I have a slight problem.
At the moment, I do not own any decent mics so I record through my computer's (iMac) built-in input. Although this does give me relatively good quality in my recordings, I rely on Garageband on the effects, which I'm not happy about (they're not horrible, in fact, there are some really good options, but I'd much rather use my own pedals).
Here's the problem: when I plug my guitar into my distortion pedal and that into my computer, it cuts off the sound that goes in. It distorts the tone when I have the pedal turned on and it cuts off the signal.

Screenshots:
On clean, the audio is louder , is not cut off and does not get distorted
When I have the pedal turned on, the audio is a lot quieter, the signal gets cut off and the sound gets extremely distorted and crackles(it sounds similar to if you have two distortion pedals and your amp's overdrive all turned on at once).

Is there any way I can solve this?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
turn down your guitar's volume knob or turn down the mic input volume on your recording software
Gear:
My Voice
PRS Tremonti II
PRS Hollowbody II w/ Piezo Blue Matteo
PRS 513 25th anniversary
PRS Tremonti SE
Fender John Mayer Relic strat "the black one"

did i mention i like PRS?

20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva
Record off a practice amp or one of the many interface units
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by AE25RR
turn down your guitar's volume knob or turn down the mic input volume on your recording software

Nope, doesn't help. No matter what volume my guitar, pedal, or recording are at, it always cuts the signal and distorts the sound.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Keep the pedal clean and use the built in amp simultaion. They sound quite good, imo.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II