I know it has no OD channel, but does it take pedals well? Are the cleans good?

Because if its only $250 for a half-stack you got nothing to lose.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Define metal? Because Black Sabbath is very different from Killswitch Engage which, in turn, is different from Metallica. It's a wide genre.

To give you my opinion - a VJ, fully cranked, with an overdrive pedal MIGHT be able to reach Sabbath-type gain. For anything more br00tal, which, given that you seem to be a fan of Disturbed, I'm assuming you play, you'll need something like a Metal Muff or even that Digitech you have should do the job.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
And no, the VJ does not have good cleans. It's pretty much a one-trick pony; all it has on its own is that bluesy crunch sound.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
i use the epi VJ halfstack for metal with a few pedals in front and it sounds great. i use it at bedroom volumes with a metal muff and an eq pedal and it does what i need from black sabbath to pantera to lamb of god and in between.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
depends on what type of metal, even with a distortion pedal you probably wouldn't be able to get a really tight death metal sound, because the amp breaks up too early, and power tube saturation is really bad for that type of sound, which is why you never see low wattage metal amps.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Well if you read the title, it says WIT PEDALS. And I play all types of stuff, from BTBAM, Buckethead, Pantera, KsE and yes, some Disturbed but I have really grown out of that band and I'd really like to change my username.

I need good cleans though, so I don't know if I should get it.

So it CAN play metal with a high gain disto. pedal, am I correct?
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Anything can play metal with an uber-br00tal distortion pedal, it just won't sound very good.
Quote by Cathbard
depends on what kind of metal, as I said it will have problems if you want a really tight high gain sound, even with pedals.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Ok so I don;t think I'll buy it because I want a good sound. I was just wondering what this would sound like seeing as how its the cheapest half-stack on the market
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Ok so I don;t think I'll buy it because I want a good sound. I was just wondering what this would sound like seeing as how its the cheapest half-stack on the market

I had one and it lasted about a week before I sold it. Theres alot better options out there.
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-

I have a Valve JR.....I call it the AC/DC amp!.....Did that help?
If you buy 1 out of a box and plug it in no it wont do metal very well. The cab really needs to be closed back for that, not that hard to do. And you definately need some sort of EQ. But with the single volume control it isnt very versatile. Itll clean up with the vol way down cranked the power tube saturation wont agree with most metal tones well. It really needs mods to be of much use and to get good tone from it. Some mods are pretty cheap just swapping caps or resisters, or buying pots.This would get you a tone stack and gain volume controls. Then it would work pretty good with pedals and be alot more versatile. There are tons more mods but get more expensive with rewire for extra tubes or better OT.
judas priest is metal if you can't get to at least classic metal with a VJ and pedals...........it's not the amps fault!
Quote by Tackleberry
If you buy 1 out of a box and plug it in no it wont do metal very well. The cab really needs to be closed back for that, not that hard to do. And you definately need some sort of EQ. But with the single volume control it isnt very versatile. Itll clean up with the vol way down cranked the power tube saturation wont agree with most metal tones well. It really needs mods to be of much use and to get good tone from it. Some mods are pretty cheap just swapping caps or resisters, or buying pots.This would get you a tone stack and gain volume controls. Then it would work pretty good with pedals and be alot more versatile. There are tons more mods but get more expensive with rewire for extra tubes or better OT.

Actually even the cab being sealed wont get it into a tight metal realm. I tried sealing and even with a vintage 30 dropped in it. It sounded like it didnt have enough air space, had some resonance issues and it lost alot of definition.
Never said putting a piece of wood over the hole in the back of the cab would make it a metal monster. Helps, but its easy enough to buy a different cab. A feedback loop wired into the amp makes a difference in the bottom end. Theres plenty of mods to make it do just about anything. Stock their not very good amps.
mine does megadeth pretty good with volume halve way and a tube screamer.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
With amp modeling and a few pedals I'm finding it will do just about anything and alot better then the standard fair modeling amps. Tube changes make it even better. For bedroom practice this is perfect for me. I do have a quite a bit of money plugged into it with the POD and boutique pedals, but it does exactly what I want it to do at the volumes I want.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by shadow__666
Anything can play metal with an uber-br00tal distortion pedal, it just won't sound very good.

^ this.

As long as you invest in a quality distortion pedal, you can play it through anything you want and get a fairly similar sound: the sound of the distortion pedal. That won't sound nearly as good as an amp actually voiced for metal, but like shadow_666 said...
I hate to use a distortion pedal on tube amps, just feels like your using the amp wrong. Maybe if you get mxr 10 band eq, boost up the gain and level, and get an OD with a decent amount of gain, you might be able to get metal, but not the brootalz.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Anything can do metal with a proper distortion pedal, even a PA system. But amp distortion sounds better. You've really got two options here:
-Buy a cheap amp with good cleans (maybe a Vox Pathfinder) and use your pedals for metal.
-Get an amp mostly intended for metal (Peavey Vypyr?) and use amp distortion (you might sacrifice a bit of the great clean sound)
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-

it's not a "half stack"

a half stack is a head on a 4x12 cab, the VJ is just a little head on a little cab. It's not relaly a metal amp no matter what you plug into it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ok guys, thanks for the input. I was actually looking at B-52 instead. I wasn;t really considering buyin the VJ unless it kicked ass which I didn;t expect it to.

Thanks
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz