95E3-431E-A6B8-E3E22E87EE1C&p=21869

Cheers

Edit: Oops just saw it was a Frontman, can someone advise me as to why this would be a bad purchase?
Last edited by rossco89 at Apr 1, 2009,
Yeah, I'm doing my usual time.

Honestly, I would recommend the Frontman for you, with a Big Muff.

The only reason that they're disliked on UG is because their gain channel is horrible.
Quote by Cathbard
alright sweet, im going in to billy hyde 2moro to try out a few and hopefully buy something!
should i bring my tele as well?
Yeah, do that.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by rossco89
hey guys,
long time reader, first time poster here.
Basically i want to buy a new amplifier as the one i have now is beyound rubbish, its some 10W squier amp i got ages ago.
Budget-wise i have at most $600AU which in american dollars is about $420US i think?
Ive been told that the roland cube range is really good, and i can pay $429AU for the roland 30x amplifier from www.billyhydemusic.com.au, or can go $600AU for the roland cube 60.
But im not sure if thats the right amplifier for me..
I have a MiM Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, play a lot of Radiohead, Muse, Strokes, Blur, White Stripes and other music like that, mainly altern-rock.
Can you guys help me with what type of amp i should go for?
Thanks in advance

Hey mate
I'm actually selling my Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, it would suit your style perfectly IMO. It's in very good condition, mainly just a bit of dust. I'm in Syd, hoping to get $300 for it. Anyways PM me if interested.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
it looks good mate, but i'm not sure i want a modelling amp as i still wanna use my pedal.
that, and i live in melbourne
Quote by shadow__666
OK, let me give you the crash course in SS vs tube.

Solid state amps, like that Roland Cube you mentioned, use transistors to amplify their sound. Tube/valve (in Australia the terms are interchangable) amps use old style tubes to amplify. While tubes are out of use in most audio products today, they are still preferred in guitar amps for various reasons, one of them being that tube amps are generally believed to produce a sweeter tone.

99% of artists use tube amps both in studio and on stage. There are a few (Dimebag Darrell being the best example I got on my head right now) who use SS, but for the most part it's tube.

Jack White uses old and new silverface Fender Twin Reverbs, Jonny Greenwood and the guys from the Strokes (I'm not 100% on them) use Vox AC30s, I think Blur used a combination of AC30s and some Marshall Bluesbreakers and Matt Bellamy has used a lot of amps in his career which I can't track.

The Fender Champ I suggested earlier is a small tube amp that'has a very clean sound, it's great as a platform to build on with pedals and the like.
the strokes use fender devilles not vox, dont just make assumptions like that
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA_D
RAD IO HEA D

Quote by I'mronburgundy?
in addition to all of that, you also win the thread.

Quote by metallica724
>:O littlejoy isnt a creep hes full of win unlike you
I learnt that later...and why are you bumping an old thread?
Quote by Cathbard