What kind of wattage are we looking at to be heard over the drums during a gig? I mean without plugging into a PA system or having the mic's on the amp. Just wondering if 250 watt amp is over the top and not needed or what.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
Depends on the size of the gig, but if you've got the money I'd go for something around 300watts (not Behringer), you could probably get away with 200 but its always nice to have head room.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
general rule of thumb is to have at least 3-4x the wattage of your guitarist. aka 100 watt amp 300 watts or more is the best rule. any less than that and you'll get lost.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
Quote by cthuludawn21
general rule of thumb is to have at least 3-4x the wattage of your guitarist. aka 100 watt amp 300 watts or more is the best rule. any less than that and you'll get lost.

What if like, I have a 100 watt amp, and my other lead guitarist has a 100 watt amp, would our bassist need a 600 watt amp?
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by Corruption
What if like, I have a 100 watt amp, and my other lead guitarist has a 100 watt amp, would our bassist need a 600 watt amp?

No, the bassist would only need 300-400 watts because you do not ADD the watts together. Just because there is two 100 watt amps does not mean that there is need to double the bass watts.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
Theres so many factors, but 300-400, is generally a comfortable range for most people.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Depends on where you're playing too. I've heard a 250 person church sound good with 60 watts. Clubs are a different story. Also depends on the preamp. Growly sounds with lots of harmonics will sound louder than a very clean sound. I would say that playing live in a club you need an absolute minimum of 300 watts, preferably more if you can afford it. I don't think that "being heard over the drummer" is the issue in a live club environment, it's more like cutting through the crappy acoustics and the fact that you have omnidirectional bass having to fill up a huge room full of people who absorb it, and walls that make the soundwaves cancel each other out.
Last edited by corndogggy at Mar 20, 2009,
I played in front of about 20 people in a basement sized club last weekend, and I couldn't imagine having any less power than the 500-600W I had.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I played in front of about 20 people in a basement sized club last weekend, and I couldn't imagine having any less power than the 500-600W I had.

20 ****ing people?!?!?!

Egad man when you were talking I thought you meant you played for about 50 people! Your band must play ridiculously loud.

Okay so TS, don't disregard this crazy guy's post but instead use it to prove that different people need very different wattages. Like me for example, was playing with no PA support for about 50 people in a pretty small room, and was up against 80 tube watts on guitar, and my 500 watts was pretty decently sized.
imo, a regular gigging bass player needs a 400w to 500w amp, a 4x10 cab for small
venues, and an 8x10 cab(or equivilant) for larger venues. having a sub cab (1x15", 1x18", 2x12") would really help add some "balls" when playing without a P.A.
a general rule of thumb, if your going to mic the kick drum, you should also mic/direct
line the bass.
What are the suggested wattage levels for the different sizes of venues? Like from around 50, from 50 - 100, from 100 - 200ish+, from a couple hundred, and then for outdoors?
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by IndianRockStar
20 ****ing people?!?!?!

Egad man when you were talking I thought you meant you played for about 50 people! Your band must play ridiculously loud.

Okay so TS, don't disregard this crazy guy's post but instead use it to prove that different people need very different wattages. Like me for example, was playing with no PA support for about 50 people in a pretty small room, and was up against 80 tube watts on guitar, and my 500 watts was pretty decently sized.

*shrugs*

That's how we roll, son. I play for the size of the room, not the amount of people in it. But I'm not lying when I say I saw three people grab their ears, duck, and move 30 feet away from the stage when we started playing.

Quote by Helbent Revenge
What are the suggested wattage levels for the different sizes of venues? Like from around 50, from 50 - 100, from 100 - 200ish+, from a couple hundred, and then for outdoors?

At least 500W. Then offset volume with the appropriately named knob.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 21, 2009,
Pro Tip

Any venue you play big enough to need more then 300w will have PA. My 250w amp has performed outstandingly in both a gymnasium, the smallish sized (maybe 50 ppl) club of Fitsgeralds in a 500 seat auditorium, and in a 700 seat theatre. The gym had no PA, and was by far the largest and most acoustically challenging. But I still filled the gym with sound without pushing my amp over 50% volume
Well, then it really depends on your sound or the PA,s, i wou;ld still prefer a bigger rig for bigger venues. But then again, all be a millionaire by then, and probably wont even have to play bass in the gigs, will get someone to do it for me.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul