I've always tuned via online tuners, it seemed to work fine but as my ear has improved my standards of being in tune are much higher, I mean I won't play it if it's not perfectly in tune, FYI my doc suspects I have a form of OCD

Perfectionism, etc..

so it irritates me like crazy to play out of tune. When I finally do get in tune it seems my guitar just goes out of tune. Not drastically, but my guitar isn't the best quality it seems, so I can't remotely get away with being a touch out

Some facts:

I've noticed alongside the fretboard the wood has very slightly been scratched or very slightly split on the surface in two parallel lines, on the right of the body right of the fretboard, above the sound hole. Don't know if that means anything

My guitar =

http://www.musicalworld.co.uk/product_Tanglewood_TFA_VS_Grand_Auditorium_Guitar.html

one other thing

What's the general thing to use to clean your guitar of dust or grubby marks.. Also I don't have a hard case for my guitar.. I store it just at the end of my bed, and I try to keep it out of the window light so it's just room temperature. Thats fine right? Just wondering if I've done anything wrong and my guitar has somehow suffered..
Accidents waiting to happen
Last edited by Easy-Lucky-Free at Mar 20, 2009,
How often do you play and how long have you had those strings on the guitar?

It could be the strings.
When is the last time you cleaned/oiled your fretboard? Could be loose... might want to take it to a repair shop to get it diagnosed.
I play every day pretty much. Some times havn't played becase I can't get the thing in tune. Maybe to do with my stress levels being reasonably high lately! :P

I've performed no maintainance on it and have had the guitar and the same strings for around 5-6 months. My top E string sounds like something from a toy guitar, but it always has sadly, Guess I'll take it to the shop... sometimes I do get quite 'into it' and play rather hard/loud as I'm working on something pretty angry sounding. Maybe that's part of it
Quote by Easy-Lucky-Free
I play every day pretty much. Some times havn't played becase I can't get the thing in tune. Maybe to do with my stress levels being reasonably high lately! :P

I've performed no maintainance on it and have had the guitar and the same strings for around 5-6 months. My top E string sounds like something from a toy guitar, but it always has sadly, Guess I'll take it to the shop... sometimes I do get quite 'into it' and play rather hard/loud as I'm working on something pretty angry sounding. Maybe that's part of it

So you have beat the ****e out of your strings for 6 months and you are wondering why it is not in tune?

As has been said...strings. Buy two sets. Even better, buy a set of Elixir Nanowebs...will cost twice as much but last 5 times longer and don't squeak as much.
String change is probably the way to go. Also, if your standards for tuning are higher than get a tuner. Unless you have a highly trained ear, you won't be able to tune as well as a tuner.

As for wiping off dust and finger prints, you can go to a guitar store and buy a microfibre cloth. It works well.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Not sure I've played it enough to need new strings. I have recently been able to tune it to a decent standard. I kind of don't want to spend more on this guitar as I'm not entirely happy with it. I think I'd rather explore my music more so I can find what sound I want and sell this on and go about trying something in the 300 pound range. This is just a solid top. I really want something better quality I don't think it's just the strings.

I think my innability to tune it was sleep depravation and stress! Still, I've learned a few things. Thankyou
Quote by Easy-Lucky-Free

I've noticed alongside the fretboard the wood has very slightly been scratched or very slightly split on the surface in two parallel lines, on the right of the body right of the fretboard, above the sound hole. Don't know if that means anything

What you describe here sounds like the guitar might have been dinged slightly and then the humidity got to it and caused a crack. It happens pretty frequently. If it's parallel with the grain (which it sounds to be) it shouldn't be an issue.

Quote by Easy-Lucky-Free
What's the general thing to use to clean your guitar of dust or grubby marks.. Also I don't have a hard case for my guitar.. I store it just at the end of my bed, and I try to keep it out of the window light so it's just room temperature. Thats fine right? Just wondering if I've done anything wrong and my guitar has somehow suffered..

To clean, I use some breath fog and an old sock. A very slightly moistened cloth will do the job too.

In terms of the way you store it, cases are always helpful for preventing dings and cracks (and also regulating the environment), but are not essential. If you suspect that your room gets really dry during the winter, a case and humidifier might be in order. Look at the humidity thread if you're unsure.

But as for staying in tune, cracks and scratches wont cause issues. It sounds like your tuning pegs might be slipping a bit or your strings are toasted (replace them and see if it persists). Inexpensive instruments often have notoriously bad hardware which can make tuning a hassle. Do the pegs turn really easily when you tune up?
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Mar 26, 2009,
yeh sometimes they do and I notice there is some slack in them, like to turn them slightly sometimes is very hard. Is that showing signs of failiure? :P

As for humidty no idea. For my next guitar I'll certainly be getting a case though. Say some pegs will be quite tight to turn others will 'slip' quite easily upon touch. Something does seem 'up'. Would this be typical of my quality of guitar? It was £165. Was hoping for a good solid beginner guitar. Tbh it's not done too badly. I've given it a few knocks due to lack of case and stand.
Quote by Easy-Lucky-Free
yeh sometimes they do and I notice there is some slack in them, like to turn them slightly sometimes is very hard. Is that showing signs of failiure? :P

Either that or more likely it just came with junky hardware to begin with. If it doesn't get better with new strings (which are very cheap, so it isn't a big investment even for a cheap guitar) you may just have to live with it until you upgrade.
First string change. If you're still not satisfied, replace the tuners, and if you're still not satisfied, replace the nut.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
danke. erm. While I have you here I might aswell go for a stab at it can anyone refer me to any sort of Hohner / Lee Oscar harmonica debate? I'm sure there must be one here somewhere. Not sure if I should start a new thread. I've been playing 8 months now and want to just get a feel for the harmonica and perhaps add a little ontop with audacity see what I come up with and eventually play both together. Don't spose anyone can refer me to a good retailer or refer me to a port of call for an answer to which is the more suitar for folk/acoustic work, the Lee Oscar major or the Hohner special 20.

Thanks in advance

Edit : thinking I may post a new thread :P
Last edited by Easy-Lucky-Free at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by Easy-Lucky-Free

I've performed no maintainance on it and have had the guitar and the same strings for around 5-6 months. My top E string sounds like something from a toy guitar, but it always has sadly....

Get new strings. For acoustic, I recommend (and personally use) Elixir NanoWebs.

They last quite a while and feel AND SOUND great.

As for WHAT to clean your fretboard with, just head down to your local guitar shop and im dead certain that they will have some fretboard conditioner. You apply it between string changes. Also, there is also string cleaner to wipe your strings down with if there is some minor dirt on them (usually your high strings (G, B, E). In your case, this isn't going to help much lol.
Get up and free yourself from yourself.
- TOOL -

GEAR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (silverburst)
Ibanez SZ720FM
Alvarez AD60CK
Crate FW65 Combo
Dunlop GCB95 CryBaby Wah
BOSS TU-2
BOSS DD-7
BOSS NS-2