Just curious... I'm trying to learn "Rivers of Babylon"... the Sublime version. It's the first song I've really made any headway in. However, I see that it's meant to be played with a capo.

Also, is it a bad idea to have a first song use a capo?
No, its not a bad idea to have the first song you learn to use a capo, as long as your understanding what the capo is doing.

However, you can still play all those songs with capos, without, you just have to move the tabs around, relative to the bridge.
Personally I find it's easy to play up the neck when using a capo. Open chords are a lot easier

So from a beginner's perspective it might be an okay idea to learn songs without capo to an extent, for building your finger strength... But all in all it just changes the key, and you will not be able to play a long with the song etc.
I think thats part of it... I'm still shaky on music theory in general. If a capo is on the first fret, it's basically just raising all open strings a half step, right... so an open E is actually an F, etc.

Is that the long and short of it?
Quote by msarro
I think thats part of it... I'm still shaky on music theory in general. If a capo is on the first fret, it's basically just raising all open strings a half step, right... so an open E is actually an F, etc.

Is that the long and short of it?

Exactly, you're just changing the key... Simple as that :P