Ive heard a bunch of flaming going on about Line 6 amps, one of which I have, are they really that bad? I have had some nasty tone problems with mine... Whats a good alternative?
Line 6 amps are not bad. The only bad amp line 6 makes is the Spider series. If that's what you have, a good alternative is usually the peavey vypyr.

If you're looking for a new amp to replace it, what genres do you play and what's your budget? And are you cool with going used?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Last edited by Robino_Ibanez at Mar 20, 2009,
Only the Spider series are bad - please make that clear in your mind.

Depends on genre, pricerange, whether you're willing to go used and what you're using it for - gigs, jamming or just practising.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
Line 6 amps are not bad. The only bad amp line 6 makes is the Spider series. If that's what you have, a good alternative is usually the peavey vypyr.

If you're looking for a new amp to replace it, what genres do you play and what's your budget? And are you cool with going used?

Yea I have Spider II... Ill look into the peavy. I play alot of metalcore.
Peavey Vpyr is a good alternative to the Line 6 Spiders, but seeing as you play metalcore, you're better off getting an amp that has good distortion/overdrive handling. look around.
Lets straighten things out...

It's not the fact that Line 6 Spider IIIs are bad amplifiers, its that you have these fanboys who make them out to be the best thing since sliced bread when in fact, their sole and single purpose is for them to be used as practice amps. That's what they're meant to be used for and what they were built for, but you've got kids who want to sound like their idols and so Line 6 cashes in on that. It's all about capitalism.

However, to take the side of the bashers, you can do better for the price. I've heard different things about the Peavey Vypyr: I've heard that it's the best alternative to the Spider III, but I've also heard that it's a product that's been hyped up to the max and is no where near as good as it's said to be. One practice amp I've never really heard anything bad about is the Roland Cube series. They have a nice sound and have a bunch of onboard effects.

However, as with all solid state amplifiers, the sound will always be much more compressed and digital than a classic valve-driven amplifier. But after all, you get tube amps when you want to gig: practice amps are inexpensive alternatives (inexpensive most of the time anyway...) to tube amps, which have to be cranked to high volumes to get awesome sounds. Practice amps can also be chucked around a bit and you don't have to worry about them because they're solid state.

tl;dr: practice amps are for practice only, if you want something better go for tubes.
Quote by kenan6346
Lets straighten things out...

It's not the fact that Line 6 Spider IIIs are bad amplifiers, its that you have these fanboys who make them out to be the best thing since sliced bread when in fact, their sole and single purpose is for them to be used as practice amps. That's what they're meant to be used for and what they were built for, but you've got kids who want to sound like their idols and so Line 6 cashes in on that. It's all about capitalism.

However, to take the side of the bashers, you can do better for the price. I've heard different things about the Peavey Vypyr: I've heard that it's the best alternative to the Spider III, but I've also heard that it's a product that's been hyped up to the max and is no where near as good as it's said to be. One practice amp I've never really heard anything bad about is the Roland Cube series. They have a nice sound and have a bunch of onboard effects.

However, as with all solid state amplifiers, the sound will always be much more compressed and digital than a classic valve-driven amplifier. But after all, you get tube amps when you want to gig: practice amps are inexpensive alternatives (inexpensive most of the time anyway...) to tube amps, which have to be cranked to high volumes to get awesome sounds. Practice amps can also be chucked around a bit and you don't have to worry about them because they're solid state.

tl;dr: practice amps are for practice only, if you want something better go for tubes.

while i see your point, i gotta add two things:
-the threadstarter need not spend more money on a better practice amp. the vypyr and cube, which are widely considered to beat the spider, are the same price. it'd be an easy swap.
-tubes aren't always better. there are good solid state amps that are not practice amps. he plays metalcore so a good solid state amp for high gain could work too.

TS, if you just wanna swap the spider for a better practice amp, go for a cube or vypyr.

