Page 1 of 2
I like emgs.

Hate actives

So are there any pickups that can match the emg 81 and 85 but that are passive?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
if you like EMG's. then ... buy them...

edit: if you like EMG's, but hate active pickups, but.... like EMG's,...and want EMG tone...
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
I dont see whats so bad about actives, sure they have a bad clean tone but if you like the sound of EMG's a battery is a small price to pay.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Oosh.
I dont see whats so bad about actives, sure they have a bad clean tone but if you like the sound of EMG's a battery is a small price to pay.

I like the sound I get from them when I play heavy stuff but when I play clean I want something just a tad more...cleaner (lol) ala passive.

Bottom line, instead of debating why not reccomend?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
DiMarzio D-Activators are designed to sound active (like EMGs) within the constraints of a passive pickup. They could have been disastrous but they pretty much worked and retained most of the benefits of both pickup types. Recommended.

Edit: Mixing active and passives is tricky and a waste of time but with the D-Activators you have the option of switching from that sound to a passive neck model so try it alongside (ideally) a DiMarzio Breed neck model. If you use the Breed for your cleaner or Bluesier tones you should be satisfied.
Last edited by Rock Pig at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I like the sound I get from them when I play heavy stuff but when I play clean I want something just a tad more...cleaner (lol) ala passive.

because you explained it very poorly.
by that explanation, it infers that you also like actives, because you like the high gain tone that they can deliver.
it's a trade off bud.
███████████████████████████████████
just get a high output passive for the bridge and a good pup for the neck for cleans

my friend had a bill lawrence 500 the dimebag original pickup it sounded really good for metal but i just have basic knowledge about pups so yeah
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Bareknuckles

This, check out the Nailbomb
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
EMG-HZ. It's a passive EMG. My Jackson Dinky DXMG came with 2, one in the bridge and one in the neck. Great cleans, and heavy as a ton of bricks.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
You could try putting a passive pickup in the neck for clean tones and an emg in the bridge. Just an option. Or buy a bad guitar and put Emgs on it (Pretty much the only difference between low end and midrange Ibanez guitars) and put some good passive pickups on your current guitar
Quote by Oosh.

This is like the 5th time someone has reccomended me these.

I think it's time I check them out.

My Jackson sl2 is on it's way and I wanted something HEAVVVVY for the bridge pickup. That's really all I might replace.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by Oosh.

Ummm.....Nailbombs don't sound anything like EMG's. The Warpigs are about as close as Bare Knuckle makes, but they still sound a good bit different.

EDIT: For reference sake, the Nailbombs really accentuate the high mids and sound more "airy" than a lot of other pickups. They're very high output, but seem to be made more for accentuating leads as opposed to the more crisp low end you get from some other pickups. That said, they're fantastic for what they do and are certainly amongst my favorite pickups (I have a set in my backup guitar at the moment), but it seems that a lot of people who haven't used them extensively have misconceptions about what they do best.

To sum it up, the Nailbomb is a metal pickup that doesn't like metal.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Last edited by Kendall at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by tona_107
because you explained it very poorly.
by that explanation, it infers that you also like actives, because you like the high gain tone that they can deliver.
it's a trade off bud.

how do you infer ts likes actives when ts clearly says "i hate actives"? lol
Quote by Kendall
Ummm.....Nailbombs don't sound anything like EMG's. The Warpigs are about as close as Bare Knuckle makes, but they still sound a good bit different.

Wrong. Miracle Mans, or maybe even Cold Sweats.
If you're going with Bare Knuckles (which is pricey but the best thing you can ever do for your guitar) I advise a Miracle Man in the bridge and a Cold Sweat in the neck. The Cold Sweat neck model is actually alnico 5 and it does good clean and lower gain tones. The Miracle Man is ceramic and is ideal for EMGish tones.
If you're dead set on a passive EMG tone the D-Activators are still probably the best you can get but the Bare Knuckles are just better pickups IMO. More refined.
no passive pickups sound liek actives, only one solution get the actives, and dont listen to what people say about emg actives having crappy cleans, not true
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
use passive pickups of your choice and add a EMG afterburner or PA2 boost circuit to your guitar. You can pretty much get an EMG low impedance tone at a flip of a switch.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
You can do the 18V mod to get a better clean tone out of them. I hear the EMG-X's have a more passive tone. You can probably do the 18V mod to the EMG-X's and see what happens.
Quote by Waylanderau
Perhaps the EMG HZ H-4, from what I read it's literally just a passive 81. Pickups are always a bit of a punt sadly, as most places won't let you give them a whirl for a few day and bring them back if they don't suit.

