Hello, just restrung my rg2ex1 and i went from 0.09-.42 to 0.11 - .49, now i got the because i like to play 4 semitones down. now is it safe for my guitar, or shouild i get thicker string, can there be such a thing as to little tension?
Lol.
YES. There is such a thing as too little tension.
When your strings fit on the guitar like wet noodles.

What tuning are you in? C? B?
Quote by Twisted Magnum
I'd throw a Marshall MG at him while he succumbs to tone killing gain.

Quote by King Krapp
Spend all $200 on M&M's, then find a friend with an acoustic, and fill the body with them. Why? Because you can.

I'd go thicker still for 4 semitones down, will sound a lot better imo
Tuning down two steps to C Standard? That's brave.

Those .11s on a 25.5" scale guitar should be okay for that. Certainly not too loose, though they could be a little too tight for the current truss rod tension if the guitar was previously used with .09 strings. It wouldn't hurt to very slightly tighten your neck's truss rod.

Quote by rorywal
I'd go thicker still for 4 semitones down, will sound a lot better imo
Even thicker strings, downtuned that much? Are you kidding me? That's a recipe for awful tone. .11 really is as thick as he should go.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Mar 20, 2009,
this is my current tuning. C F A# D# G C
the string feel ok, not to bad actually, not very stringy but its very easy to bend up 2 or 3 semitones. what you suggest for 4 semitones? something like this ?13-17-26-36-46-56. also will i have to do work on the nut to fit that?
also what would be safe for this string guage, 2 semitones or 3?
Last edited by ericm115 at Mar 20, 2009,
I suggest you use this...

http://www.pacificsites.net/~dog/StringTensionApplet.html

My app of choice when coming up with tunings and string gauges to accomodate my existing setup. As long as tension across the neck is consistent, you should only have to adjust your intonation.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
i suggest geting even thicker strings, like the dean markley LTBH, great if you like thin strings, and a great bass..

but don't try this with a standard tuning, it may damage your guitar with too much tension =]
Quote by MrFlibble
Tuning down two steps to C Standard? That's brave.

What's the big deal with drop tuning?
I was in A a week ago :\
It's not a big thing, as long as you have proper gauge, you'll be fine. Ignore the people who think there's something more to it.
Unless you have a Floyd, there is nothing to worry about.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
I'd throw a Marshall MG at him while he succumbs to tone killing gain.

Quote by King Krapp
Spend all $200 on M&M's, then find a friend with an acoustic, and fill the body with them. Why? Because you can.