Hey dudes im reading this thing and im dyslexic and can't fully understand it could someone help me? it says I need to play the A minor Pentatonic and C Major scale in at least two shapes across two octaves. I know the complete A minor Pentatonic but what does the 'two octaves' mean? Do I just play it higher above the 12th fret for the second octave?

2. Then it says improvisation in a style of my choice for no longer than 1 minute. I can do that then underneath it says on a seperate bullet point 'Two contrasting rythem guitar parts (Rock, Funk, Raggae, Pop each lasting 16 bars.

Anyone explain this better? just confused..thanks alot!

Shogun
One octave means you start at the root note and go up the scale til you reach the next (2nd) root note
2 octaves means you play one octave and carry on up the scale til you reach the next (3rd) root note

The second part wants you to improv over 16 bars (measures) of rhythm guitar - it wants you to pick 2 styles out of rock/funk/reggae/pop and improv over each of them...

does that make more sense? I think I just repeated what they said originally :/
Quote by ShogunRonin
it says I need to play the A minor Pentatonic and C Major scale in at least two shapes across two octaves. I know the complete A minor Pentatonic but what does the 'two octaves' mean?

Play the first 5 notes, then you're at the same note you started on, then play the next 5 notes and they are the same notes but a different shape.

This is the first shape and octave starting with a root note of Low A on the Low E.
Notes: ACDEG.
E|----------------------
B|----------------------
G|----------------------
D|-----------5----------
A|------5-7-------------
E|-5-8------------------

This is the second shape and octave starting with a root note of Low A on the D.
E|----------------------
B|---------5-8----------
G|----5-7---------------
D|-7--------------------
A|----------------------
E|----------------------

Notes: ACDEG.

So Am pentatonic repeats itself after 5 notes. The major scale repeats itself after 7 notes so play the first 7 notes of Cmaj, and then the 8th will be the same as the root (C) and so then the root and the next 6 notes (which is 7) is the same 7 notes but in a different shape and octave. 1-7 would be the first octave of MajorScale (aka Ionian) and 8-14 would be the second octave and if there were any more strings and frets it would repeat again.
Last edited by tenfold at Mar 20, 2009,