i just bought a humbucker and am wondering if i need to change all the pots or just the volume to 500k. right now they are 250k, also can i use all audio taper pots or do the tone have to be linear taper whats the difference?
Yes, you should change the pots to 500k. The rating has to do with how the electrical signal passes through the pots. 500k is a darker sound compared to 250k, and comes standard on most les pauls, etc. 250k pots are brighter, and come standard on single coil strats. As a general rule of thumb, 500k are for humbuckers, and 250k are for strats, although you could always experiment. You also want audio taper pots. I don't really have the space to explain it well to you, but just know that when you turn an audio taper up halfway, you will notice a doubling of volume. When you turn a linear pot up 2/10 of the way, you will notice the volume doubling, and then not much of a change the rest of the way up. It has to do with how your ears hear sound. They don't hear linearly, they hear exponentially. You might want to look on another site for more clarification if your interested, but this should provide you enough guidance to at least know where to start.
^+1 except one thing: 250k is darker, 500k is brighter, 250k is used to tame the brightness of single coils, while 500k is used to brighten up dark sounding humbuckers. but any value will work. hell, i know a guy with 1M (1000k) pots for single coils!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
^+1 except one thing: 250k is darker, 500k is brighter, 250k is used to tame the brightness of single coils, while 500k is used to brighten up dark sounding humbuckers. but any value will work. hell, i know a guy with 1M (1000k) pots for single coils!

yeah people use 1000k for all pickups. They are the brightest and have more presence.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
1M is not the brightest you can get...there are higher values...but on a guitar, its definately the highest practical value.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
thanks for your help i really appreciate it
also i dont know if it matter but im wiring up a hum in the bridge and two single coils
Last edited by xbipolargodx at Mar 20, 2009,
thats what were here for!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by xbipolargodx
thanks for your help i really appreciate it
also i dont know if it matter but im wiring up a hum in the bridge and two single coils

well i dont think it does because single coils and humbuckers sound good with either 500K and 1000K. I think i've seen like an 800K or 600K before for a nice balance of both sounds. maybe volume should be 1000 and everything else 500? i dont know how that works actually.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
yeah, tone is usually lower value or the same as the volume.

single coil volume:250k
bucker volume:500k
all tone:250k

is what i usually see in those set ups.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking