Howdy,

So I'm planning on buying myself another guitar, and I found both these models at my price range:

Second hand Gibson Studio Les Paul, bought in may 2008:

Comes with a hard-shell Gibson case.

Brand spankin' new PRS SE Custom 24 frets:

Both of them are about the same price.

I would like some opinions about both guitars reliability, build quality, personal experience with them, general opinion and what not.
In addition, I play pretty much all over the music spectrum, from jazz and blues to stoner metal.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Last edited by dead-fish at Mar 20, 2009,
I would personally go with the PRS, although they are both great guitars.
Studio. Better range of sounds and will keep its value.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I don't know about the LP keeping its value, being 3rd hand if I sell it, but it's not a factor anyway.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
I've played a similar PRS (same finish) and I absolutely loved the thing, but ultimately, it's up to you. Find a place where you can try them out see if they're worth it.
Quote by Lurcher
Studio ...and will keep its value.

This.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by dead-fish
I don't know about the LP keeping its value, being 3rd hand if I sell it, but it's not a factor anyway.

I doubt that's a problem with gibson guitars, and if you ever sell it, just say you're the original owner.
Fair enough, but I'm not buying a guitar so that I could later sell it, and seeing as I managed to sell someone a Squire strat, I'm confident that I could always find some poor sap and convince him that he should give me money for a banged up board with strings.

As I said, not a factor.

Deadit: I keep hearing how Gibby's quality control isn't as good as PRS', and how the Studio series tends to be quite faulty.
Last edited by dead-fish at Mar 20, 2009,
PRS! Hands down. Completely versatile... just look at Opeth! They play great too.
GEAR:
SCHECTER LOOMIS FR
LTD EC-1000
LTD DV-200
i have a studio and i quite enjoy it. although it fits me and i love the more mellow sound and heavierness i get from it. if you like more trebly, or want range of sounds, i know the prs custom 24 or 22 can do this, i dont know about the SEs though.
Wait a min... I didn't notice that it was an SE. Isn't that the cheaper versions of the PRS line? I would definitly go with the Gibson if that it is just their low end stuff...
GEAR:
SCHECTER LOOMIS FR
LTD EC-1000
LTD DV-200
he was talking about in his price range, dude. don't knock it simply because of the name. some low-ends can turn out to be great guitars.
For the record, the Studio isn't exactly a high-end Gibson...
It's still dependable, though. Just not as flashy as all the rest. Like I said, find some place to try them both out.
You'd say that as far as reliability, build, and quality control both guitars are about the same level?
I think what he's saying is that you should go for the Les Paul if you're not retarded.

If...

Seriously though deady, that LP is sek-to the-say. I've never played any PRS though so I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between them. For stoner metal and blues I think the LP would be sweeter.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by dead-fish
Fair enough, but I'm not buying a guitar so that I could later sell it, and seeing as I managed to sell someone a Squire strat, I'm confident that I could always find some poor sap and convince him that he should give me money for a banged up board with strings.

As I said, not a factor.

Deadit: I keep hearing how Gibby's quality control isn't as good as PRS', and how the Studio series tends to be quite faulty.

Maybe compared to American PRS but not imports
Excuse my shameful bump, but I was recently told that apparently, Gibson has 'good' and 'bad' years.

Is there any website/document/talking mirror that I can consult with about this?
Epiphone Customs are better than Gibson Studios.

Why buy an overpriced guitar that has a brand name on it rather than an awesome guitar with 24 frets and tremelo?
Quote by dead-fish
Is there any website/document/talking mirror that I can consult with about this?

Guy: "Mirror, mirror on the wall: which is the best of them all?"

Mirror: "Ask again later..."

Guy: "God-damnit"
Quote by MetaMegaMagic

Why buy an overpriced guitar that has a brand name on it rather than an awesome guitar with 24 frets and tremelo?

Spare me the militant claims.

I am well aware of Gibson's current reputation, just as I am aware of the reportedly occuring slip-ups of the entire SE series. Hence why I created this thread, otherwise I would have saved us all the trouble...
Quote by MetaMegaMagic

You sir, are an idiot.

To TS:

LP studio all the way. The studio is a higher quality guitar and it sound much better. The SE custom is still the 400$ SE with a flame top and zebra pups.

Oh, and about Gibson's QC? Play as many studios as you can and I am positive that you will find one that you love. An inconsistent QC doesn't mean that all Gibsons are bad, it's just that they have more lemons. A good studio is a better guitar than a good SE custom and a mediocre studio is equal to a good SE custom.
Last edited by Mike! at Mar 22, 2009,
I must protest that I am extremely worried about the dreaded Gibson neck-go-snap syndrome on mahogany necks.
Care to shed some light on that?
All the PRS SE's I've played were totally uninspiring, especially in regard to the pickups. I'd go with the LP Studio.
The Les Paul Studio is a cheap version of the Standard and this one is used. Personally, i wouldn't buy a used instrument. PRS guitars are unique my friend, 24 frets - ebony whats not to love, but that's only me!
since both the gibson studio and the prs se lines are known for having some issues with quality control, you have to try them out. im not saying go try out a few of each, im saying you have to try the exact one you are thinking of buying. i like the way my prs se feels and sounds, but ive played some that felt horrible and i couldnt stand. ive played gibbys that felt very nice, and then ive played a couple that had dead spots and other poor qualities. maybe with a good setup the guitars would feel better, but they shouldnt have been as bad as they were (in either model).

so basicly the question isnt which model is going to be better more times out of ten, but which of the exact two guitars is the better guitar? and if both are duds, then look for something else instead of getting one of those.
I would play the both and see what you think. That way you can see which you prefer and make sure they are both well setup and in decent condition. A guitar can seem really good until you play it and then it just hasn't got what you are looking for.

My PRS SE Singlecut is for me a guitar I just pickup and enjoy playing. It has a fast smooth playing action and sounds good to. Just choose the right guitar for you.
I can only speak for the PRS SE. I own one and it has become my guitar of choice for everyday playing. The guitar is very nice for its price. The neck is smooth, action is good, and fret access is great. The pickups are pretty good for a guitar this cheap and rolling off the tone and volume can produce a wide range of sounds. The guitar stays in tune well to have non-locking machine heads. I think it is a great guitar for clean and lo-med gain stuff. Not exactly a metal axe IMO. I have played it at gigs a few times and often take it as a backup. Holds up really well. I have heard that the SE's can be hit and miss too though.
I'd say PRS. I love them, but also, you can try out a brand-new/great condition PRS in a store, but you can't try out that used Gibson. But if you can, side by side comparison is the best.
I like fret access though and edony fretboards, so I'd take the PRS
I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio like the one in your picture, but with chrome hardware. I love it. I've played several Standards since purchasing it that couldn't touch it. Of course, I've played several Studios that were rather unpleasant in comparison, too. Long story short: try the Studio if you can. The pickups can be a little muddy, but I've found it to be a really great guitar for the money, and much better than that particular PRS. Again, it depends on the specific quality of both guitars, but my money is on the Gibson.