So I saw this nice electric guitar (tele style) in a pawn shop recently, for 60 bucks. I was counting on buying it, then sanding down, repainting (all black) and putting on some cream-colored binding, plus gold hardware and changing the pickups. Thing is, I have no clue on how to bind a guitar. Do you absolutely need to route out wood along the body's curve ?
Quote by Dog
You must be able to tremolo pick like a mad man.

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
How the **** do you jerk off?

Oh yeah: I'm a French-Canadian so excuse my English .
Last edited by el toro DKiAB at Mar 20, 2009,
yes, a small amount must be cut off. google and see if someone has a good tutorial.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by el toro DKiAB
So I saw this nice electric guitar (tele style) in a pawn shop recently, for 60 bucks. I was counting on buying it, then sanding down, repainting (all black) and putting on some cream-colored binding, plus gold hardware and changing the pickups. Thing is, I have no clue on how to bind a guitar. Do you need to have a bit of the wood carved out so the binding replaces it ?

Clicky...
Last edited by Skeet UK at Mar 20, 2009,
http://guitarattack.com/fm3gold.htm

some excellent tips on binding are in that article.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Thing is I've already checked google and didnt find much. So I thought, why not ask the experts here at the GB & C forum ?

EDIT:Oh well I guess I won't be doing it since I have no access to power tools. Thanks anyways guys ! If you ever hear of a method without a router send me a link please lol.
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Quote by el toro DKiAB
Thing is I've already checked google and didnt find much. So I thought, why not ask the experts here at the GB & C forum ?

EDIT:Oh well I guess I won't be doing it since I have no access to power tools. Thanks anyways guys ! If you ever hear of a method without a router send me a link please lol.

There is no reason why you cant do it by hand, if you are very careful and take your time.

Get a craft knife, and attach it to a dowel or similar, so that you can run it around the side and have the craft knife score the top of the guitar, slightly less than the width of the binding you have/buy.

Then do the same around the side of the guitar, slightly less than the height of the binding.

Then you can continue with the craft knife, deepening the cuts until the wood falls away. Change blades often.

Glue in binding, scrape, done.

The binding is only thin, so a sharp knife will cut that wood away easily. I managed to increase the Trem rout on my guitar with a craft knife, cleanly too!

Also, try asking your neighbours or friends etc. Someone will have a router.
Craft knife ? Is that like an exacto ? And what's a dowel ? Sorry, I'm a french-canadian and not familiar with english names . But thank you, because I really want to try that, so at least not all hope is given up.
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Quote by el toro DKiAB
Craft knife ? Is that like an exacto ? And what's a dowel ? Sorry, I'm a french-canadian and not familiar with english names . But thank you, because I really want to try that, so at least not all hope is given up.

Yeah an Exacto, or a surgical scalpel with replaceable blades.

A dowel is a cylindrical bit of wood. But any wood really.

Check this out.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim/Tools_and_supplies_for_binding:_Binding_channel_cutting/Sloane_Purfling_Cutter.html

Something like that.
is this tool allyou need to bind a guitar?

and how do i remove binding to replace it? how do i figure out what i need for replacement binding?
Quote by savage94
is this tool allyou need to bind a guitar?

and how do i remove binding to replace it? how do i figure out what i need for replacement binding?

That tool is actually for cutting a purfling channel, but something similar could cut a binding channel.

You have binding to remove?

What do you mean, "how do I figure out what I need for replacement binding?"?

Go to that website again, they sell everything you could ever need and loads you would never need.
Thanks a whole lot Skeet ! I think I'll take my chances using just a knife or I'll look around for that kinda tool, because 50 bucks online is a bit harsh for me. I'm still just an unemployed student ya know ...

I think he was asking on how to place binding on the guitar, or how to make it look nice once he's finished removing it. Not sure though lol.
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Quote by el toro DKiAB
Thanks a whole lot Skeet ! I think I'll take my chances using just a knife or I'll look around for that kinda tool, because 50 bucks online is a bit harsh for me. I'm still just an unemployed student ya know ...

I think he was asking on how to place binding on the guitar, or how to make it look nice once he's finished removing it. Not sure though lol.

As long as you use some jig to guide it, all should go well.
Well I was thinking about sketching the binding using a pencil and then ripping the wood using a blade fixed to a block of wood. I got a pretty steady hand ... would that work ? And also, why crunch in the wood a bit less than the thickness/height of the binding ? To sand the remaining wood out so it fit perfectly ?
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Quote by el toro DKiAB
Well I was thinking about sketching the binding using a pencil and then ripping the wood using a blade fixed to a block of wood. I got a pretty steady hand ... would that work ? And also, why crunch in the wood a bit less than the thickness/height of the binding ? To sand the remaining wood out so it fit perfectly ?

Nope. You scrape the binding down to fit the wood.
o.O
Isn't that kinda long ? Maybe I'll go the lazy way and use some very fine grit sandpaper to sand off the extra binding. Won't have that glossy look though ... hummm. Maybe it would look original .

I understand how you can easily reduce the height. But how do you do for the thickness without making it fugly :S ?
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Cam, from what I hear your descriptive thingy under your username, ''the guy without lumber'' doenst stand anymore. Lucky you ! I wish I had the tooling and the skills to build myself something schweet. But for now I refinish and mod. Oh well.

Oh and I don't know about using a chisel ... too big me thinks, not accurate enough.
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Kind of a threadjack here but while we're on the topic, what'd you guys do, do the binding properly, as in route out the channel around the guitar or paint a binding on.

I can do either. But painting a binding on is easier, although it could scrape off if you banged the guitar or something.
what? Binding usually glued into a routed binding channel around the guitar.

It can be painted on, but will likely come off as you said
Like that would be accurate. But I don't know ... I'll give it a shot though. Thanks for the idea .

And I really don't like the idea of painting it on. I don't think it would go off if you painted directly the wood and then coated the guitar, but it would just feel so cheap.
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Quote by el toro DKiAB
o.O
Isn't that kinda long ? Maybe I'll go the lazy way and use some very fine grit sandpaper to sand off the extra binding. Won't have that glossy look though ... hummm. Maybe it would look original .

I understand how you can easily reduce the height. But how do you do for the thickness without making it fugly :S ?

I don't really care how you do it, to be honest, but binding is always scraped.

You use a scraper and draw it along the binding towards you, like a mini draw knife.

This will quickly reduce the binding and if done well, will leave it smooth (smoother than your sand paper idea).

Not sure what you mean about the fugly part.

If you use a guided blade, you don't need pencil lines, just run it round a few times on top and sides.

You could then use a sharp as hell chisel (small parring chisel or carving chisel), downwards.

Once you have scored the wood, it will be easier to remove cleanly.