Poll: Which canidate should we choose?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which canidate should we choose?
Canidate #1 (Singer)
17 85%
Canidate #2 (Rapper)
3 15%
Voters: 20.
So our singer is going to be out of commision for four months due to surgery and healing time, so we were looking for a part time singer to do some covers with, practise originals and any small gigs if they come up.

We've narrowed it down to two different singers; each with their advantages and disadvantages. And of course, as a band, we're split 50/50 on who we want, so we've mutually decided to let UG decide.

So here are our canidates:

1) Male singer, likes to sing metalcore, hardcore. A near perfect match for us, since we're a hardcore/alternative band; the only problem being that we'd prefer a female singer, because we've got used to female singing, and this singer also wants us to do some acoustic songs. (Me and the other guitarist like this singer, for obvious reasons, but the bassist and drummer aren't feeling him too well, lol)

2) Male....uh, rapper. Our classified had stressed SINGER, but when he showed up, we figured what the hell. The good things? He can rap our metalcore and hardcore songs with relative ease. The bad thing: He's not a fan of guitar solos and prefers the drummer and bassist do solos. (Ergo, me and the other guitarist aren't so hot for him)

So UG, help us decide. Poll up soon.
Your goal is to have someone fill the gap until your regular singer comes back? She's not having surgery on her vocal cords, is she?

I think #1 is going to provide you with the greatest short-term stability, and allow you to continue with your established direction in the long run when your singer gets back. Sounds like he's what you need.

As far as #2 goes... it might be fun to try something like that, and might be worth considering if the band was looking for a *new* singer and might be interested in a bit of a change of direction, but in your case, that's not what this sounds like.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Your goal is to have someone fill the gap until your regular singer comes back? She's not having surgery on her vocal cords, is she?

I think #1 is going to provide you with the greatest short-term stability, and allow you to continue with your established direction in the long run when your singer gets back. Sounds like he's what you need.

As far as #2 goes... it might be fun to try something like that, and might be worth considering if the band was looking for a *new* singer and might be interested in a bit of a change of direction, but in your case, that's not what this sounds like.

CT

Yeah, she is.
She has a beign cancerous tumour on her cords. The doctor told her is was up to her if she wanted it out, and she asked us what we thought, and we told her that we'd support her either way, so shes getting it removed.
In the mean time, I think we'll go with #1 for now. We're actually thinking of having an acoustic show with all proceeds going towards cancer research.
If you're happy with the direction your band is headed in, then go with option 1. I think it'd be more interesting to change the band dynamic though. Musically.

And, even if it all goes horribly wrong, then its only for a few months. And if you like it... then that's cool too!

( Ps -Remember, the temp singer should get the LEAST say in the arrangement of the songs. It shouldnt be up to him who solos and who doesnt.)

Edit - That's a good idea with the cancer research benefit. Hope it all goes well.
Last edited by Gargan at Mar 20, 2009,
The way you mention gigs in an offhand manner tells me that you aren't exactly planning anything until the original singer is back.

Why don't you take this time to work on instrumentation for new songs?
Number 1. It's only a temporary position and you're gonna want him to fit in with your band as quickly as possible. Of the two, he'll be the quickest.
Like the others said, since it's only a temporary replacement and you like the way he sings, go with number one. The second guy would be good if you want a permanent change in musical style, but in your case, being temporary, I'd go with Candidate #1.
Both, you could have a awesome time.
Last edited by eaton1012 at Mar 20, 2009,
#1 FTW!!!!!!!!
Yea, with him you will grow a fanbase, then continue to have it after. With #2 you'll will get different people, then they will start to hate on you afterwards. #1 For Sure.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.