Page 1 of 4
The Kit comes from www.diyguitarshop.com and it's their mahogany body kit not the basswood one. It features all the stuff you would expect on an LP style guitar except the neck is maple instead of mahogany.

The kit came today and I'm going to try and get it built this week along with a tele and a strat style guitar which I will also be making threads for. As soon as I can find my camera I'll get some pictures and start giving a general review of the quality. Expect more tonight.
Not taking any online orders.
that kit actually looks very solid considering the price. especially compared to the similarly priced saga kits...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
what s your overall impression so far?

and is it getting rock monkey pickups?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
So I just types up a big long review with pics and then my computer locked up and I lost it so I'm going to post this in bits just so it doesn't happen again.

Quote by rancidryan
what s your overall impression so far?

and is it getting rock monkey pickups?

Quality of the neck and body are both good. They are not warmoth by any stretch but they are as good or better than what I've seen on many Epi and low end gibson guitars. The thing that really makes this kit stand out is the set neck. How many kits do you see with set neck? I'll give more detailed opinions on quality as I build the guitar.

and yes, it will be getting rock monkey pickups.

Here is a pic of the body and neck right out of the box.

You can see straight away that the routing isn't neat and tidy but it's nothing that is going to show or change the tone so that is nitpicking. The flamed top is just a veneer that appears to cover a carved poplar top. I believe poplar makes a better top than maple on LP's so I see it as a good thing, but many people will see it as a bad thing. The mahogany back is 3pc but the grain was lined up very well so it doesn't jump out at you.

Here it is from the back. Look inside the control cavity and you can see the bluegreen streaks that make me think the top is actually poplar.

Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 20, 2009,
Right out of the box the neck did need some work to get the neck joint perfect. He does mention on his website that you will have to line the neck up yourself so I actually expected it to be much worse than it was. I only had to spend 5min with a chisel and file in order to get it right and many companies would simply have glued it as is simply because it was so close.

This is what it looked like. The gap is very very small and I have seen worse on high end gibson guitars.

and from the other side

because I'm using shellac as a finish, it's easier to finish the guitar before gluing the neck so I've already sanded and started dying the body. I like guitars that look old so rather than a traditional burst, I'm going to use uneven fading so areas that would rub against the player will be lighter than areas that wouldn't.

Here I'm rubbing the dye into the wood

Here is what the top looked like after I finished dying it. I also gave it 1 sealing coat of shellac and when that dries I'll dye the back and sides.
Looks awesome so far. The finish you've done looks great.

I look forward to seeing how it all works out, I've often looked at putting one of these kits together myself.
Yeah that's a good looking fade.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
I like the shellac look. How hard is it to work with?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
dammit, nice!

also, i see a little figure on the mahogany back...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
That looks pretty cool. Something unique, and different from a traditional burst. Very cool
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
Kyle: Your diarrhea is blue - green?

Chirs: Very nice guitar, I like the stain very much, I see the mahogany has a figure - i hear thats pretty rare
....Is that a glue-on neck...seriously? I shuffled out the same price for a ****ty saga kit and I coulda got this...

I'm totally getting one, where's how to do a sunburst, I'm getting me a damn desert burst.

Edit:..how much would it cost in american dollars? anybody?

Also sorry for posting without commenting haha, It looks really good dude, just the way it's done looks better then any LP i've seen,
Last edited by SGlover69 at Mar 21, 2009,
About $225^
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
For a Kit this dose look good and YES FINALLY ITS NOT A SAGA.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
their lefty kits are basswood
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
It's beautiful man, brings a tear to my eye....

...*sniff*...

Will you give it gold hardware?
Last edited by jimRH7 at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by bv310
I like the shellac look. How hard is it to work with?

Shellac is very cheap an easy for the beginner but to master the ability to do a good shellac finish is very difficult. I don't like glossy finishes which makes and the matt finishes from shellac are about the easiest finishes in the world.

Quote by LP Addict
ive seen maple with diarrhea streaks like that. this is looking good my friend.

I've seen maple with the streaks like that too but seing it in person it looks just like poplar. It could be maple, either way I'm happy but I'd prefer poplar. I guess I know for sure when I get the whole thing together and actually play it.

Quote by GoldChocobo
Wow it looks suprisingly of decent quality. Does it include any hardware?

It does with hardware and it isn't bad but it also isn't great. The bridge, tuners and jack are die cast so they don't have the expensive look that machined parts do but they all do their job well enough so you can always replace them slowly as you get money or you could just use them. I'm opting to use the bridge and jacks but replace the tuners because I've got several hundred sets of schaller M6 tuners on my shelf. Al the plastic hardware like mounting rings and what not look good. Colouring is what it should be and they are thick and sturdy.

The electronics are all pretty bottom end

The switch is your typical cheap switch, pots are chines mini pots, and pickup are underwound with ceramic magnets. When you keep in mind that the whole kit costs the same amount as a set of my humbuckers you can't expect the electronics to compeat and with people today ripping out all the electronics all the time anyway, it makes since to go cheap here in order to keep the overall price of the kit's low. The guy that runs DIY guitars tells me that he is working on electronics upgrade kits to go with his guitar kits.