If you have a little more money to spend, sell the spider and look into Bugera amps and used tube Peaveys.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by jaketerminate
Whats a good alternative?

At the same price point of the lower wattage models? Vypyr, Vox VT or Cubes.

Quote by kenan6346

to tube amps, which have to be cranked to high volumes to get awesome sounds.

No they don't. I'm so sick of this myth being regurgitated. The rest of your post was fine but I just want to voice my counter opinion. The sweet spot on one of my tube amps is between 3.5 and 5. Loud, but by no means cranked. At lower volumes they sound fine.

Quote by jaketerminate
Whats a good alternative?

To the higher wattage models? B-52, or used 5150's, used Ultra Plus, Ampeg VH140c's, Randall RG50tc's, H&K Edition Tube. It depends what is on your clist or gumtree sites, there are plenty of options.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 20, 2009,
Why would he sell a Spider and get a Vyper? The main argument against Spiders, IMO at least, is that they are modelers. The Spider is a fine practice amp, there's no reason to run out and buy a new amp unless your going to truly upgrade. Going from one modeler to another is a side-step. Either move up to tubes, or a nice Randall or Ampeg SS, or just wait until you have a better idea what you want, and more money. I'm sick of this idea that having an inferior amp is dangerous to your health. Use your amp to the best of your ability, as long as you still enjoy playing with it it's fine. One day you'll be dissatisfied with that tone, however if you aren't already don't listen to anyone here. Rushing into amp purchases lead to new amp purchases in 6 months.
Maybe put it up for trade on CL and see what happens, but don't run out and buy a new one without thinking.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Actually the main beef against Spiders is that they're CHEAP modelers. The Flextone's a modeler, and they're regarded much higher because they're constructed better. You can crank them without it sounding like digital fuzz, and they don't have the reliability issues reported with Spiders.

Judging Line 6 on the whole for Spiders is like judging Marshall on the MGs, or any companies for their entry level bottom line gear.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by tubetime86
Why would he sell a Spider and get a Vyper? The main argument against Spiders, IMO at least, is that they are modelers. The Spider is a fine practice amp, there's no reason to run out and buy a new amp unless your going to truly upgrade. Going from one modeler to another is a side-step. Either move up to tubes, or a nice Randall or Ampeg SS, or just wait until you have a better idea what you want, and more money.
The main argument against spiders is that they're BAD modellers. There are tons of good modelling amps out there
The spider and vypyr (or cube, w/e) are about the same price. General consensus is that the vypyr and cube are better, and the TS doesn't like his spider. Why not just trade it in for a vypyr, or sell it and get a vypyr with the money made from that?

Quote by tubetime86
Use your amp to the best of your ability, as long as you still enjoy playing with it it's fine. One day you'll be dissatisfied with that tone, however if you aren't already don't listen to anyone here.

He clearly said in his first post that he is dissatisfied and getting nasty tone problems with his spider.
Not to steal the thread or anything, but how are those Line 6/Bogner amps? Anyone tried those out?

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

^ I agree, I think they're terrible. But from the way the post reads and the title "IF Line 6's are so bad..." the TS isn't completley dissatisfied, he's wondering if he should be. Which is very common here, people come on here and realize their amp is poorly reviewed, so they start complaining. Also I told him to look into a trade. If he can do an even swap, awesome. But if getting a new amp would require him spend another 2 or 3 hundred bucks, when he's just gonna want a 4-5 hundred dollar amp in 6 months, thats pointless.

I'm not saying Spiders aren't as bad as people say, they are. I'm saying when learning guitar, tone comes last. I played guitar for 3 years with just an acoustic, then for 5 years with a MG30DFX and $150 Ibanez Gio and have just now started to care about tone. My playing is better for it, as are my finances.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^ yeah that i agree with. just if he can make the swap he might as well.
most people are saying vyper. i must admit i tried this amp and i thought it was pretty poor. but i did not compare it to the spider so i dont know, i compared to valveking, which sounded much better.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!