...Head Phones or Studio Monitors?

a reply in a different forum lead me to this question...

are there any worthwhile monitors in the price range of the Sennheiser HD 600's? (300 bucks?) i'm thinking no..
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
Last edited by Three11Rules at Mar 20, 2009,
I don't believe you need an amp to power them...

I have the next model down, I can plug them into my iPod and they work beautifully...

Dragonforce? I don't even know what that is. Isn't it that Japanese card game "Dragon Force Z"?
Quote by Tranx
I don't believe you need an amp to power them...

I have the next model down, I can plug them into my iPod and they work beautifully...

apparently they say to get the true sound and quality you need an amp.
Quote by end_citizen
If you could give us a link to the exact amp you purchased it would be easier to answer your question.

ya sorry, wont have the info to that till i get back to my apt.

i think i'm going to change the topic title and question though...
Senn's are fantastic. I have the 280 pros and people routinely get ear raped by my headphones saying it was the best listening experience they've ever had.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by Three11Rules
apparently they say to get the true sound and quality you need an amp.

yes its more like this.. the output from an ipod (or zune or whatever... pmps in general) isnt enough to drive a full size headphone and certain mid to high end earphones properly. id suggest you browse www.head-fi.org/forums and you'll find your answers there. SEARCH first please. then if you have any more doubts, ask.
Quote by sesstreets
Senn's are fantastic. I have the 280 pros and people routinely get ear raped by my headphones saying it was the best listening experience they've ever had.

"sennheiser"? That's the same brand as mine; they are good - better than listening to music though a ghetto blaster etc. sometimes I put on records whilst whereing them, and hear stuff In it I've never heard before, it's quite cool -> really does make a difference to the overall experience of listening to an album.
Its because high quality headphones have hueg ass impendence loads. My set is 64u
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
wtf....this is obviously hands down to studio monitors....come on...
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Can't have noise canceling monitors lol. I mean you could just blast it but...
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
i love my sennheiser HD415s, best £30 i've ever spent

also for recording and mixing purposes you should use monitors not headphones stuff that sounds good through headphones when mixing can sound totally different through monitors
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
yes, I remember talking to someone who does sound engineering up at the college, he was showing me these monitor speaker things, they cost quite alot but ironically they're specifically designed to sound like cheap speakers, so you don't mix something in the studio and it sounds awsome, take it home and it sounds gash.
Quote by jimRH7
yes, I remember talking to someone who does sound engineering up at the college, he was showing me these monitor speaker things, they cost quite alot but ironically they're specifically designed to sound like cheap speakers, so you don't mix something in the studio and it sounds awsome, take it home and it sounds gash.

a lot of studios have several sets of speakers to flick between when mixing, even going as far as to have a mobile phone speaker set up sometimes now that mp3 player phones are becoming more popular
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by sesstreets
Can't have noise canceling monitors lol. I mean you could just blast it but...

True, but if you are doing any decent tracking, the tracking should be done in a separate room from the amp/drumkit/whatever
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
If you are mixing your own recordings you need monitors. If you just want to listen to music, buy headphones.

You can mix with headphones if you really want, but you need a really accurate sounding pair, otherwise you get really unbalanced mixes. Since most headphones don't have a flat frequency response, ie they have boosts and cuts in those frequencies which you will subconsciously compensate for when mixing. I heard a really good analogy a while ago - it's like painting something from memory with tinted glasses on, and finding all the colours are a bit weird when you take the glasses off.
I prefer studio monitors, but usually there is someone else in the room where I am doing whatever so I usually end up using headphones (Audio technica ATH-m40fs).
Fender Mexican Strat W/ Custom HSS Pickups
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony
Blackheart BH5H
Epiphone 1x12 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Crybaby Original Wah
EHX Big Muff
A/B Selector Pedal
HD600 are awesome, but they need a headphone amp to sound their best.

I used to be a huge audiophile. I was a member of headfi long ago "MrIriver"

But, I ended with a pair of ultimate ears in earphones, as they were portable, and sounded more detail than most of the huge headphones without the need of an amp, but at the cost of soundstage.

The HD650 with an awesome amp, will give you a huge soundstage, and HD600 will do the same to a lesser degree, but overall great phones.

With that said, what do you intend to use the headphones for?

If you really plan to listen to music, the senns are great for calmer laid back music, like classical and such. There is another really good brand called grado which is really musical and defined and sounds awesome with rock music. Their response is very quick and in your face, which makes them great for the more aggressive genres, but at a huge sacrifice once again in soundstage.

I honestly recommend you spend the $300 and get some top of the line in ear monitors. They are tiny, and sound about as good as their bigger brothers costing the same size. Once I got my Ultimate Ears IEMs, I stopped spending money on headphones cause I was happy with their sound (in spite of the smaller soundstage), and I can use them on the go.