Okay, so I'm in the market for a new amp. I have a vox 10 watt modeling amp and an ibanez toneblaster halfstack at the moment. I play all kinds of stuff, mainly rock and metal and my guitars are ibanez adx120, fender american standard tele and a gibson les paul standard. I have a multi effects unit but i never really use it.

So whenever i play i usually just plug straight in. i cant really seem to get a good tone out of my amps. the vox has decent cleans when the builtin effects are turned up, but the distortion is extremely muddy and the toneblaster doesnt have any clarity either. i dont push my gain all that much but i keep it heavy enough for modern hard rock and such and even with my les paul and a short cable i don't get much sustain at all.

I'm looking for an amp thats fairly versatile yet not too complicated. im not into a milllion features like built in effects. im looking for tubes because every tube amp ive played kills my solid states easily. i was hoping two channels. built in reverb doesnt matter either way. i want something that can go from nice cleans into acdc like crunch and some more modern rock up to modern metal. i.e. bfmv and trivium stuff without too much trouble but that isnt too heavy for softer styles. i like pretty pristine cleans but i can always roll back guitar volume so the clean channel doesnt have to be the greatest in the world. i want really clear defined tube distortion.

I play lead guitar in a few local bands and i want something i can use for all of them. kind of a plug in and go amp. im not into heavy effects and id probably only use the footswitch and something like a decimator to kill the noise.

Ive been debating between marshalls, peaveys, mesa's and all kinds of other stuff. I cant really find my match and im really going back and forth on what to get. money isnt too much of a problem as long as the head isnt more than about 1800 to 2000 dollars at max. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks alot.
-Monty
Last edited by Monty L. at Mar 20, 2009,
Paragraphs, buddy.

Paragraphs.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
...wat?

Quote by VisionaryTics
Paragraphs, buddy.

Paragraphs.

yes, this.
███████████████████████████████████
I read through all your essay, and my answer is simple.

Randall RM50/100H, with a Blackface module for cleans, a Plexi/Brown for AC/DC and hard rock crunch, and whatever high gain module you so choose (I personally dig the XTC which is based off the Bogner Ecstasy).

Covers everything you want. And the best part? If you don't like one of the modules, just switch them and you get a totally new amp.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Thanks, I'll look into the randall. Is it a tube or a solid state though? I'm not too familiar with randalls.
so
P.S. I went back and made it into paragraphs. It should be easier to read now.
It's all tube. You can get a RM100H with the Blackface, Plexi and XTC modules at Musicians Friend right now for about $1800.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
That sounds about perfect. Thanks again. ANy reccomendations on a speaker cab for it. is the matching cab decent?
As a rule, Randall cabs are good, but you already have a cab so why bother with a new one? Just swap the speakers in it if you don't like the tone. If nothing else, Ibanez cabs are pretty solid.
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah I'll use the ibanez cab. With a good head it should sound fine and if its like my ibanez guitar, it should be able to take a beating. Is there any kind of footswitch for the head? i went on musiciansfriend and found the loaded one with those pramps. it seems great, but i didnt see any kind of footswitch
Comes with a RF3 MIDI footswitch.
Quote by Cathbard
Perfect. I'm just going to see if i can find some clips of the audio and i should be ordering one soon. I love the flexability and the fact that it's still all tube. It should be easy to get the tone i want. Thanks alot.