+1
Thats and option as well and I have a set for sale or trade
Quote by Rock Pig
DiMarzio D-Activators are designed to sound active (like EMGs) within the constraints of a passive pickup. They could have been disastrous but they pretty much worked and retained most of the benefits of both pickup types. Recommended.

Edit: Mixing active and passives is tricky and a waste of time but with the D-Activators you have the option of switching from that sound to a passive neck model so try it alongside (ideally) a DiMarzio Breed neck model. If you use the Breed for your cleaner or Bluesier tones you should be satisfied.

they are made to sound like actives but they dont. The tone is somewhere between a passive and an active, but WAAAY mroe passive sounding than it is active sounding. and the output is nowhere near that of an active. To get active tone with better cleans, get an 81/60 set and 18v mod it. Yeah i have the d activator x, which is the higher output version. Cleans are OK and distortion sounds nice, but definitely impossible to confuse with active tone. really. It's nowhere close.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
hmmm

emg x's.....
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet

the biggest problem is output. EMG's have a high output, therefore most passive pickups that match the tone will have the same charecteristics. I.e., a not so clean tone.

it's harder to clean up a tone then to dirty it up, right? i siggest that you start with a lower output set of passives and add gain on top f that ti aceive your ideal tone. after all, EVH's pickup is technically broken, it mesured 0 when the fender custom shop tested it for output.

Tons of people with lots of gain use lower output Pickups. SLash uses Alnico Pro IIs and George Lynch says that recently, he has been lowering the output pickups he uses (i know the Sceaming Demon is high output, but iread in an interview that he uses less output now).
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by BUSTEDlip8
how do you infer ts likes actives when ts clearly says "i hate actives"? lol

Quote by TheBodomBullet

You're a dumbass.
learn how to read.
case closed.
If you want a clean tone from your emg's, roll back the volume on the guitar. I play 81's through a 5150 stack, and I can still get those bitches to sparkle. It's all about messing with the levels.
I have a set of passive EMGs that I took out of my guitar to replace with actives. They sound ok if you're playing thru a solid state amp, but if you're using a tube amp they sound way too muddy to do metal.
Quote by tona_107
You're a dumbass.
learn how to read.
case closed.

YOU'RE the dumbass

YOU learn how to read

case open.

Let me see if I can interpret this into simpler forms.

I like EMG's. The sound of them when I play heavier stuff. They pick up pinch harmonics great and have a great overally sound.

I don't like actives as a whole, because while I do like emg's, I still definetely want a passive. Nothing to do with the battery and whatnot.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by Redsox4ever5955
what about emg 81 in your bridge for you metal tone, and the 60 in ur neck for the clean tones.

this.
ok look into emg h4 passive humbucker. its the same as the emg 81 but in passive form.so you will still get the heavier sound out of it. an look into the EMG F-H3A Passive Humbucker .
Quote by TheBodomBullet
YOU'RE the dumbass

YOU learn how to read

case open.

Let me see if I can interpret this into simpler forms.

I like EMG's. The sound of them when I play heavier stuff. They pick up pinch harmonics great and have a great overally sound.

I don't like actives as a whole, because while I do like emg's, I still definetely want a passive. Nothing to do with the battery and whatnot.

i hope you die in a freak oil fire accident in the middle of the pacific ocean when you're trying to free willy in a better rewrite of free willy 2
Quote by tona_107
i hope you die in a freak oil fire accident in the middle of the pacific ocean when you're trying to free willy in a better rewrite of free willy 2

I smell a challenge

-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
DiMarzio D Activators.

/thread
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I smell a challenge

bring it on.

I say you just get the EMGs man, nothing like em.

BTW TS, I see you use a Bugera 6262. Are they good for heavy stuff (Cannibal Corpse, Slayer, Death, Lamb of God, Metallica, CoB, etc.) and cleans? I know they are fairly cheap for what they are, and Im looking to upgrade to a tube amp from my ****ty Spider.
Quote by MetalOblivion93
The Philosopher = Smart
The Philosopher = Win

Quote by sashki
Slayer wrote a negative song about you because you considered the possibility of them writing a positive song.

JOIN THE PS3 ALLIANCE GROUP
Duncan Blackouts.

that is if you still want actives.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 21, 2009,
Page 1 of 2