hey all, I've just had a thought, and I think its a cool idea, if it can be executed right.

Basically, I'm putting myself a fancy new strat together, and I've run into a problem. I HATE the look of hardtail bridges, but I don't really ever use a trem system. A TOM would be way too much trouble to deal with to put onto the strat.

I've come to the conclusion that I could either just block the trem with a tremol-no or whatever, OR, try this.

The top is obviously a standard route for a trem. and the botom is just enough wood routed out for the bottom of the trem piece. Obviously that cavity would be made tighter so it can't wiggle around, but I was just wondering, do you guys think this would work?

This way, it at least saves the tone from routing out all that wood without the need for it, and I think it's pretty unique.

Oh yeah, its a 2-point trem, if that matters. and I've already bought it, so I'm just thinking outloud here.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

What's going to hold it in place? I mean the string tension would somewhat hold it, but... It just doesn't seem right to me for some reason. 1. The bridge needs to be fixed to the body somehow and it looks like it isn't obviously, and 2. If the bridge wasn't "fixed" it would screw with your intonation and tuning stability...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea.
^
Yeah, basically the only thing doing it would be string tension combined with the two posts, that would hold it.

But if a string broke, it would probably mess around with it. I'm probably going to have to end up routing the thing anyways, I was just wondering what other people thought.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Do you have any pics of the whole guitar? Just curious.

Anyway, just blocking it would do the same as the thing you demonstrated in the pictures. Another thing you could use would be to just put the full set of springs on there and leave it, then if you want the trem later on, it's there
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310

Anyway, just blocking it would do the same as the thing you demonstrated in the pictures. Another thing you could use would be to just put the full set of springs on there and leave it, then if you want the trem later on, it's there

This is your best bet really...

Plus I love your avatar!
Quote by bv310

Sorry, I don't have any pictures yet. Its still in rough, really. I'm redesigning the body, which is why I took all that into consideration.

So what you're suggesting is to just put all 5 springs on, just like a regular trem? (just making sure I read that right)
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

you wont need five, but yea. 3-4 will do if you have it tightened up decently.