the modes arent posted

he talks about how they are based on the major scale, i KNEW that, but what i need is the whole/half combo like how the major scale is whole whole half whole whole whole half
Last edited by RolandDeschains at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by rorywal
figure it out?? do u know the numerical version for the modes?

nay, which is why i was hoping someone here could jus be like "oh, phyrgian (sp?) is just whol hals whole whole half whole" or something
erm i can do numerical:

Major: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
Natural Minor: 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7
Dorian: 1,2,b3,4,5,6,b7
Phrygian: 1,b2,b3,4,5,b6,b7
Lydian: 1,2,3,#4,5,6,7
Mixolydian: 1,2,3,4,5,6,b7
Locrian: 1,b2,b3,4,b5,b6,b7
Harmonic Minor: 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,7
Melodic Minor: 1,2,b3,4,5,6,7

You should be able to work the tones from that, just use your guitar to help you
If you can't figure it out on your own, you probably lack the requisite knowledge to properly apply them. Both the theory sticky in the MT forum and the crusade articles in the columns section cover introductory music theory. Read them.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
if you know the major scale you can figure them out for yourself...

C major/Ionian = wwhwwwh
D dorian = whwwwhw
E phrygian = hwwwhw
F lydian = wwwhwwh
G mixolydian = wwhwwhw
A aeloian = whwwhww
B locrian = hwwhwww

you should be able to see a pattern here, you're just moving the first step to the back of the scale. edit: i wasn't going to say it, but someone else just did so i might as well also. if you couldn't figure these patterns out by yourself, you probably dont know enough theory to properly use modes.

the whole/half step pattern won't make modal music though

if you think you're playing E phrygian because you're playing the phrygian pattern at the 12th fret, you're probably not. You're more likely playing the 12th position of A minor/C major.
Last edited by SpeedLives at Mar 20, 2009,
To be honest, if you need to know it in terms of WH etc, then you probably won't be in any position to properly apply the knowledge, and it'll just be wasted time. Spend that time getting familiar with how to move things around the fretboard, chord formation, etc, and you'll see much bigger gains.