I have a MG100HDFX head with the MG412 cab, and my guitar is the LTD Viper-400 with the stock EMG pick-ups in it. When I'm jamming with the band, and without, I notice that whenever I don't play the amp gives that screeching feedback sound and it's sort of a pain in the ass to have to damp the string everytime that I don't want any sound to come out. I have had the feedback ringing and found out that if I turn the gain down to like 2.5 it goes away. But that leaves the undesired effect that I want on my guitar.

My settings for the distortion are as follows: OD 2 ( or whichever the dirtier one is) gain 7, bass 4.5, mid 2, treble 7.5, contour 6.5, volume 6 and master volume is at 5-7 depending on how loud everyone else is.

I am plugging into a power supply, I dunno if that would effect it at all, and honestly when I'm not playing and its screeching I walk in all directions about 10 feet away from the amp and it still screams... can anyone offer some suggestions as to why this is happening. AND if there is a thread that answers these questions and more I'm sorry for putting this up, I tried to look for it but figured it would be better to ask.

Thanks -MF
well after reading a marshall thread here, it appears that the MG series totally sucks.... sigh I love expensive lessons in life!!
pull your gain down a little bit, but if you don't like that sound you may need a noise gate. The Rocktron Hush is a decent little noise gate and works quite well.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
High gain + Volume over 5 - Noise Suppressor = Feedback probability of 80%.

Lower the volume on your guitar a bit or nudge down the gain, then buy a noise suppressor.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Noticed the same problems using them at a practice room - only solution we found was to mute the strings or turn down the guitar volume.

I found that EMGs did it much less than my mate's Epiphone Les Paul stock pick ups though
Ok guys thanks for the input, a friend of mine has an Marshall and he told me that he loves having the gate on there. I will check out the Rocktron Hush as referred by opticon!

p.s. this site pwns the rest, honestly it's unparalleled!!
Quote by mjfarmz
Ok guys thanks for the input, a friend of mine has an Marshall and he told me that he loves having the gate on there. I will check out the Rocktron Hush as referred by opticon!

p.s. this site pwns the rest, honestly it's unparalleled!!

Spend some time in the pit before you praise it.

And Wa is the best.

Just for clarification.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you