Quote by hans the lefty
their lefty kits are basswood

He has had lefty mahogany, ash, and alder guitars in the past and he is constantly getting new stock so if you are after a lefty instrument send him an email and see what he has coming in.

Quote by jimRH7
It's beautiful man, brings a tear to my eye....

...*sniff*...

Will you give it gold hardware?

Nope. This guitar is going to be a demo guitar for my pickups as a travel to music shops and guitar shows so I'm doing everything as cheaply as possible. That way I can tell people how much the guitar cost and point out how they are getting $3,000 tone from an instrument that cost less than $500 (including the cost of upgrades). It comes with chrome hardware so that's what it's going to have.
^Good kits are out there, they are just hard to find.

Quote by guitarcam123
very nice plan of attack

yeah... Truth is, cheap guitars that are well setup generally sound and play just as nice as expensive ones. I figure that if all the people with good low cost instruments upgrade pickups instead of the guitar then I'll sell more product, but I also do honestly believe that upgrading pickups is better than upgrading guitars 9 times out of 10. Although many people here have forgotten, I do build guitars too but in the world of electric guitars I think a good carpenter is just as good as a luthier so I choose to focuse on what I believe really makes a difference. You can actually read the story on the about us section on my website.

I've done a little more on the finish. I play sitting down so the back will be warn the most where it props on my leg and where the top rests against me. I do play standing up a little so a went ahead and put a slightly lighter patch all the way across the waist of the guitar. Because I'm using very dark garnet shellac the whole finish will continue to get darker and browner as I apply more coats and that will even out the fading quite a bit. I'm also going to finish inside the cavities (except the neck cavity of course) which is why I've been so half hazard and haven't tried to keep any of the die or shellac out of them.

Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 21, 2009,
looks real vintage - Kudos!

Shouldn't you be wearing gloves or is this different than normal stain?
Gloves are not a must with shellac. Shellac it's self is nontoxic and so it the dye that I'm using. The toxic thing is the denatured alcohol (methylated spirit) and that is only toxic if you drink large quantities of it. It's actually the main ingredient in perfume. Shellac is also great for sealing cuts and burns and actually does more to prevent infection than a band aid.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Gloves are not a must with shellac. Shellac it's self is nontoxic and so it the dye that I'm using. The toxic thing is the denatured alcohol (methylated spirit) and that is only toxic if you drink large quantities of it. It's actually the main ingredient in perfume. Shellac is also great for sealing cuts and burns and actually does more to prevent infection than a band aid.

Formaldehyde must be a great thing to have in your stomach.
I didnt know that about shellac, very interesting.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by XgamerGt04
Formaldehyde must be a great thing to have in your stomach.

Shellac is a natural resin, which doesn't contain formaldehyde itself. It can be supplemented with formaldehyde, but we should assume that Cord's variety hasn't been.
^I mix my own shellac so it's dried lack flakes, methylated spirit. Methylated spirit does contain toxic chemicals but it would take a lot of exposure to get any harmful effects when absorbed through the skin. If it were that dangerous they wouldn't be able to use it in things like toothpaste, mouthwash, and perfume. I think what Xgamer was referring to is the fact that the methanol in the denatured alcohol can change into formaldehyde if ingested.

and back to the topic...

I've finished with the colouring and the garnet colour shellac. It's now a very deep brown that fades into a nice rich garnet colour. The picture makes the colour look much darker than it really is.

After the finish dried enough I finished lining up the neck and glued it on.

After that dries I'm going to clearcoat the guitar and then do some sanding and polishing.
That actually looks sick.
I liked the colour better when it was lighter,
but whatever. It still looks really good.
is the pickup routes (neck pickup route in particular) not centered? It looks like its unstraight compared to the neck pocket?
Quote by CorduroyEW
I think what Xgamer was referring to is the fact that the methanol in the denatured alcohol can change into formaldehyde if ingested.

That would be it, its always awesome having a freshman chemistry teacher who is an alcoholic. The guitar looks nice as well. Can't wait to hear it when its done.
Quote by melvinator24
Looks good now i want one of these kits

If you want to feel like you are actually building a guitar rather than just bolting together a few parts then these LP kits really are great. I highly recomend them. I did get the last mahogany body one but he will be getting more and I'm pretty sure he offers a preorder discount too.

Quote by guitarcam123
is the pickup routes (neck pickup route in particular) not centered? It looks like its unstraight compared to the neck pocket?

They look off center but they aren't. The routing is a bit sloppy and isn't symetrical which makes them look like they are sitting more to the treble side than they are. On top of that, the tennon on the neck sits about 1/4" closer to the bass side and the body it routed to fit which means things don't run in a streight line.
That dye looks absolutely fantastic mate. What's happening now? Neck still setting?
Page 1 of 4