How do you get used to playing new/alternate/complicated chords?
I was writing a song the other day and I used a chord that used a barre with the index and a really awkward shape with the rest of my fingers and at first I could not transition from the previous chord to that one in time. But I've been repeating the chord progression a lot since yesterday and now it seems really easy.

It reminded me of how I felt when I first started playing guitar and tried to get from a C to a G smoothly.

So does anybody have any other techniques for getting used to complicated chords?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Try playing exercises that require awkward finger positions.
Other than that just keep doing what you're doing, playing them over and over again, you'll get them eventually.

EDIT: If you need something to practice with, try these jazz chords:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/chords/jazz_chords.html
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
Last edited by Gigatiran at Mar 20, 2009,
just repeat it over and over and over and over and over again and then the fingers memorize" how the chord should be like.... i don't have any other explanation

Try to exercise with those "awkward" chords as you call them.
Last edited by sfaune92 at Mar 20, 2009,
cool advice, but you know guys, it really hurts my fingers and I am starting to build callouses, it's really hard for a woman to play it,
somehow, what would be the family chord that would most help a beginner to start with.
Pure practice.
Everything that seemed so complicated to me in the beginning are so easy now.
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
I sometimes "layer" the notes.

I ll "build" the chord while strumming while incorporating open notes or other tones to make it sound more fluid. I guess thats the best way to descibe it. I dont have a way to record it visually so I cant show you. Its basically using the same "beginners" approach to making chords: one note at a time only I lay down at least three notes (depending on what chord Im using) and build the rest one or two notes at a time after that. I have never been able to make perfect transitions unless they were open chords or very basic barre chords, and even then I still like to build them sometimes. (depends on what I want to achieve.)
Play the Art that Plays
Quote by mukumuku
cool advice, but you know guys, it really hurts my fingers and I am starting to build callouses, it's really hard for a woman to play it,
somehow, what would be the family chord that would most help a beginner to start with.

Family chord is exactly right. All chords are going to be based upon similar shapes. Personally, I don't really try to memorize each chord type as such, just the way it sounds and the way it changes the basic major, minor, and 7th chords that I already know.

Also, finger callouses are a normal part of a guitarists' development. I took a year hiatus and they didn't go away. It's part of the deal.
Oh god, one of the people in this thread copied my DP, and some "complicated" chords, are just adding a finger or taking a finger off, this is in their most basic voicings of course ^_^
Quote by mukumuku
"oh no I can't play chords cos I'm just a feeble little girlie" - if thats your attitude get back in the kitchen! Take your guitar with you tho....

Start with open major and minor chords, then when you can switch smoothly between them learn E and A shaped barre chords. Learn how chords are constructed at the same time so you can work out more complicated chords when you get there. And stop whinging - ofc it hurts til your fingers toughen up. Keep playing provided its only the tips of your fingers that are sore and your fingers will toughen up quicker.
Quote by zhilla
"oh no I can't play chords cos I'm just a feeble little girlie" - if thats your attitude get back in the kitchen! Take your guitar with you tho....

Start with open major and minor chords, then when you can switch smoothly between them learn E and A shaped barre chords. Learn how chords are constructed at the same time so you can work out more complicated chords when you get there. And stop whinging - ofc it hurts til your fingers toughen up. Keep playing provided its only the tips of your fingers that are sore and your fingers will toughen up quicker.

Haha. I don't see why people have that attitude, you don't even need much pressure to fret.